USA Politics

To me it seems very strange that this "20 year old gunman" could hang around on top of a roof just a few steps away from Trump. Wouldn't such a behaviour cause questions? I mean, it doesn't look like a very decent modus operandi. Would I expose myself in such way if I was about to assassinate Trump (or any other of the most exposed and endangered persons on the planet)? Actually the entire securtiy should be fired suffering from collective stupidity if they tolarated such behaviour, even without any assassination attempt to happen at all.
Normally the security are the ones to be positioned on rooftops, right? So if one of the Secret Service guys instantly shoots at a person on a rooftop being suspected to be the gunman, the risk of friendly fire is quite high, isn't it? How sure can one be - within only seconds - not to shoot an own colleague?
Second strange thing is: With what type of bullet did the suspect fire at Trump? I mean, there's blood, but the ear is more or less unharmed. Where did the rest of the bullet end up and what damage was caused? And incidentally all this happenes only two days ahead of the big nomination circus party... Okay.
Anyway, listening to Maidens "The Assassin" now.

Last edited:
Republicans and their dipshit voters have been cheering on the deregulation of gun control (and mocking the victims of mass shootings) for the past 20 years and now it's bit them in the ass.

Will they learn anything from it? Fuck no. They're not capable of learning or taking responsibility. They're already figuring out how to blame Democrats despite that the shooter was one of them. But of course, every fuck up they make always gets blamed on someone else.

And Trump will milk this for all it's worth. He's now a martyr which makes him even more dangerous. They're already printing t-shirts.

And it wouldn't be any better had he died. The GOP would just nominate another lunatic (like Tucker Carlson) to replace him.

Republicans and their dipshit voters have been cheering on the deregulation of gun control (and mocking the victims of mass shootings) for the past 20 years and now it's bit them in the ass.

Will they learn anything from it? Fuck no. They're not capable of learning or taking responsibility. They're already figuring out how to blame Democrats despite that the shooter was one of them. But of course, every fuck up they make always gets blamed on someone else.

And Trump will milk this for all it's worth. He's now a martyr which makes him even more dangerous. They're already printing t-shirts.

And it wouldn't be any better had he died. The GOP would just nominate another lunatic (like Tucker Carlson) to replace him.
Naive optimistic me would think it's a wake up call that "Hey, maybe the rhetoric on our side's gone a bit too far where we're emboldening these crazies" now that the crazies appear to be eating their own. But, that's not what's going to happen.

Jesus Christ, are we debating JFK? Even if he was shot by Karl Marx resurrected himself, it doesn't matter anymore.

As it pertains to the shooting yesterday, the illusion that the US Secret Service protects perfectly is just that, an illusion. They do not have the staffing to cover every building, and usually farm that stuff out to local cops. In the USA, local cops are usually dumb, uneducated, and poorly paid, especially in smaller cities. A lot of them are Trump supporters. I'd be willing to bet $20 that if the shooter was challenged by a local cop, he just said "Oh I want a better vantage point to see the man" like a Trump supporter, and the dumb local guy let him. More likely they weren't doing that part of the job well, and generally, this is the kind of thing they catch. It's not a coincidence, there's no conspiracy here. No conspiracy worth anything allows for the benificiary of the conspiracy to come a wind's breath away from being shot in the head.

I think the takes that this helps Trump politically misses two things:

1: It assumes that there will be no escalation of political violence directed at someone on the left from now until November.

2: I continue to believe that Trump has his entire vote locked in and he can't do much beyond make his supporters "vote harder."

This has the potential to be the defining moment of the campaign and is certainly historic, but we're also living in a tumultuous and historic time for America anyway. I don't think Trump assassination attempt will be seen as an inflection point as much as another awful chapter in what has been a complete shitshow for American culture. Trump already encourages violent rhetoric and tried to stage a coup, so I have little sympathy for him as a person. But I don't like what this does to the American psyche. There are so many things about this election that are far from normal that I have given up on trying to guess on where we will end up in November. I will say though I am pretty exhausted living in a historic moment.

I also think it's entirely possible that this sort of thing actually hurts Trump politically. People are exhausted by the current political situation and I think most non-Trump voters correctly identify that the chaos and violence of the last 8 years are either an indirect or direct result of Trump's prominence on the political stage. I think there is a rational thought process that electing Trump is asking for four more years of this kind of chaos. I'm not sure if voters will be following that logic, but I do think it ultimately hurts Trump when he is dominating the news.

Finally, in a weird roundabout way this may ensure that Biden stays on the ticket as the media frenzy over this will allow Biden to run the clock to the convention.

Some of the conspiracy theories at the moment are kinda wild. Some are even claiming that the shooter went down the Epstein rabbit hole and snapped after the recently released documents.

Not that I think that this conspiracy has any merit. At the end of the day there are a million different reasons why someone might hate Trump. There are plenty of reasons why someone with a troubled mental health state could decide to do what the shooter did (not that I condone what happened).

As for "charged rhetoric" and what not: Conservatives have spent the last few years painting anyone left of them as "satanic and pedophilic groomers", exclaimed statements like "the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat" and continuously attacked marginalized communities, stoking the flames of hate crimes. The largest source of domestic terrorism in the US comes from the right wing. It's essentially a "leopard ate my face" situation.

Conservatives have been spewing monstrous rhetoric for quite a while. Look at how they reacted, especially Trump, when Nancy Pelosi's husband was attacked. In stark contrast, Biden, Obama and most Democrats immediately condemned yesterday's event. It makes sense anyway, since the current times are volatile and they don't want any MAGA moron snapping and trying to take out Democrats. Yet, despite the tact required to deal with this situation, it is also important to remain realistic and call out how dangerous another Trump presidency would be for multiple different groups of people, as well as the planet (considering the stances on NATO, Israel, Ukraine, climate change). The GOP is genuinely descending into fascism and we need to remember this at every point.

That said, it's fascinatingly ironic how after flirting with the idea for another civil war and sowing division between the sides, the most notable assassination attempt in the US for the last few decades ended up being enacted by a registered Republican.

I think the takes that this helps Trump politically misses two things:

1: It assumes that there will be no escalation of political violence directed at someone on the left from now until November.

2: I continue to believe that Trump has his entire vote locked in and he can't do much beyond make his supporters "vote harder."

This has the potential to be the defining moment of the campaign and is certainly historic, but we're also living in a tumultuous and historic time for America anyway. I don't think Trump assassination attempt will be seen as an inflection point as much as another awful chapter in what has been a complete shitshow for American culture. Trump already encourages violent rhetoric and tried to stage a coup, so I have little sympathy for him as a person. But I don't like what this does to the American psyche. There are so many things about this election that are far from normal that I have given up on trying to guess on where we will end up in November. I will say though I am pretty exhausted living in a historic moment.

I also think it's entirely possible that this sort of thing actually hurts Trump politically. People are exhausted by the current political situation and I think most non-Trump voters correctly identify that the chaos and violence of the last 8 years are either an indirect or direct result of Trump's prominence on the political stage. I think there is a rational thought process that electing Trump is asking for four more years of this kind of chaos. I'm not sure if voters will be following that logic, but I do think it ultimately hurts Trump when he is dominating the news.

Finally, in a weird roundabout way this may ensure that Biden stays on the ticket as the media frenzy over this will allow Biden to run the clock to the convention.

I would love to agree with this, but I think it's overestimating the voters. Not just US voters; people in general. I'm not saying it's something that important, btw, I don't think it will win him the election, just my tuppence (from a general, detached point of view) is that it will probably slightly help him and strengthen his position, if anything.

Especially with the situation reminiscing the best US president in history, hands down.

zwfo5u7vfd831.jpg

Don't know how much, probably not that much, but that's my intuition anyway. Although yes, like I said, it's reaping what he's been sowing for quite some time now. But I don't think the hoi polloi will think about it that way.

I agree with this. Latest events, weirdly, may mobilise not only Trump supporters but also moderate but still undecided voters to go and vote for Biden.

It would be the most hilariously 2024 thing if Trump being shot not only didn't help him, but actually hurt his numbers in November, because moderates can interpret the current events as being direct consequences to Trump's rhetoric since 2016 and the shooter was a Republican gun nut.

There is certainly a level of irony that Trump was almost murdered with an assault rifle. I'm not really sure how voters process any of it tbh. We have to keep in mind that JFK was 60 years ago and the attempt on Reagan was around 40. Presidents being assassinated is not something people are used to in America. A lot of the speculation here and around the net, while interesting, is ultimately fraught because this really is an unpredictable situation.

I would love to agree with this, but I think it's overestimating the voters. Not just US voters; people in general. I'm not saying it's something that important, btw, I don't think it will win him the election, just my tuppence (from a general, detached point of view) is that it will probably slightly help him and strengthen his position, if anything.
Maybe a hot take, but I think there is reason to think that voters/people in general actually are more rational than given credit for. The French election is a recent example of this, but even in America we've seen situations like in 2022 where voters in exit polls routinely expressed disapproval of Biden but still voted for the Democratic candidate in their house race because they didn't like how extreme Republicans were. Even in 2020, the primary selection as Joe Biden as the nominee was rooted in bigger picture strategic thinking on how to beat Trump (even though I believe the electability argument was flawed).

It is a lie that the documents are overdue. That is why it does not matter. In 2017 all documents were released excepting those marked as necessary for redaction by President Donald J. Trump. In 2022, President Joseph R. Biden ordered a review of the remaining documents and redactions and released thousands more. Only the President of the United States can choose when to release or unredact documents related to the Kennedy assassination. There is no due date. There never was. That is why this is a lie.

More details here: https://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/faqs#sealed

Back