USA Politics

I think the funny (not haha funny, but, y'know) part about today is watching conservatives that are big on limited government suddenly celebrating the executive's newfound immunity.

• Sad
Reactions: Jer
Well the President is held accountable by the people. This is the core difference with a King.

American democracy is built around a very strong president and this is nothing new. I kind of like it as there are solid strong institutions around and a people who is forged with the idea of democracy. So it can work without being dragged to an authoritarian regime. There are not many countries that this model could work but US isn’t any country.

I view SCOTUS decision as the right one but this is only my opinion.

• Sad
Today exemplifies the need to gut the Supreme Court and make the justices have term limits and have their appointments be voted for by the people.
I think they have proved that for years and years, but this is indeed the cherry on top. Presidents should not be made kings.

If a president can just take any treasonous action he wants because he's in office, then the system is flat out broken. And that's what this SCOTUS immunity decision is doing. A man will not be held accountable for being the cause of an attack against the government itself. And if it were anyone but Trump, this wouldn't be the case.

If a president can just take any treasonous action he wants because he's in office, then the system is flat out broken. And that's what this SCOTUS immunity decision is doing. A man will not be held accountable for being the cause of an attack against the government itself. And if it were anyone but Trump, this wouldn't be the case.
Can you imagine how the Reps would have acted if Obama had lost in 2012 and not willingly ceded?

Reminds me of this quote:

Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.

All Giuliani had to do was not do anything special and people would be buying him drinks and hanging out with him. Unfortunately, he's always been a greaseball and he had to keep being a greaseball. Fuck him.

I do believe Biden should step down. The ones that will actively vote against Trump will do so anyway, but that performance has shaken lots of potential voters that aren't balls-to-the-wall Dems. Some might stay home, some might vote for Trump. Get Newsom.

Biden's family is doing him and the world a major disservice by shielding him from entertaining the notion to step aside.

Actually I heard that there could be complications with donation money which are not transferable in case the ticket changes. Didn't have the time to fact check it but it seems plausible and if true, then Biden simply doesn't go anywhere.

You can refund money back to donors or transfer it to a super PAC. Besides, it seems a lot of high dollar donors have pledged to support a new candidate anyway so it is a non issue.

So now sources are either leaking or planting stories (to pressure him) about Biden stepping down if the next couple public performances are "as bad" (as if that is a reasonable standard).

Who would you guys choose as Biden's replacement?
The top priority needs to be winning Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. If the candidate can win these three states, they can lose all other swing states and still get 270 votes. Of these three, Michigan seems most liable to flip to Trump. With that in mind, I would go for Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer as she has built a really strong coalition there and would be formidable in the other two states as well. I would also settle for any other governor such as Pritzker (IL), Polis (CO), or Shapiro (PA).

Who do you think it'll be?
I think Whitmer has a reasonably good chance at being selected, but right now I actually think Kamala Harris is the most likely and straightforward pick. We're starting to see data that she is marginally stronger against Trump than Biden and this would be the easiest way to avoid convention drama and marginalizing black voters. I don't think it's the right decision or the right calculation, but if Biden steps aside on his own I could easily see them putting Kamala out there so she can go straight to campaigning against Trump instead of trying to consolidate support at the convention (and at this point nobody is going to challenge her as it would be futile).

The other name that gets floated around, Gavin Newsom, is also likely but I think he is being overhyped because of high name ID.

Do you think any of the replacements can defeat Trump?
Yes. This is where I have the strongest disagreements with people on here who are against replacing Biden. Instead of looking at Biden as the only democrat who could beat Trump, I think we should look at Hillary Clinton as the only democrat who could lose to Trump (unless Biden loses as well). We're still talking about a convicted felon who the majority of voters dislike and who has been repeatedly repudiated at the ballot box in general elections and in midterms. If Trump wins again it will be, once again, entirely a candidate problem on the part of Democrats. If you run a younger governor from a swing state, Trump's entire argument is deflated. He can't run against Biden's age or record. The race will become a referendum on Trump and Trump can't win that race.

There is data to support this as well. I've posted it on here before, but every swing state poll that also includes senate polling shows the Democrat candidate running well ahead of Biden and winning their race. That to me is a clear sign that Democrats can handily win all of the swing states from 2020 if not more, but maybe not with Biden.

Last edited:
.. And Biden doubles down.

Sigh. He has lost perspective and is seemingly secluded to an echo chamber. I've been a big Biden fan, but this recklessness and pride is washing a large chunk of that away.

Back