USA Politics

The Twitter shit always gets me. If you told me 20 years ago a racist would end up in White House I'd say that's a bit pessimistic, unlikely, but doable. But internet troll is just another level.

I can understand Republicans voting for him instead of Clinton, but how he ever won their nomination is beyond belief.

The Portland mayor has a clear message.

Guess the protesters do not appreciate his message

More than 200 people on Monday night marched to the Pearl District condominium tower where Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler lives to demand his resignation.

The demonstration quickly turned destructive as some in the crowd lit a fire in the street, then placed a picnic table from a nearby business on top of the fire to feed the blaze. People shattered windows and broke into a ground-floor dental office took items including a chair, also added to the fire, and office supplies.

200 isn't really many.

True, the main group was trying to burn down a police station .. guess the overflow arsonists went to the mayor's residence. Not sure what the dentist did ... but I would not want that chair back in a million years

Another good example of "do what I say, not what I do"

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi got her hair styled Monday inside a San Francisco hair salon, her office said in a statement Tuesday, an apparent violation of the city's Covid-19 safety regulations that enraged the salon's owner.

Pelosi's staff insisted Pelosi wore a mask while getting her hair done except for a brief period when she got her hair washed. The security footage shows Pelosi not wearing a mask as she walks briefly between two small rooms in the salon, her hair wet as if just washed.

I guess that's the advantage of being a Republican, if you don't admit that wearing a mask is a necessity and you break the rules, people expect it.

Alls I know is that Democrats and haircuts are always a big deal, just ask John Edwards! HEYO! Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Nancy is doing a good job at giving her hair salon visit more legs

In a press conference in San Francisco on coronavirus legislation, Pelosi claimed she was misled by the neighborhood salon. Security footage showed her at one point wearing a mask around her neck instead of over her face.

"I take responsibility for trusting the word of the neighborhood salon that I've been to, over the years, many times, and that when they said what we're able to accommodate people one person at a time, and that we can set up that time, I trusted that. As it turns out, that was the setup." Pelosi told reporters. "So, I take responsibility for falling for a setup. And that's all I'm going to say on that."

"I think that this salon owes me an apology, for setting me up," she added later.

In fairness, indoor hair salon use became legal in the city the very next day, and it sure sounded like the salon owner had a bone to pick with Pelosi, evidenced by how quickly she delivered security camera video to Fox News. I’m not a fan of Nancy Pelosi, but she may very well be telling the truth here. Still, shame on her for not double-checking the law before going to the salon.

In fairness, indoor hair salon use became legal in the city the very next day, and it sure sounded like the salon owner had a bone to pick with Pelosi, evidenced by how quickly she delivered security camera video to Fox News. I’m not a fan of Nancy Pelosi, but she may very well be telling the truth here. Still, shame on her for not double-checking the law before going to the salon.

Actually no .. outdoor hair salon use became legal the next day

Actually no .. outdoor hair salon use became legal the next day
Oops, you are correct.

That said, how does Pelosi wind up getting illegal indoor treatment from the hair salon when its owner is openly upset with her and resentful over her salon being closed down? Who let her in and did her hair if no one was legally allowed to work, and how could that realistically happen without the owner’s knowledge? Some random hairdresser decides to go rogue and open up the shop a day before they’re finally going to return to work legally? Presumably they’d have to turn off the alarm to do that, which would leave an audit trail. Why take the risk?

Isn’t it more likely that the irate salon owner saw an opportunity to stick it to Pelosi and took it?

Oops, you are correct.

That said, how does Pelosi wind up getting illegal indoor treatment from the hair salon when its owner is openly upset with her and resentful over her salon being closed down? Who let her in and did her hair if no one was legally allowed to work, and how could that realistically happen without the owner’s knowledge? Some random hairdresser decides to go rogue and open up the shop a day before they’re finally going to return to work legally? Presumably they’d have to turn off the alarm to do that, which would leave an audit trail. Why take the risk?

Isn’t it more likely that the irate salon owner saw an opportunity to stick it to Pelosi and took it?

From the original article, the salon owners rents out chairs and whoever has a chair rented has a key to the play. Pelosi (or most likely her staff/assistant) contacted a stylist who was renting the chair.

All that said, she should know what the general rules are ... it is not like this is some obscure rule. The owner said she installed the security cameras 5 years ago and saw they Pelosi was there on the tape ... then she got pissed with Pelosi that the shop has been forced to be shut for so long and she thought Pelosi was a hypocrite ... even though Pelosi has nothing to do with SF ordinances, she has been a proponent of the shutdowns in general.

Not sure what her feelings were on Pelosi before this happened.

In any case, Pelosi claiming she was "set up" is just stupid, it keeps the story in the news and it does not make her look good

Fox seems to be pushing this story pretty hard but I don’t really see many other outlets doing much with it, I had to scroll pretty far to find it on MSN’s front page. If this is what conservative outlets have to work with, they’re really running on fumes here. Then again, enough of the country is dumb enough to care about this sort of story that they could turn Salon-gate into a real scandal. I am sure the Biden campaign is happy to have attention deflected on to the Speaker of the House, typically an unpopular figure anyway.

Personally, I’m more interested in the actual issues and the politicians who, by refusing to listen to medical experts, have made this pandemic longer and more damaging than it needed to be.

It is on the front page of CNN. It is just a stupid mistake that will suck up a news cycle and provide some fodder. I do not think anyone should be overly shocked at politicians saying one thing and doing something else .. happens all the time and is a bi-partisan deal for sure.

It is just dumb IMO to keep the story alive especially when shutdowns have been overall a big issue

It's only notable because it's Nancy Pelosi. Sorry, it's true. Is she a hypocrite? Sure. Is it a big deal? No.

Back