USA Politics

Shy not? Some of the worst human beings are devoted Bible readers and the Old Testament is not filled with particularly nice messages...
It's evident if you watch Trump as he blathers towards the religious that he has no idea what the Bible says. Not even a basic understanding. I, bare minimum, could pick "Blessed are the cheese makers" as my favourite Bible line.

Oh, I always heard it as "The Number of the Yeasts". I never could quite make out the rest of the recipe though.
Woe to you, who bake and see, for the Devil sends the yeast with wrath
Because he knows the dough is short
Let all those who hath understanding reckon the baking of the yeast
For it is a simple method
Its method is-

*DING*
Oh, the oven's ready!

• Haha
Reactions: Yax
Nope but I heard The Evil Kathmandu.

On topic, was always baffled why anyone "liberal" would support Trump. In one interview he said this about Russia in 1990;

I was very unimpressed. Their system is a disaster. What you will see there soon is a revolution; the signs are all there with the demonstrations and picketing. Russia is out of control and the leadership knows it. That’s my problem with Gorbachev. Not a firm enough hand.

I bet he'd be impressed, if he went there in the 1930s. A hand firm enough, an obedient population and an industrious state in economic expanse. Pure paradise.

MLK said looting is the language of the unheard.
I’m just popping in to provide a correction here. The actual quote is that rioting is the language of the unheard, and furthermore, this is the complete context for it:

Now I wanted to say something about the fact that we have lived over these last two or three summers with agony and we have seen our cities going up in flames. And I would be the first to say that I am still committed to militant, powerful, massive, non-violence as the most potent weapon in grappling with the problem from a direct action point of view. I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results. But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity.

By changing “rioting” to “looting” you’re changing the entire meaning of what he said, and by posting it out of context you’re just as bad as the white people you said were cherry-picking MLK quotes.

I’m just popping in to provide a correction here. The actual quote is that rioting is the language of the unheard, and furthermore, this is the complete context for it:

Now I wanted to say something about the fact that we have lived over these last two or three summers with agony and we have seen our cities going up in flames. And I would be the first to say that I am still committed to militant, powerful, massive, non-violence as the most potent weapon in grappling with the problem from a direct action point of view. I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results. But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity.

By changing “rioting” to “looting” you’re changing the entire meaning of what he said, and by posting it out of context you’re just as bad as the white people you said were cherry-picking MLK quotes.
Yes, I noticed that this morning, was going to change it, but I'll leave it as is. You've pointed out the correction and contextualized it. MLK's Letter from a Birmingham Jail is readily available in multiple places, here is but one: https://www.africa.upenn.edu/Articles_Gen/Letter_Birmingham.html

Looks like 5 cops shot during the various protests/lootings yesterday (1 in Vegas, 4 in STL) ... that is not going to help things

They were definitely the receivers of the action.

Edit: " Washington: At least five US police were hit by gunfire during violent protests over the death of a black man in police custody, police and media said, hours after President Donald Trump vowed to use the military to halt the unrest."

It's been interesting seeing the international reaction to all this.

A member of staff for Russian state media has been hurt by rubber bullets. Russia's Foreign Ministry has said "outraged about the ongoing violence used by American law enforcement against international media covering the protests in the US". Yes, Russia is well known for having free press.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry said "racism against ethnic minorities in the US is a chronic disease of American society". And Chy-nah definitely doesn't have Uighur Muslims in concentration camps.

Some Kenyan guy Tweeted this:

And another guy:

One thing is certain. It doesn't help that the president chooses to have police use tear gas to clear the area around a church in the neighbourhood, just for him to have a photoshoot in front of said church, holding up a book which I doubt he has read much from.

The worst thing isn't that this happened, the worst thing is that this is probably not going to harm Trump in any way.

A member of staff for Russian state media has been hurt by rubber bullets. Russia's Foreign Ministry has said "outraged about the ongoing violence used by American law enforcement against international media covering the protests in the US". Yes, Russia is well known for having free press.

Switch out Russia for Turkey and Foreign Minister with Head of Presidential Department for Communication and your post would still be accurate. Exact same thing happened with the Turkish state television and the response was almost the same. The only addition was the "free press is essential for a democracy". Coming from the government of the country with the highest number of jailed journalists in the world. What a joke.

Last edited:
Back