USA Politics

I will be glad when Tuesday is over .. I do not watch a ton of live TV but every other ad is Bloomberg/Steyer/Sanders/ads from a few Congressional seats.
I hate myself for using Adblock but I had to turn it back on because I just can’t watch 4 Bloomberg and 5 Steyer ads every time I try to watch a YouTube video.

I am only getting Bloomberg stuff. Lots of on the ground campaigning for Bernie near my college though (as expected).

I could see some campaigning in Texas regardless of who the nominee is. It is the golden egg state for Democrats right now.

So I've been thinking about this. Super Tuesday has a few different states that have the potential to be open to a Joe Biden surge if he really smashes SC out of the park.
SC has been smashed. Biden looks very good going into Super Tuesday. I wouldn’t call tonight an upset necessarily, he was always favored to win, but the huge margin and Bernie’s underperformance with black people is the perfect combination for big Tuesday wins. This bodes well for Biden in Texas and North Carolina, both huge states. I also feel confident now that Bloomberg will severely underperform. Bernie probably still wins California and others, but the overall race has gotten closer. I’m guessing a contested convention is almost certain now.

Also Steyer is out.

Warren is toast, which is good. Will not miss Steyer's ads, which I guess would be ending for me soon enough anyway. It will be Bernie and white people versus Biden and minorities for the nomination. Still hold out hope for a brokered convention and the shit storm that would be. Probably need Bloomberg to hang in to the end for that to happen

Also Harry Reid endorsed Biden. I wouldn't be surprised if see a surge of endorsements for Joe in the next 5 or so hours. Bernie's early success looks to have scared the party into coalescing.

Agreed. This is disappointing to watch. Hopefully Bernie still pulls through.

Obviously the Democrat establishment hasn't learned from 2016. Joe Biden is basically Hillary 2.0. They might as well have wheeled her out again.

It sucks how much both parties fear Bernie. I was telling my GF earlier that it is the curse of the 2 party system. Ron Paul, Trump, Bernie and others could run under independants or their own party closer aligned to their actual ideologies, rather than having to choose to run under the lesser of two evils just to get on debates and get national coverage

Why did Mayor Pete and Amy Klobthingy drop out right before Super Tuesday? Surely there was a big opportunity to get themselves back in the game with all those delegates up for grabs. Is it because they were worried about taking too many votes away from Sleepy Joe who, after South Carolina, is now looks like the only credible opponent for Bernie?

There are a few things happening:

1: The moderate wing of the party is coalescing around a candidate and they really don't want Bernie.

2: Polling suggests that these candidates aren't going to make any significant gains. Pete in particular has no path to victory since minorities don't like him. They also have to clear a 15% minimum to even earn delegates.

3: They are probably running out of money.

There are a few things happening:

1: The moderate wing of the party is coalescing around a candidate and they really don't want Bernie.

2: Polling suggests that these candidates aren't going to make any significant gains. Pete in particular has no path to victory since minorities don't like him. They also have to clear a 15% minimum to even earn delegates.

3: They are probably running out of money.

I think part of it too is they can run again, they are young enough. They boosted their name recognition and had decent showings, now they are showing they will go along with the party and build some goodwill with the establishment and pushing more votes towards Biden

For Bernie, Biden, and Warren this is most likely their shots given they are all in their 70s. But it does hurt Sanders given Bloomberg is really the only moderate left and Warren is probably taking more votes from Sanders than Biden, though I think there are some odd dynamics and dislike between Warren and Sanders voters even though they are fairly close policy-wise.

In any case, on Tuesday night we will know a lot more about how the race looks.

I think part of it too is they can run again, they are young enough. They boosted their name recognition and had decent showings, now they are showing they will go along with the party and build some goodwill with the establishment and pushing more votes towards Biden

For Bernie, Biden, and Warren this is most likely their shots given they are all in their 70s. But it does hurt Sanders given Bloomberg is really the only moderate left and Warren is probably taking more votes from Sanders than Biden, though I think there are some odd dynamics and dislike between Warren and Sanders voters even though they are fairly close policy-wise.

In any case, on Tuesday night we will know a lot more about how the race looks.
Exactly, same could be said for Warren. Don't know if Bernie could run again, but Warren can.

I don’t know if Warren can or should run again. Her age wouldn’t necessarily be a problem in 2024, but they probably want to run a young person if Trump wins the second term (the 2024 Republican favorites are mostly younger). Hopefully by then there are more younger progressives in the pool too. I also don’t see Warren’s struggles with building Bernie’s type of coalition going away.

Mayor Pete is in a tricky situation. He probably can’t win a statewide race in Indiana in the foreseeable future, but he needs to keep his name recognition up or he will mostly be remembered for the failed presidential bid. He is probably guaranteed a spot in either a Biden or Sanders cabinet, but some positions have more promising futures than others.

Klobuchar is almost definitely going to be Biden’s VP if he takes the nomination. Otherwise it’s hard to see where she goes from here. Maybe if Bernie wins the nomination and loses the presidency, she’ll be more appealing in 2024.

Klobuchar is almost definitely going to be Biden’s VP if he takes the nomination.
I don’t see it. If Biden gets the nomination he’s going to be praying to put a fraction of the Obama voting coalition back together, hoping that his Pennsylvania roots give him an edge there, and hoping that his white working class appeal holds the rust belt. I‘m almost positive that Biden at the top of the ticket would mean a black VP choice, probably either Harris or Booker. It’s crass and transparent, but it’s probably true.

Back