USA Politics

Going to drop off my ballot today. No really exciting national races; my representative is an incumbent in a safe blue district and neither senators are up. There is a gubernatorial election though, as the current governor (and possible 2020 candidate), John Hickenlooper, is term limited. It looks like the governors mansion will likely stay blue, although Jared Polis seems to be more progressive than his centrist predecessor. He will also be the first openly gay Governor (he is married with kids) in the country.

There is also the possibility of the CO state senate flipping from a republican to democrat majority, which would create one of the few state level Democrat trifectas in the country (state senate, house, and governor mansion).

Some hot button initiatives including a few that have gotten national attention (mostly thanks to Bernie Sanders). There is a proposition that would limit the location of oil and gas projects like fracking, an amendment that would outlaw free prison labor, and an initiative to hand redistricting off to an independent commission.

Need (and want) to go vote sometime this week .. the early voting deal is so much easier than election day. The first week usually has long lines, middle of the second week is shorter (like today :) ) ... You can vote anywhere in your county in early voting, on election day you have to go to your precinct, which in my case is an elementary school with crappy parking.

Cruz/Beto is the main race (will be glad for the commercials to be over). I think all the state races (governor, lt. governor, etc) are not really races at all, my Congressional district is safe red and there are many local races with only 1 candidate (GOP).

I keep forgetting you’re in Texas because of your username.

I went to vote wearing my 'These Colours Don't Run' t-shirt a few years ago. That could technically have been considered in breach of electoral law as it was making a political statement considering the nature of that vote... :innocent:

I went to vote wearing my 'These Colours Don't Run' t-shirt a few years ago. That could technically have been considered in breach of electoral law as it was making a political statement considering the nature of that vote... :innocent:
No legalizing pot on the ballot, so I should be good

I wore a Wacken shirt complete with leather jacket and wristbands when going to the European parliament elections ten or so years ago, which traditionally has a low turnout. I got quite a few strange looks.

CNN has Sinema up by 4 in AZ and Rosen up by 3 in NV. Still within margin of error, or very close therein, but if these numbers hold over the next week it's not a great sign going in for the GOP to advance. I think they absolutely need to win one of these states to move their seat count up before facing a brutal 2020 map.

I wore a striped sweater. I really screwed that one up didn’t I?

I wore a Wacken shirt complete with leather jacket and wristbands when going to the European parliament elections ten or so years ago, which traditionally has a low turnout. I got quite a few strange looks.

Actually, I remembered a bit more about this now. It was on a Sunday morning at 8 or 9 am, I came straight from a metal club and went to a weekend seminar at uni afterwards.

Democracy works best when everyone’s voice is heard.
I can't stand people that do so. They usually happen to be the most insufferably pretentious people, too.
People who tell me they won't vote because "it won't change anything" or because "it doesn't matter" are the only people I have felt like I want to punch in my adult life. Other than Eddie Redmayne, who has the most punchable face in Hollywood.

It'd be one thing if you had to pay a fee to vote. But it's free. You lose literally nothing by voting. Don't like the favorites? Get a protest vote in for one of the outsiders.

Back