USA Politics

State terror is perhaps a better term for what's going on in Turkey (and beyond their borders).

I'd agree with that. The arresting of opposition journalists and scholars, the arresting of Kurdish politicians, oppression of civil liberties, constant threats towards minorities, constant declaration of opposition as enemies. You don't really need to bring up history to argue that point.

The only Turkey related issue that I, personally, have conflicting views with what seems to be the consensus in the Western world is the state's demeanor and behaviour towards Kurdish seperatist militant groups. And by state I don't mean the current government, as they have made concessions to said groups in the past before flipping their position.

No talk of the arms deal with Saudi Arabia?

There goes Trump's rhetoric that he'd look to fight Islamic terrorism. Arming the country that finances the extremists sure is a good way to do it, huh?

Great, Turks and people from the Balkans fighting. There's something new.

We are discussing. Regarding fight, the 'people from Balkans' won that a long time ago. Any sort of national feelings are bullshit in my book, regardless of the nation.

No talk of the arms deal with Saudi Arabia?

There goes Trump's rhetoric that he'd look to fight Islamic terrorism. Arming the country that finances the extremists sure is a good way to do it, huh?

You really sure about that? King said that Iran is the #1 terrorist state. He's a friend of President of the U.S. so I guess that's legit.

We are discussing. Regarding fight, the 'people from Balkans' won that a long time ago. Any sort of national feelings are bullshit in my book, regardless of the nation.

To describe the Turkish public's sentiment regarding PKK/PYD and its supporters merely as "national feelings" is off base. PKK kills soldiers, police officers, forest rangers, as well as attacking public hospitals and schools and killing civilians as a result. They also use child fighters, and are financed through donations by drug traffickers across the Syrian and Iraqi borders. It's more a safety and social order issue than it is a nationalistic issue.

Freedom of speech protects the PKK symphathizers' right to say what they want to say. It doesn't guarantee, however, that what they have to say won't piss people off.

PKK is not a football hooligan group. They have every right to claim their home territory. They don't accept Turk authority, nor did Balkan peoples. You conquered that territory, they have every damn right to try and win it back. It's your fucking war I don't have anything to do with it. I'm merely saying that acts of Turkish bodyguards on the U.S. soil against U.S. citizens could be presented as state sponsored terrorism. There are people hired and protected by a country A, that's assaulting citizens of country B on their soil. Try to wrap your head around that.

PKK is not a football hooligan group. They have every right to claim their home territory. They don't accept Turk authority, nor did Balkan peoples. You conquered that territory, they have every damn right to try and win it back. It's your fucking war I don't have anything to do with it.

In my view, the PKK has the right if, a) they speak for all the Kurdish people, and b) they don't drag innocent civilians into their fight. Hence, the PKK does not have that right. In my view.

PKK is not a football hooligan group. They have every right to claim their home territory. They don't accept Turk authority, nor did Balkan peoples. You conquered that territory, they have every damn right to try and win it back. It's your fucking war I don't have anything to do with it.

PKK does NOT represent all Kurdish people. Their fight won't be just unless they stop bombing hospitals and schools, using children as fighters and threatening civilians in the region.

I'm merely saying that acts of Turkish bodyguards on the U.S. soil against U.S. citizens could be presented as state sponsored terrorism. There are people hired and protected by a country A, that's assaulting citizens of country B on their soil. Try to wrap your head around that.

...then you beat them 'cause you're pissed?

You're getting riled up for no reason and trying to pick a fight that's not there. I clearly denounced the behaviour of the security people in my prior posts.

OK, so Trump is back on the "NATO countries owe us money" track ...moron. He'd better provide the contract then, which states how much each country needs to pay the US yearly if they do not spend the correct amount on their military.

The US spends a lot on the military, but that's not just to comply with the defensive NATO duties - they have bases all ower the world and spend a lot on their non-NATO allies as well. Because they think it's worth it, I assume. The idea that countries who spend less owe money directly to the US is the ramblings of a drunken know-it-all down at the pub, so it is a bit scary that it comes from a man who doesn't drink.

I agree that NATO countries should spend their 2% GDP, absolutely. But NATO isn't an extortion package.

Well, yes, I think so too. But I don't think any individual country owes the money they don't spend on the military to the US, and Trump's rhetoric on this issue is just plain dumb.

ye844js13ozy.gif

Back