1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USA Politics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Genghis Khan, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

Could be. I would have to dig into a ton of legal historic documents to see how it's been handled. I don't believe that U.S. for instance is just turning a blind eye on what their ancestors did to native populations, like Russia, China, and Turkey do.

Forostar likes this.
  2. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Isn't that an arbitrary definition of state terrorism, though? Just behaviour towards native populations? What about what they do to other countries' populations?

Acts of terror have been committed by states, but I would refrain from using the term "terrorist state" so easily.

3. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

Apparently, there's something about Turkey specifically that automatically gives everyone else in the world the moral high ground.

4. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Could be the way they just voted for a dictatorship, to be fair. And when it comes to intentional, high-level genocide, they're one of only a handful of countries in the modern era to try it and not own up to it in some ways. But that's not really terrorism. I don't know how better to define it, but yeah.

Zare likes this.
  5. Zare

Terrorism is a really loose term. If we agree upon a term that fits, I'll use it gladly. I prefer to use 'genocide' per se when it was done outside the borders. Like Austro-Hungarian army in Serbia.
    The difference between terrorism and state terrorism though, is clear for me. Once financial or other resources have been backtraced from terrorist group to state actor(s).

6. LooseCannon

I dunno, genocide has a pretty clear definition - the attempt to destroy a particular culture or race by another culture or race. Could be via murder (Jews in the Holocaust, Armenians vs Turks) or it could be through cultural assimilation techniques (Canadian and Australian residential schools come to mind). Doesn't matter where the borders are.

7. The Flash

Turkey is not the first country vote for dictatorship, and it certainly isn't the only country where a dictator received sweeping support across the nation.

The country's hands are dirty when it comes to the genocide, there's no denying it, but I do find it ridiculous that it gets brought up in issues that have nothing to do with it. "You committed a genocide and still deny it, so obviously you're wrong at everything."

8. LooseCannon

I don't think Turkey is the only country to which that happens.

9. The Flash

No, but in terms of frequency it's up there.

10. Zare

It's a response to behaviour of today. Response to "national feelings hurt" kind of a crap.

11. The Flash

The "response" isn't any less full of shit than what it's supposed to be responding to.

12. LooseCannon

Great, Turks and people from the Balkans fighting. There's something new.

13. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

State terror is perhaps a better term for what's going on in Turkey (and beyond their borders).

Zare likes this.
  14. The Flash

I'd agree with that. The arresting of opposition journalists and scholars, the arresting of Kurdish politicians, oppression of civil liberties, constant threats towards minorities, constant declaration of opposition as enemies. You don't really need to bring up history to argue that point.

The only Turkey related issue that I, personally, have conflicting views with what seems to be the consensus in the Western world is the state's demeanor and behaviour towards Kurdish seperatist militant groups. And by state I don't mean the current government, as they have made concessions to said groups in the past before flipping their position.

15. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

16. Travis The Dragon

Travis The Dragon The dreamers may die, but the dreams live on.

17. Travis The Dragon

Travis The Dragon The dreamers may die, but the dreams live on.

18. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

Ohh .. he is not cutting nearly enough

19. The Flash

No talk of the arms deal with Saudi Arabia?

There goes Trump's rhetoric that he'd look to fight Islamic terrorism. Arming the country that finances the extremists sure is a good way to do it, huh?

20. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Dr. Eddies Wingman Brighter than thousand_suns

Well, it is more or less business as usual ... Trump's rhetoric is worth fuck all, but we all knew that.