USA Politics

It's not spiteful. And it's not Obama. Mt. Rushmore is a national park, and due to the government shutdown, national parks are being closed.

I've been trying to verify this. The claim is made on quite a few places on the internet, but all of them point to a single source, this article. The problem with it is, that it does not cite any sources. It does include a bunch of weblinks and a Youtube video, but no citation for the "16 states shutdown" claim.

2008 Flashback ....

Although the national debt under President Barack Obama has increased $4 trillion since he took office in 2009, as a presidential candidate in 2008 Obama criticized then-President George W. Bush for adding $4 trillion to the national debt, saying it was “unpatriotic” and also “irresponsible” to saddle future generations with such a large national debt.

“The problem is, is that the way Bush has done it over the last eight years is to take out a credit card from the Bank of China in the name of our children, driving up our national debt from $5 trillion dollars for the first 42 presidents -- number 43 added $4 trillion dollars by his lonesome, so that we now have over $9 trillion dollars of debt that we are going to have to pay back -- $30,000 for every man, woman and child,” Obama said on July 3, 2008, at a campaign event in Fargo, N.D.

“That's irresponsible. It's unpatriotic,” said candidate Obama.

Well, yeah.

I guess my thought is that it's easier for Obama (or Romney, or whatever candidates we have next time) to say "debt is bad" rather than explain "debt is necessary and is only bad when it exceeds a certain amount, and that while the USA is getting up there, we have in no way struck that barrier."

The "debt is bad!" people vote Tea Party, I fear. The "debt should be controlled" people are far more reasonable.

You're getting closer. 100% of debt to gdp is the "bad" mark, and you're camping at 92-93%.

Unless something crazy happens, Obama will be the first Democrat president since FDR not to lower the debt to gdp ratio during his term. Ike is the only Republican to do so since Coolidge. I don't entirely blame Obama - I think he deserves some blame for his programs and some for his inability to negotiate with House Republicans, but hopefully something breaks soon.

How different is this from Belgium's situation where they too were "governmentless" for a while... or are they still?

Its just a link talking about the closed memorials in DC. Its kinda stupid that they are putting up barriers to those places.

Ted Cruz is the #1 reason there is a government shutdown. It's 100% the fault of Tea Party republicans. So yeah. He might pretend he has sympathy for the veterans, but if he really did, he'd work to end the shutdown.

Back