USA Politics

If that happened, a few things probably would have happened. The prosecution would have dropped the murder charge for sure, which was stupid to bring to begin with and Zimmerman would have used a Stand Your Ground defense actively and on the law probably would have at least come out with another mistrial.

... and if this case was not so much in the news, there probably would not be a second trial

You're probably right, and there wouldn't have been ONE trial if it wasn't for public outcry. But it's still a problem endemic in the justice system.

There probably would not have been one (or there would have been one later) because there was not evidence to support the charges and the prosecution tried to shoe horn this in due to pressure from outside groups ... to the point where 1 person has been fired and another faces action for withholding evidence to the defense.

It seems some were determined that a) Zimmerman was guilty and b) were fine using any tactics possible despite the law and the evidence all of which is very troubling to me.

This whole thing was fucked up from the second the pressure started coming from above versus let these people do their jobs and go where the evidence and the law leads them

Dammit, I just accidentally closed my browser window.

Summary of what I was gonna say: it's fucked up that Zimmerman is not guilty, and I think there's a huge chance to discuss the role of race in the justice system here, but nobody will actually look at it.

One of the other bad aspects to this is the fact that Al Sharpton .. one of the biggest assholes ever to walk the Earth, is being given some moderate level of credibility. It is bad enough that someone gave him a TV show .. but what do you expect from MSNBC?

I can't say I like Al Sharpton much, but he is right some of the time (broken clock analogy). I dunno, MSNBC gives shows to assholes that their viewers will watch - much like how Fox keeps Hannity employed.

Look at Al's history. He rose to fame with the Tawana Brawley case where a young black woman claimed to be kidnapped and raped by white men, including a cop ... and according to Sharpton an assistant DA. There were mass demonstrations and violence because of this. Turned out the story was 100% proven to be false. The Assistant DA won a libel case against Al, who refused to pay it (but later got donors to do it when he ran for President).

Then there was a white woman who was raped by 2 black men. Sharpton claimed it was the woman's boyfriend, brought 300 supporters to the courhouse to taunt the boyfriend and chant that the rape victim was a "whore"

Then there was the old Hasidic Jew who lost control of his car and killed a black child, and by all accounts felt horrible about it. Al drummed up a crown to protest outside a synagogue where chants of "Kill the Jews" came out and did serious damage to Black-Jewish relations, which were never good, but this made it much worse.

There is more out there, but these 3 things are how he made is name (and money)

He is a vile despicable racist who makes money as a race-baiter and thriving on controversy. He is no more or less than a black Julius Streicher. If he was white and did stuff like this, he would not be allowed within 100 miles of any kind of news station or TV show outside of maybe The Jerry Springer show.

Total asshole

He's not a black Julius Streicher, and I'll thank you not to make such ridiculous comparisons again. Even with a history of anti-Semitism, he's not that. Sharpton isn't an expert propagandist, he isn't successful...and he doesn't write children's books.

On air, Hannity has incited racial hatred against the President of the United States...and recently against everyone black when he suggested there'd be race riots following the Zimmerman verdict (there weren't. There haven't been. Not even close). No, he wasn't involved in something like the Brawley case - but he does this stuff every night on TV. That's how he makes his money. I don't think either of them should be on the air.

He's not a black Julius Streicher, and I'll thank you not to make such ridiculous comparisons again. Even with a history of anti-Semitism, he's not that. Sharpton isn't an expert propagandist, he isn't successful...and he doesn't write children's books.

I will stand by that comparison with the slight modifier of Streicher in 1929 and 1930.

Some great quotes from Al, the vile piece of crap ... I could find many many more, and even yet more if his "newsletters" ever get posted online. If he was white and replace cracker with the N word, and white for black in any of the statements he made, he would be an outcast in society and no even partially respectable news organization would give him the time of day.

I am not fan of Hannity or really about any news pundit, they say nutty things to pull in viewers and get ratings by out doing each other. But, Al was not a news pundit back then, this is what the man thinks.

Hell, in Europe he could face criminal charges (wrongly so IMO) for saying this stuff. The fact that he gets a pass is disgusting and Jessie Jackson is not really far behind him. They are race baiting attention whores who are allowed to extort people at enrich themselves at the expense of others. The fact that these people are called "leaders of the black community" should enrage anyone in that community.

“The world will tell us he was killed by accident. Yes, it was a social accident. … It’s an accident to allow an apartheid ambulance service in the middle of Crown Heights. … Talk about how Oppenheimer in South Africa sends diamonds straight to Tel Aviv and deals with the diamond merchants right here in Crown Heights.”

“White folks was in the caves while we [blacks] was building empires … We built pyramids before Donald Trump ever knew what architecture was … we taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it.

“the worst criminals, the rejects they sent from Europe and sent them to the colonies.” “So [if] some cracker,” he continued, “come and tell you ‘Well my mother and father blood go back to the Mayflower,’ you better hold you pocket. That ain’t nothing to be proud of, that means their forefathers was crooks.”

But Efraim Lipkind, a former Hasidic resident of Crown Heights who had witnessed the riots of 1991, stated the following in a July 1994 sworn deposition: “Then we had a famous man, Al Sharpton, who came down, and he said Tuesday night, kill the Jews, two times. I heard him, and he started to lead a charge across the street to Utica.

“These phrases,” Steve Brodsky testified to the New York Supreme Court, “were then repeated in almost chant-like fashion over the next few days by the other demonstrators.” Making frequent reference to “bloodsucking Jews” and “white crackers,” the boycotters threatened to “loot and burn the Jews.”

Pledging that “[w]e will not stand by and allow them to move this brother [Mr. Shange] so some white interloper can expand his business on 125th Street,”Sharpton exhorted local blacks to join “the struggle brother Powell and I are engaged in.” Just for the record, we should keep in mind that the so-called “white interloper” was the owner of the building

Forgot this great moment in Al history

1995: When the United House of Prayer, a large black landlord in Harlem, raises the rent on Freddy’s Fashion Mart, Freddy’s white Jewish owner is forced to raise the rent on his subtenant, a black-owned music store. A landlord-tenant dispute ensues; Sharpton uses it to incite racial hatred. “We will not stand by,” he warns malignantly, “and allow them to move this brother so that some white interloper can expand his business.” Sharpton’s National Action Network sets up picket lines; customers going into Freddy’s are spat on and cursed as “traitors” and “Uncle Toms.” Some protesters shout, “Burn down the Jew store!” and simulate striking a match. “We’re going to see that this cracker suffers,” says Sharpton’s colleague Morris Powell. On Dec. 8, one of the protesters bursts into Freddy’s, shoots four employees point-blank, then sets the store on fire. Seven employees die in the inferno.

Looking at some comparisons between 1950 and 2010.

In 1950, Detroit was 83.6% white and 16.2% black.
In 1950, America was about 89% white and 9% black (I don't think Hispanics were counted then).
So Detroit was a little more "diverse" than the country as a whole.

In 2010, Detroit was 82.7% black and 10.6% white.

In 1950, there were 1.8 million people in Detroit, about 1.5 million whites and about 300,000 blacks.
In 2010, there were about 700,000 people, about 75,000 whites and about 575,000 blacks.

And from 1950 to 2010, the United States as a whole slightly more doubled in size (150 million to 309 million) and from 1950 to 2010, the number of black Detroiters slightly less than doubled in size.

So, from 1950 to 2010, the number of blacks in Detroit roughly mirrored the population growth of the nation as a whole. While the number of whites in Detroit decreased by almost 95%.

Wow, that's very interesting Bearfan. And I don't think it's just a coincidence either. I'd say more, but I'd probably be called racists even though I'd be speaking the absolute truth.

Well, losing 95% of any ethnicity, combined with the loss of overall population and those remaining making less money and property values declining kills the tax base. Add that to corrupt or inept leaders who decline to see this and keep spending at the same rate (and higher) is a recipe for disaster.

More information on how the Democratic machine ran this city into the ground

Mr. Snyder said the city cannot meet obligations to its citizens or its creditors. He noted that citizens wait an average of 58 minutes for the police to respond to their calls, compared to a national average of 11 minutes. Only 8.7% of cases are solved, compared to a statewide average of 30.5%.

About 40% of the city's street lights were not functioning in the first quarter of the year, and only a third of its ambulances were in service. Its population has declined 63% from its peak and there are about 78,000 abandoned structures

Two Colorado State Senate members are up for recall election because of their gun control votes

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/07/pols-face-recall-over-gun-control-94454.html?hp=l2

I think this is kinda stupid (even though I agree that they voted against what their constituents wanted) ... they will be up for re-election. This recall trend over one issue votes seems to be picking up steam, which is a little mind boggling given the virtual complete failure despite tons of money thrown in by the unions in Wisconsin .... the only real successful issue one I can think of was California tossing Grey Davis

It is interesting that it is the two recalls in Colorado history. Re-call election is Sept 10

Back