USA Politics

Stevie is cutting out these states then
Many states have some form of stand-your-ground law. Alabama,[12] Alaska,[13] Arizona,[14] California,[15][16] Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa,[17] Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana,[14] Maine, Massachusetts (though the term is used very loosely here),[18] Michigan,[14] Mississippi, Missouri, Montana,[14] New Hampshire,[14] North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma,[14] Pennsylvania ,[19], Rhode Island,[20] South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,[14] Texas,[21] Utah,[22] West Virginia,[14], Wisconsin[23] and Wyoming have adopted Castle Doctrine statutes, and other states (Iowa,[24]Virginia,[25] and Washington) have considered stand-your-ground laws of their own.[26][27][28]

Guess he is not planning on doing much touring.

I never got why this moron was elected over and over to Congress .. besides he had a safe district, I was more surprised when he was elected mayor of San Diego. I am not surprised by this (he is also in trouble over alleged kick packs for granting permits to the tune of 100s of thousands of dollars)

San Diego mayor Bob Filner resists resignation calls
By: Rebecca Elliott
July 16, 2013 11:39 AM EDT

San Diego Mayor and former Democratic Congressman Bob Filner is resisting mounting calls for his resignation over sexual harassment claims, including one this week that he forcibly kissed two women.

“I’m not going to resign, and here’s why,” Filner said in a statement. “I do not believe I am guilty of sexual harassment, and I believe a full presentation of the facts will vindicate me.”
Filner’s statement was released just before former councilwoman Donna Frye, who brought the harassment allegations to public attention last week, held a press conference detailing some of the harassment claims made against the mayor.

Frye read aloud from the accounts of two women, one of which detailed Filner’s “extremely unwelcome” comments and physical conduct. The second woman, a volunteer for Filner’s campaign, said he “grabbed and kissed her, jamming his tongue down her throat” and later “had his hand on the inside of her bra,” Frye read.

Filner later told San Diego television station KUSI that he is “a hugger of both men and women,” responding to these specific harassment claims. He added that the “anonymous kinds of charges” must end.

“There’s been no formal complaints. There’s been no charges in a fair way that I can deal with,” Filner said.

These new details emerged amid growing calls for Filner’s resignation.
“The mayor’s lack of understanding of the debilitating effects of sexual harassment, intimidation, and bullying is an affront to all,” Rep. Susan Davis (D-Calif.) told the San Diego Union Tribune. “His behavior, if not illegal, is reprehensible.”

Rep. Scott Peters (D-Calif.) joined Davis in asking Filner to step down, saying he “will be unable to give the job the full attention it requires, nor will he have the credibility required.”
Filner’s ex-fiancee Bronwyn Ingram, who broke off their engagement last week, also released a statement to KPBS on Sunday saying Filner had displayed “aggressive” behavior and “recently began texting other women sexually explicit messages.”

“The mayor’s office is now paralyzed, engaging only in defensive posturing and struggling to survive,” Ingram said, explaining why Filner should resign. “The work of the people and for the people has ceased.”

Fifty-nine percent of San Diego residents think Filner should resign, according to a SurveyUSA poll out Friday.

Yea...I don't see him going through with that then. He'll probably skip them on his next tour (if that) and then visit these states later. By then nobody will give a fuck about the Zimmerman case anyway.

Speaking of famous people getting political, despite the fact that I hate his music, David Draiman of Disturbed summed up my thoughts on the whole matter pretty well in a Tweet:

"The case is over and a verdict has been given, Now;
No matter what your own personal opinion may be on the outcome of this case,
1. No one is justified in acts of violence or destruction as a result of this.
2. Politicizing this event (as the liberal and conservative media have both done) is irresponsible, abhorrent, and selfish. There's already far too much racial tension and baseless hatred in this world, and those on either side who try to use this as a means of furthering their political agendas, fear/hate mongering, or furthering their own rise to fame or power, should be called out and should be ashamed of themselves.
3. There are a plethora of examples of both justice and injustice all over the world, every day of our lives. This is not, nor should it be made to be a black or white or Hispanic issue.
So all of you out there, get off of your soapboxes, cut the crap, move on with your lives, and let's focus on all of the other atrocities that occur all over the globe (like the school massacre in Nigeria which the media has basically glossed over in favor of the Zimmerman frenzy).
There is no greater pimp than the media, they are experts in whoring something out until it is broken, dried up, and no longer of use to them. Do not let yourselves be manipulated by this sleight-of-hand bullshit."

I have zero problems with Stevie Wonders action. It comes from a good heart. This was not a nutty paranoia Dave Mustaine rant (I think he is a nutcase who spreads hate on stage). This is an angry human who wants to make a valid point. Do I have a problem with it because he happens to have more listeners than the average Joe? No. On the contrary. I love it when people speak up about this. Even more when they do something.
Right, I don't listen to these musicians because I agree with their political beliefs.
Hardly anyone does. But if the beliefs match, then that's convenient.
I don't have as much of a problem if they want to give their opinion on an issue, or be a role model or whatever, but saying he refuses to play in Florida until that law goes away? All that does is alienate a portion of your audience.
A brave step.

Guys, is this a strictly political issue? One of the goals is to change a law (an obvious association with politics) but all this seems so unfair that this is more about awareness. A mindset. "What the fuck is going on?" "What are we doing to each other here?"

I have zero problems with Stevie Wonders action. It comes from a good heart. This was not a nutty paranoia Dave Mustaine rant (I think he is a nutcase who says stupid things on stage).
So it's only okay if you agree with him. Got it.

This is an angry human who wants to make a valid point. Do I have a problem with it because he happens to have more listeners than the average Joe?
Fair enough, but

Hardly anyone does. But if the beliefs match, then that's convenient.
For the record, I don't have a problem with him expressing this opinion. I'm not a fan of the onstage rant, but whatever. The problem I have is that he's basically telling his audience "agree with me on this issue or I won't play in your state". I'm not okay with that. This is a musician who I have a great deal of respect for, which is why this particularly bothers me.

Guys, is this a strictly political issue? One of the goals is to change a law (an obvious association with politics) but all this seems so unfair that this is more about awareness. A mindset. "What the fuck is going on?" "What are we doing to each other here?"
The Zimmerman case shouldn't be a political issue at all. The fact that it got turned into one is irritating, to say the least. What is Stevie raising awareness for? He has no more knowledge on what happened that night than we do. Why is he choosing to speak up now? There have been plenty of better examples of cases that show that Stand Your Ground should be overturned. What makes this case so special? Especially one where Stand Your Ground wasn't even used. Which makes me even more skeptical of the whole thing, for all we know the guy wasn't even following the case and decided to jump on the bandwagon.

So it's only okay if you agree with him. Got it.
It is about form and content. I both disagree with Mustaine's form and content a lot. So I don't like it, also if I were a fan of Megadeth.
Steve Wonder is angry about something that I can identify with lots more (and he also does it in a more decent way).

The boycott wasn't "invented" for nothing. Too fucking bad for fans, but sometimes an artist finds something else more important.
And thankfully, fans as well.

The Zimmerman case shouldn't be a political issue at all. The fact that it got turned into one is irritating, to say the least. What is Stevie raising awareness for? He has no more knowledge on what happened that night than we do. Why is he choosing to speak up now? There have been plenty of better examples of cases that show that Stand Your Ground should be overturned. What makes this case so special? Especially one where Stand Your Ground wasn't even used. Which makes me even more skeptical of the whole thing, for all we know the guy wasn't even following the case and decided to jump on the bandwagon.
Fine with me. One got to start sometime. Better late than never.

The boycott wasn't "invented" for nothing. Too fucking bad for fans, but sometimes an artist finds something else more important.
And thankfully, fans as well.
That's all well and good, but having a viewpoint shoved down my throat is not acceptable. I don't care who it is, famous or otherwise.

Besides, for all he knows his fans in Florida could agree with him anyway. Likely, judging from the crowd reaction in that video (assuming they aren't zombies who will cheer for anything the man says). In that case he's just preaching to the choir. What's the point of that?

This never should have been political, it was a criminal trial that involved two citizens ... not a person versus the government ... and secondly, stand your ground was not even a defense.

I still find it funny this is presented as a black and white issue when Zimmerman is half Hispanic ... he is certainly no skinhead or anything like that.

For Wonder, he it s good artist who should be respected musically, but realistically I was never going to go to one of his concerts anyway ... so it does not affect me in the least, but I think it is a stupid move along the lines of Alec Baldwin "moving to Canada" if Bush beat Kerry

As much as it pains me to say, I agree with Jimmy Carter

Jimmy Carter thought the verdict was "right"

The jury made the “right decision” in the George Zimmerman murder trial, former President Jimmy Carter said Tuesday.
“I think the jury made the right decision based on the evidence presented, because the prosecution inadvertently set the standard so high that the jury had to be convinced that it was a deliberate act by Zimmerman that he was not at all defending himself, and so forth,” Carter told Atlanta news channel WXIA. “It’s not a moral question, it’s a legal question and the American law requires that the jury listens to the evidence presented.”

Carter said he agrees with President Barack Obama and accepts the jury’s decision. “So President Obama said he thought - it was — he regretted the decision, but he had to accept the results of the jury decision,” Carter said.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/07/jimmy-carter-george-zimmerman-verdict-94320.html?hp=f2

Yea I have a few problems with this. For just one example, why punish your fans for something they have little to no control over? For all he knows his audience is people who are against the law.

Sorry, I don't like when music is turned into a political agenda.

I don't know, It worked for Ray Charles... And if your fans live in a certain state that passed a certain law, safe to assume some of them had to vote for it. I think it's fair.

As much as it pains me to say, I agree with Jimmy Carter

Pretty much what I've already said - though the interviews with one of the jurors made it very clear they considered the Stand Your Ground laws regardless of what the defense said.

Carter is an excellent ex-president. He just wasn't a very good president. Funny how that goes.

4 other jurors released a statement that the one juror who spoke did not speak for them. Perhaps the one juror relied on Stand Your Ground, but she may have been the only one .. or not .. who knows

Exactly. A mistrial and a chance for another attempt for the prosecution, and the defense. One is enough.

If that happened, a few things probably would have happened. The prosecution would have dropped the murder charge for sure, which was stupid to bring to begin with and Zimmerman would have used a Stand Your Ground defense actively and on the law probably would have at least come out with another mistrial.

... and if this case was not so much in the news, there probably would not be a second trial

Back