Unpopular Metal/Rock Opinions

Here's my thoughts on some of the first few 'unpopular opinions' of this thread:
  • Metallica have never sold out- Eh I beg to differ, if you ever saw that horrible MTV Icon tribute to them in 2003- SNOOP DOGG sang one of their songs, enough said!!!
  • Power metal is one of the worst genres of music ever- I like a fair amount of power metal- Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Symphony X, etc... I guess it does get lame and cheesy after a while but the good ones of the genre ARE worth listening to

• Aside from a couple of songs, Slayer is awful- I have to somewhat agree, I like some of their old 80s/early 90s stuff, but after a while, zzzz..
  • Pantera is boring- eh somewhat, I like their first 2 albums from the early 90s, after that they kinda lost it, but those 2 are good ones
  • Pearl Jam sucks. They sound like a great folk singer trying to fit with a weak rock band- :eek:Agh, I'll pretend I didn't read that, I love PJ(older stuff mostly, but their new album from last year is good)
  • Despite having great singers; Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden are all mediocre- I don't like Nirvana at all, I think they are way overrated.. but I love AIC and Soundgarden, definitley the 2 more metal-ish of the 'big 4' of grunge

Here's my thoughts on some of the first few 'unpopular opinions' of this thread:
  • Metallica have never sold out- Eh I beg to differ, if you ever saw that horrible MTV Icon tribute to them in 2003- SNOOP DOGG sang one of their songs, enough said!!

I have seen it, yes. It's a tribute show that was meant to be fun, Snoop Dogg did Sad But True as a joke and Metallica members laughed at him. This has absolutely nothing to do with their musical approaches. Like I said before, selling out means throwing away your musical interests for money. They've never done that. People attack them because they went mainstream and play parts in the mainstream music media, saying that they've "forgotten their roots" which is what I assume you're doing here. Let me tell you something, if a band tells you that they don't want to be mainstream, they don't want to be a big thing, because "they know their place", they're either lying to your face or are trying to please you by acting pretentious.

Bands start out because they want to reach audiences and play music to other people. It's illogical to think a band will go out of their way to avoid being even more famous. Some do it by throwing away the reason they started out and turn into a money-making machine; some do it by embracing the status they've achieved. Metallica have done the latter.

Last edited:
People think I'm crazy here for liking Bob Dylan I'm sure :), but this is why I like him. Lyrics. The storytelling. The way he accents his words, the way he sometimes puts extra emphasis on a word or uses his voice to drag them out.The way he phrases his sentences is masterful! .People can say what they want about Dylan ( I don't care) but if you're looking for emotional depth ( a previous discussion in this thread) try out Dylan or some of the singer/songwriters of the 70's.....:) Just be prepared to listen to the message instead of the music.

I've tried to get into Dylan and I just don't like him as a musician. That said, I agree with your point wholeheartedly. His lyrics are a thing of brilliance. Reading them is a revelation. I love Tom Waits because, in my opinion, he is equally the wordsmith, but also brilliant at writing melodies, structuring songs, and creating unique soundscapes. He creates music that is equally as important as, and in most cases greatly enhances, the message.

I have never liked U 2 one bit, I don't understand the hype, their music is boring as hell! And don't even get me started on Bono, I can't stand him one bit! Also think Aerosmith are way overrated

I completely agree about U2 and Bono. Aerosmith...eh, they have a few good songs.

• Power metal is one of the worst genres of music ever- I like a fair amount of power metal- Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Symphony X, etc... I guess it does get lame and cheesy after a while but the good ones of the genre ARE worth listening to

Well, you've mentioned four bands who fit outside of the blanket "power metal" genre, other than Blind Guardian, who helped to invent it and thus can't really be held accountable for the waves of lameness that followed in their wake. Kamelot used to be very power metal, but they have always leaned more towards the symphonic side of things, Iced Earth fused power metal with thrash, and only a handful of Symphony X songs are truly power metal, they are much more a progressive/symphonic band.

yes, you are right there, those 4 are not your typical cheesy D&D power metal-type bands.. Kamelot have much darker lyrical themes and like you said, are more of a symphonic metal band... Blind Guardian stand out from others because their songs are based on actual fantasy stories by JRR Tolkein/George RR Martin/etc.. and yea, Iced Earth are more of a thrash/power combo, and Symphony X are more on the prog/symphonic side, but, I still somewhat consider them power metal since they have some fantasy-themed lyrics

The types of power metal bands I loathe are the real lame & cheesy ones like Dragonforce & Hammerfall & Stratovarious & etc

Pearl Jam sucks. They sound like a great folk singer trying to fit with a weak rock band

I don't recall who first said this, I'm grabbing the quote from SIT84 because it's closest...

I love PJ's first album. Ten is probably in my top ten all time favorite albums. The next one was very good, the third good, and since then they've stayed on a steady average with a few standouts (Yield, the last album was strong too).

So while I'd never call them a "weak band", I won't dispute calling Eddie a folk singer in a rock band. I think there's more to it, but that's certainly a part. I would also note that they're a much better live band than studio. Their albums can be meh but every live vid I've seen has been great.

I have never liked U 2 one bit, I don't understand the hype, their music is boring as hell!

Again, I thought this was quite a popular opinion!

U2 keep reinventing themselves. I liked their early era originating from punk-ish roots, from Boy to The Unforgettable Fire, enjoyed little to nothing of Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum era, and found Achtung Baby and the whole Zoo TV Tour thing a bit of amusing silliness. Since that time I haven't liked anything they've done. And the hype is enormous and unbearable, possibly the worst thing about them.....apart from their sound live. This remains the only band to give me temporary deafness for a couple of days.

As I listen to it now .. Ace Frehley (78 solo album) is musically the best thing with the band name "Kiss" on it.

Again, I thought this was quite a popular opinion!

U2 keep reinventing themselves. I liked their early era originating from punk-ish roots, from Boy to The Unforgettable Fire, enjoyed little to nothing of Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum era, and found Achtung Baby and the whole Zoo TV Tour thing a bit of amusing silliness. Since that time I haven't liked anything they've done. And the hype is enormous and unbearable, possibly the worst thing about them.....apart from their sound live. This remains the only band to give me temporary deafness for a couple of days.

I like songs here and there from U2, but never a band that I have had a desire to listen to for any length of time.

... and I feel the same way about Rush. I know they are talented, they seem like cool guys, but their music does little for me.

U2 keep reinventing themselves. I liked their early era originating from punk-ish roots, from Boy to The Unforgettable Fire

Those first 4 albums had a different vibe from all else that followed. They were pretentious but they were also genuinely hungry before they made it big. October is a very good record, and I'd recommend it to anyone who judges U2 by Joshua Tree and later only.

Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are good, for what they are. I think U2 drops off very quickly after that, although I did like All That You Can't Leave Behind.

As I listen to it now .. Ace Frehley (78 solo album) is musically the best thing with the band name "Kiss" on it.

That's interesting. I'd say Paul Stanley (78 solo album) is musically the best thing with the band name "Kiss" on it.

The Paul Stanley album is alright but Ace's is by far the best.

Speaking of Kiss, here's one: Destroyer is not one of my favorite Kiss albums. I find the production to be very off putting and there's a lot of material on there I don't really care for. Since the production almost ruins most of the songs on there that I do like, there's not really any reason for me to listen to it. I much prefer the followup, Rock and Roll Over.

While 'Rock And Roll Over' contains two of my favourite Kiss songs ('Take Me' and 'Baby Driver'), Destroyer will always be my favourite Kiss studio (band) album.

musically the best thing with the band name "Kiss" on it

KISS_My_Ass_cover.jpg

"classic kiss regrooved" counts as the band name Kiss for me.

Actually, the best is Alive, by miles.

Will this thread ever become what the Unpopular Maiden Opinions became?

I'll partake.
- 2112 Is an ok song.
- I cannot stand Jack Whites voice.
- Megadeth's Th1rt3en was pretty good.
- Black Sabbath is extremely overrated.
- Red Baron/ Blue Max by Iced Earth is their best song.
- I don't like Opeth.
- Avenged Sevenfold was never a good band and never made a good album. That includes Waking the Fallen.

- 2112 Is an ok song.
I can kinda agree with this. The context of 2112 is much more impressive than the song itself. It's still a great epic, but not Rush's best (and the album is only ok).

I can kinda agree with this. The context of 2112 is much more impressive than the song itself. It's still a great epic, but not Rush's best (and the album is only ok).
There's a reason Rush only performs the really good parts live. That, and they're old and probably want to go to bed.

Back