Unpopular Metal/Rock Opinions

How is this unpopular? :D

Maybe around here it isn't, but it's still immensely popular, for reasons unknown.

@MrKB: United Abominations is a great album. The whole resurgence trilogy (TSHF, UA and Endgame) is great in my view.
Barlow is a close second, but Greely's performances in Stygian and Pure Evil...wow.

My turn:
Most of black or death metal I heard has more emotional depth than most of prog rock/metal worshipped around here.
Led Zeppelin might be most overrated musicians/band ever.
Jimmy Hendrix was a great guitarist, but his music really isn't good.
Grunge doesn't exist, it's a made up term and bands labeled as grunge are either heavy metal or hard rock. Nirvana/Pearl Jam - hard rock, AiC/SG - heavy metal.

- Death metal does have more emotional depth than any other metal genre there is. I don't know what prog you've heard, but it's hard to be more emotionally strong than some stuff from King Crimson, Pink Floyd or Genesis.
- They're definitely up there.
- Absolutely disagree.
- Grunge is a cultural term, not exactly a musical thing per se.

If a bit of history is of any interest: in the 90s, the radio stations that played "grunge" called themselves "Modern Rock". While it may be a corporate term, it's actually a much better description by virtue of its simplicity. In my library, I have Seattle bands who were part of that scene before the Singles soundtrack labelled as Grunge, and all the other followers (included the Foos) labelled as Modern Rock.

A few people here know my opinion: 99% of all growling vocals are non-musical trash, and all those songs would have been much better with a normal singer, singing a normal melody.

I have so many unpopular opinions that I have learned to keep quiet... Most of the time.:p I'd link to think I've grown a lot more accepting though. As a guitarplayer and hobby musician myself, I have another view on things. Some famous musicians are simply not that good at their instruments. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a lot of music made by non-virtuosos, in fact - most of the music I listen to is made by quite average musicians that simply did things right. And the guitarplayers I admire are maybe not that proficient, but their playing is captivating still. They can play the most simple things in new ways, in a way that makes it sound interesting, and that is what I think is all that matters.

Then there are those I simply do not get at all, and usually get flamed for criticizing - Jimmy Page, Kirk Hammett, Eric Clapton and a few others. I want to sit down with people praising these "guitar gods" and honestly and reasonably ask them, why? I don't know if I'd get any close to understanding them, but I would still try.

I honestly want to think these guys are the shit. I want to be moved (don't we all search for that?), to be totally amazed - but most of the time I get bored. It is getting rarer and rarer, but sometimes I still find players who amaze me, and when I do I spend hours trying to figure out why, before aiming to incorporate as much of that I can into my own playing.

Jimmy Page, Kirk Hammett, Eric Clapton and a few others. I want to sit down with people praising these "guitar gods" and honestly and reasonably ask them, why?

Part of it is "history and tradition", which you could equally call "old fart syndrome". As a sufferer of such an illness, allow me to offer a theory...

When those guys made their name, rock as a genre was only half of its current age. They were big fish in a much smaller pond. There was actually a recognized "big four" at one time: Jimmy, Jimi, Jeff and Eric. You always said it that way because you knew that if anyone had to ask for the last names, they were a Neanderthal.

It's the same defense you hear from Beatles fans: by the standards of their time, they were the best.

Page, it's about innovation. Not just playing, but arrangement and writing. Stairway seems average now but was a geniune miracle at the time. Also the diversity of his playing: blues, rock, folk, country. Few bands had the range of Zeppelin. Queen was one of the few bands who had a wider stylistic diversity.

Hammett, I wouldn't put up as high, but still high. Unlike many thrash soloists, he has a great sense of drama and phrasing. I can sing along to many parts of Kirk's solos, but not Slayer or Megadeth.

Clapton... have you listened to much blues? I don't mean blues rock, I mean genuine blues. Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Albert King... Clapton is the greatest blues guitarist ever, hands down. Clapton speaks with his guitar like few others can.

Sure, you can point to many others who have achieved the same since then. But these old rock gods were all, to some degree at least, ahead of their time.

There's a lot more to the 70s than just self-indulgent stuff. In the same decade, punk rock came along to blast that long-winded stuff away.

Here's a relevant unpopular opinion of mine: most disco, even the bad disco, is miles better than any dance music from this century. I prefer real instruments played badly over computers programmed well. (Also disco is a goldmine for superb basslines.)

I very much agree about disco. It's not good, but I'll take it over modern dance any day.

And don't even get me started on punk. As much as self-indulgent stuff bores, I'll take it anyday over 30 seconds songs played by guys who don't know how to play or sing. Most "true" punk sounds like garbage to me.

Also, the 70's were THE era of singer/songwriters...There's some great ones from this decade :)

Very true. I was thinking about mentioning that too, but I figured they were included in the "self-indulgent" group. :cool:

Ariana simply said 70's rock music, so I wasn't talking about anything else. I love a lot of 70's music, especially the singer/songwriter stuff and MoTown/soul. But there were definitely some rock bands I could do without.

@MrKB: United Abominations is a great album. The whole resurgence trilogy (TSHF, UA and Endgame) is great in my view.
Barlow is a close second, but Greely's performances in Stygian and Pure Evil...wow.

UA has two good songs, Sleepwalker and Washington is Next! (which is one of my favorite Deth songs of all time). However, the rest of the album does nothing for me. It's background music. The title track, and I think one or two others, are just Dave talking over mediocre riffs and news samples. Ugh.

Also, Barlow blows Greely's performances on both of those songs out of the water. IRYO, though. :)

A few people here know my opinion: 99% of all growling vocals are non-musical trash, and all those songs would have been much better with a normal singer, singing a normal melody.

Yeah, not unpopular at all. There are a few times I can enjoy growls (Opeth, Soilwork, some Amon Amarth), but they are generally only enjoyable to me when balanced with good clean singing.

I have so many unpopular opinions that I have learned to keep quiet... Most of the time.:p I'd link to think I've grown a lot more accepting though. As a guitarplayer and hobby musician myself, I have another view on things. Some famous musicians are simply not that good at their instruments. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a lot of music made by non-virtuosos, in fact - most of the music I listen to is made by quite average musicians that simply did things right. And the guitarplayers I admire are maybe not that proficient, but their playing is captivating still. They can play the most simple things in new ways, in a way that makes it sound interesting, and that is what I think is all that matters.

Then there are those I simply do not get at all, and usually get flamed for criticizing - Jimmy Page, Kirk Hammett, Eric Clapton and a few others. I want to sit down with people praising these "guitar gods" and honestly and reasonably ask them, why? I don't know if I'd get any close to understanding them, but I would still try.

I honestly want to think these guys are the shit. I want to be moved (don't we all search for that?), to be totally amazed - but most of the time I get bored. It is getting rarer and rarer, but sometimes I still find players who amaze me, and when I do I spend hours trying to figure out why, before aiming to incorporate as much of that I can into my own playing.

I was gonna respond, but SMX pretty much covered it.

I will add: it's not always about virtuoso skills. Some people just have a feeling, a style, that captivates an audience. Take Santana. He's not a virtuoso player by any means. He's damn good, but a lot of other people could play circles around him. However, his style is iconic and his sound is instantly recognizable. In music, style can often be vastly more captivating than mind-blowing talent.

Page is an OK guitarist. His genius is in what he borrowed and how he arranged it. He is a legend because he was the leader of a legendary band who happened to play guitar.

Hammett is OK too. He happens to be the lead guitarist of another legendary band.

Clapton, however, is fucking awesome. So much melody and so much feel.

And don't even get me started on punk. As much as self-indulgent stuff bores, I'll take it anyday over 30 seconds songs played by guys who don't know how to play or sing. Most "true" punk sounds like garbage to me.

I get what you mean. I brought up more to point out that the 70s were very diverse, and it seems to me at least odd and probably wrong to lump it all together purely on chronology.

Ariana simply said 70's rock music

You're right. 'Twas my error to take it more generally perhaps. I tend to interpret the word "rock" very broadly. For me it does include singer/songwriters, bubblegum pop, and lots of other stuff that others might intend to exclude with the word "rock".

Last edited:

Agree 100%, an occasional growl or scream is cool, but it is just grating when that is all there is

May I present an unpopular opinion in this topic:

The more unpopular opinions some of you have (and some of these are quite numerous and/or disqualify a large amount of metal: especially the anti-harsh vocal department, or the complete dismissal of power metal, a genre which can have various sounding bands), the more limited is your tolerance and listening range in metal/rock.

Ultimely this leads to an increased chance of generalizing (this doesn't fit in my "category"), which can lead to cancelling new discoveries or possibilities to let music grow. It gives less room for subtle opinions.

@KB: The title track, Blessed Are The Dead and A Call To Arms are also great songs in my view.

May I present an unpopular opinion in this topic:

The more unpopular opinions some of you have (and some of these are quite numerous and/or disqualify a large amount of metal: especially the anti-harsh vocal department, or the complete dismissal of power metal, a genre which can have various sounding bands), the more limited is your tolerance and listening range in metal/rock.

Ultimely this leads to an increased chance of generalizing (this doesn't fit in my "category"), which can lead to cancelling new discoveries or possibilities to let music grow. It gives less room for subtle opinions.

That is a fair point, but I will say I have given those types of vocals a fair shake starting back in the 1980s with Venom and Celtic Frost up to trying out some bands posted here and while I think there is some good stuff musically going on, the "vocals" just kill it for me. Slayer is the closest I'll go. Anyway, I tried at various points over 30 years to like it, I pretty much give up now :)

Power metal is a great genre. I think the reason it gets dismissed is because quite honestly, a lot of it does sound the same, unless you put in a lot of time becoming an expert. But it's still a great sound... it's like saying all nachos taste the same. Sure, but it's a great taste!

Yeah, I'm with bearfan.
I've given growls a good shot on this site several times. Still do.
The vocals have ruined several decent songs.

There are all kinds of great pizzas, but if you smother each in black olives, I'm not going to enjoy them.

EDIT: I see SMX beat me to the food analogy. Must be lunchtime.

Another one. The idea of sub genres within metal is extraordinarily limiting.
Now that depends on how someone lets their opinion lead by sub genres (a question of self limitation).
Power metal is a great genre. I think the reason it gets dismissed is because quite honestly, a lot of it does sound the same, unless you put in a lot of time becoming an expert. But it's still a great sound... it's like saying all nachos taste the same. Sure, but it's a great taste!
There's indeed a lot of incest in power metal. It certainly shouldn't be digested in large numbers. But there are quality bands, there are great albums, and @Brigantium there are tougher forms of power metal.
- I find black metal to be devoid of everything except walls of sound.
There are bands that use classical influences, or even instruments. There are bands who bring variety and unexpected changed in their music. When that happens it's getting hard to simply dimiss a complete genre by calling it a wall of sound.

Last edited:
There are bands that use classical influences, or even instruments. There are bands who bring variety and unexpected changed in their music. When that happens it's getting hard to simply dimiss a complete genre by calling it a wall of sound.

I don't want this to become a thread about black metal, so: please PM me any black metal bands that have good lyrics, quality production values, lyrics that are discernible (even if they are growled/screamed), and some sort of melody in the music and vocal. If there is no band that can do those things, than yes, I will dismiss the entire genre as something that I do not enjoy.

Back