UK Politics

Hopefully the thugs get chased out of town.
Hopefully ...

The other protest mentioned is scheduled to happen sometime around the middle of the day. That lot plan to process from the Bargate along Above Bar Street and finish up in East Park, which is just up the road from where I work. That seems harmless enough if they stick to just that but we've been warned to be careful outside the building at lunchtime.

The evening one looks the more likely to get nasty I think :(.

Social media is really under fire in all this. Any nutter can make a post suggesting locations and days for protests or actual arson attacks, and incite people to fight police and burn police cars, and the social media platforms are just ignoring it. No organising required, just incitement to violence and hoping that local nutters will turn up.

Musk has been a prize arsehole in the past few days, pretty much siding with thugs and trying to say it's free speech. Not sure what part of '£50 quid to everyone who smashes a police car' is free speech, or posting flame emojis and giving addresses of hotels they *think* refugees might be staying in.

To be honest I've been wondering "Telegram Sam" is involved in orchestrating anything at all - I think he may be just some sad, pathetic Wearside Jack type with a perverse craving for notoriety ...

Anyway here can be found an update on the situation in Southampton, if anyone's interested:
https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/24503497.southampton-closures-police-patrols-ahead-protests/

For anyone only mildly curious, here are the salient points:
The protest:

The counter-protest:

A general summary:
summary.JPG
Sellers of plywood boarding did quite good trade though :D

That's the thing, anyone can make these posts, and police never quite know if anything is actually being organised, or if someone is just trying to incite it, scare people, and sent the police out chasing ghosts. Of course a lot of the major misbehavers are in custody now and are being denied bail, probably for good reason. The courts were sitting very late last night and the sentencing has been at the upper end of what's possible.

That's the thing, anyone can make these posts, and police never quite know if anything is actually being organised, or if someone is just trying to incite it, scare people, and sent the police out chasing ghosts. Of course a lot of the major misbehavers are in custody now and are being denied bail, probably for good reason. The courts were sitting very late last night and the sentencing has been at the upper end of what's possible.
I think there's also a certain amount of "it's happening, other people are stirring it up: I'll take the credit for it while staying well away and not getting arrested".

Back