UK Politics

Coolio!! Now, how do we persuade Sir Nigel of Farage to get back into politics again. And how do we persuade folks to vote for the great man!!!

Mark Twain: Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Kind of a fun fact, it is more likely for Trump to be PM than any of your former PM’s becoming US president, since you have to be born in the US to be president but just need to be a citizen to become PM (and if I’m not mistaken, citizenship for a commonwealth country is also applicable?).

Boris Johnson did tick that box for quite some time, so be careful what you wish for!

Oh okay.

Can we make UK Politics thread British again now?
Sure can. Now how do we persuade Sir Nigel of Farage to get back into politics again, so as we can vote for the great man!! And how do we persuade the "woke" brigade to vote for him. True patriots such as myself know he is the top man for the top job. But the loonie lefties. Oh dear! OK discuss!!!

We're going to move to reasonable discussion points. Wandy, you're welcome to participate, but attempts to derail the thread towards unrealistic outcomes, as well as name-calling (such as "Claire Starmer") isn't welcome. If you're going to ramble off pointless statements designed to inflame, you'll be removed from posting in the thread.

Wandy's been removed - to be clear, you're welcome to post as long as you're not a fascist or a shit disturber, and Wandy was definitely at least one of those. I'd welcome the view of a Tory, assuming there's any left in the UK.

Well it looks like it’s going to be Sunak now that Boris has dropped out, and despite the circumstances it is going to be vaguely historical as he will be our first Hindu PM and this is noteworthy. At the very least it will make the usual shower of racists and nutters squirm in their burrows

Well it looks like it’s going to be Sunak now that Boris has dropped out, and despite the circumstances it is going to be vaguely historical as he will be our first Hindu PM and this is noteworthy. At the very least it will make the usual shower of racists and nutters squirm in their burrows

Not having Boris is good news; apparently he dropped out because he could not face the humiliation.

Although I think a general election is a must, Sunak might be one of the few relatively sensible Tories left.

Not having Boris is good news; apparently he dropped out because he could not face the humiliation.

Although I think a general election is a must, Sunak might be one of the few relatively sensible Tories left.

The only course of action any winner should take is calling a general election, however I understand that out of misguided self preservation they won’t and will try and see out the term.

Still this is Sunak’s opportunity to show us what he’s got. I expect the markets will react favourably which will give us some small reprieve. Though this may still go down to the Tory membership if Mordaunt gets enough support and god knows what they’d do.

Well it looks like it’s going to be Sunak now that Boris has dropped out, and despite the circumstances it is going to be vaguely historical as he will be our first Hindu PM and this is noteworthy.

I don't agree with that logic anymore, not after Obama. First black, first woman, first gay, first Hindu. So what? Everything has already happened somewhere else, we have pretty much left those stereotypes behind.
Question for a PM is to be hinged, good leader and active. With the right qualities and policies to support the people. The later being unlikely for a Toris.

At the very least it will make the usual shower of racists and nutters squirm in their burrows

Or initiate a post Obama-like far /alt right -Cabal- conspiracy nonsense like in US.

I don't agree with that logic anymore, not after Obama. First black, first woman, first gay, first Hindu. So what? Everything has already happened somewhere else, we have pretty much left those stereotypes behind.
Question for a PM is to be hinged, good leader and active. With the right qualities and policies to support the people. The later being unlikely for a Toris.

Or initiate a post Obama-like far /alt right -Cabal- conspiracy nonsense like in US.
Given the lingering ingrained racism in Britain, not to mention the relationship between the State and the Anglican church, it's highly significant here. Conservatives have a not insignificant hardcore of voters and members who look down their noses at other races and nationalities (a unique combo of racism and elitist class snobbery) - including nations other than England in the Union for that matter :'(

Plus support for Brexit in recent years, and support for the Conservative Party in traditionally Labour voting areas, has been on the back of a combination of anti-immigrant, nationalist or racist sentiment. Sunak is 'posh enough' if you like for the stuffy types to accept, but he won't be one of them. Not sure how he'll come across to the populist crowd.

British Conservatism is traditionally not so much focused on directly serving the people as promoting international political prestige and playing up the role of being a major economic power.

Well there we have it. It’s Sunak. Let’s hope he gets off to a strong start by not tanking the economy immediately. That’s literally all he has to do to improve on Truss

Yeah, really curious how Sunak will do. He was the superior candidate (for whatever that means) compared to Truss, but that bar is so low that worms wriggle over it every day. Unfortunately he will avoid a general election as long as possible.

I just realized that the UK got rid of the fixed elections act, in essence attempting to give Boris a six year term. What the fuck?

Not sure if it would matter to Sunak, but today is Diwali.

Not sure if it would matter to Sunak, but today is Diwali.

If he identifies himself as Hindu, it would.
Yeap he is, he took an oath on Bhagavad Gita, great piece of scripture by the way. He is not Sikh despite being originated from Punjab.

EDIT: He's been working to Goldman Sachs...

Last edited:
If he identifies himself as Hindu, it would.
Yeap he is, he took an oath on Bhagavad Gita, great piece of scripture by the way. He is not Sikh despite being originated from Punjab.

EDIT: He's been working to Goldman Sachs...

In that case: “Happy Diwali Mr Sunak. I hope you won’t be Prime Minister by the next one”.

Last edited:
Back