UK Politics

I would argue that there is a massive difference: University education is not compulsory, unlike primary and secondary education. :)

Compulsory is very relative. What kind of job most mortals can find today, without University degree? Then, even for the public and "free" primary schools there is a catch. A family which can afford to send their kids to Harvard they certainly live in such a neighbourhood that public schools are "more equal" than schools in poor neighbourhoods. So even when a family is sending their kids to "public" schools in a chic neighbourhood again those schools are of much better quality (also surrounding streets are cleaner etc) than those in poor areas.

Nowhere is more evident than in China. Public education is often the best (except >50,000$ a year top of the line private ones) and you must strictly send your kid around the area you are living /own something.
Thus the real estate prices skyrocket around good public schools as people pay literally millions for holes next to a good primary public schools to be eligible to send their kid there. So you can see rich people sending their kids in public schools where good standing people (but not rich) are obliged to pay for less quality private ones!!

In the end there are much more barriers than just the simplified public -private. Segregation in education will always be a thing either visible or not, because humans like to put barriers for other humans whenever and however they can.

Most UK Universities are not private institutions. It is true they charge fees (don't get me started on the rise introduced last decade :mad:), but that is also the case with public Universities elsewhere in Europe, although in other places they are much more heavily subsidised by the taxpayer.

In France you can have high level studies not just for free, but they can subsidise part of it you if you are serious in what you are doing. Hell they can subsidise even if you are not that serious! In other countries you should pay for the books, get very cheap rent in the campus and there are no fees.

The highly subsidised French University system is worth of praise, as also is their republicanism. :)

Shame about the rise of fascism there though. :(

I have a theory that France is the political heart of Europe. As long as its people stand strong there's still some hope. And despite the rise of the right they still do. France is a country that traditionally votes right and still its people have leftish views comparing to other countries.

I have a theory that France is the political heart of Europe. As long as its people stand strong there's still some hope. And despite the rise of the right they still do. France is a country that traditionally votes right and still its people have leftish views comparing to other countries.

I’ll quote this post so I do not forget to continue the discussion when Le Pen becomes their leader. :(

I didn’t mean it that way. French are still politically vibrant, i.e. they are still protesting on the streets en masse, like gilets jaunes recently.

Yes true, I knew you would mention that; I would too, but my point is that there’s a movement. This is the base, regardless of ideologies. People to still go gathering, talk, protesting on the streets.

There's no denying that demonstrating is still alive and well in France.

In the UK we are starting to see quite a lot of strike action recently.

Let’s hope. Maybe history plays a role.
In UK we had the Glorious Revolution, bloodless, in France the French one, bloodbath. And not just that, Commune of Paris was a huge thing too.

There were things happening in the past with unions and all, and so Marx went to live in London. But generally UK doesn’t appear to have the “revolutionary DNA” that France or Spain have. Or Russia.

Ha ha, not even close. In the eyes of the Eastern Europe, France is far from being/showing LEADERSHIP.

Yahoo, which toned things things down a lot during the lockdowns after initially becoming a platform for covidsceptics and the UK's equivalent of the most crazy Trump supporters, is now flagging up the plight of Kent people including a woman who found a runaway refugee teenager in her bedroom. I suspect this is going to turn into 'locals are under attack and fighting back'.

Yahoo, which toned things things down a lot during the lockdowns after initially becoming a platform for covidsceptics and the UK's equivalent of the most crazy Trump supporters, is now flagging up the plight of Kent people including a woman who found a runaway refugee teenager in her bedroom. I suspect this is going to turn into 'locals are under attack and fighting back'.

The fascistic rhetoric of the Home Secretary is only going to make matters worse.

It's probably already happening.

It didn’t take long (before a Tory MP said that)!

But wait, apparently he was driven by hate (according to the terror police)!

Yeah....they sort of want pick and choose cheap disposable migrant workers but not open borders. Quite few businesses seem to have expected this, like Tim Nice-but-Wetherspoon.

Back