Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I vote for Adrian's Caught Somewhere in Time solo.

I'd like to repeat a wonderful description for Adrian's CSIT solo by Sara (whose absence worries me):
Caught Somewhere In Time (4:05 - 4:50)

Although Davey also plays a great solo in this one, H totally upstages him with a towering display of guitar wizardry and theatrics that's almost like fireworks going off inside my speakers! The solo itself starts off with some great harmonic tricks, and then gradually builds in tension as it nears it's conclusion. The tapping and divebombing during the solo's final section is simply breathtaking, and finishes off an amazing solo in spectacular style!

That's some nice insight, thank you :okok:.

I wish we could also see DWYBO progress much further!
You're welcome. I suppose you mean Adrian's solo? Here the game history of Adrian's Die With Your Boots On solo.
Round 1A:
It became second with one vote less than the winner -Dave's 2nd Powerslave solo-, Dave's Sign of the Cross solo (Rock in Rio) and Janick Gers' FTFFOG solo.

Round 1B:
In a group of four it landed on a shared 2nd place, shared with Janick's Como Estais Amigos solo. It did better than Dave Murray's Futureal solo and worse than group winner The Evil That Men Do by Adrian Smith.

Round 2:
It was eliminated in a battle with Adrian's Wasted Years (with enormous difference).

Last edited:
Going into this, I was sure I was going to vote for Stranger. Now, after listening to both solos back to back, I'm not so sure.

I'm going to need to take my time with this one...

Honestly, this was one of the easiest decisions that I've made in this Game. Unfortunately, I fail to hear many of those qualities that you guys attribute to CSIT.

Sure, it's a long, energetic and fun solo and I would probably put it in my TOP 6 or TOP 7 Adrian solos. However, there is no way I would place it above a solo as brilliantly composed as SIASL.

SIASL sounds amazing, even when played on its own. It almost tells a story and not a single note sounds forced or out of place.
My vote goes for Stranger!

[QUOTE="Forostar, post: 603261, member: 1066"
Semi Final 2:
[/QUOTE]
Two fantastic soli. Both highlight H's skill at choosing the right note at the right time. The decisive point for me is that while CSIT flows really well and rocks your socks off, it doesn't give me the same feeling of being a greater whole. It is more a sequence of cool licks that fit well together. SIASL on the other hand, feels like all of it has the same thought behind it. That sets it apart.

Stranger by a mile. CSIT is just a series of disjointed licks without direction or reason. Technically impressive but adding nothing to the song. Whereas in jazz parlance the Stranger solo "tells a better story".

Adding nothing to the song? Disjointed licks without direction or reason?

Get out of here already.

Some of these comments are ridiculous, towards a solo that has reached the semi finals. We're talking about a an Iron Maiden solo that has reached the last four. The last four! It didn't just pop up here. Look what it went through. It took two fucking years, if we include the background and preparations of this game. It made some of the biggest victories. Might have gone the easiest through in all the stages.

I know that an opinion is an opinion, but I have an idea that some people have problems with realizing how good and popular it is compared to 99 percent of all Maiden solos.

This is like slagging off Hallowed be Thy Name, Rime, Powerslave or Phantom of the Opera. Ridiculous. Of course one can prefer something over something else, but these comments are odd to say the least.

Last edited:
CSIT. The single best solo ever, in my opinion.

Did you intentionally pair solos by the same guitarist in the semis, Foro? If so, not good.

Adding nothing to the song? Disjointed licks without direction or reason?

Get out of here already.

Whoa, whoa, WHOA. Wait a minute, are you actually kicking me out?

Some of these comments are ridiculous, towards a solo that has reached the semi finals. We're talking about a an Iron Maiden solo that has reached the last four. The last four! It didn't just pop up here.
It reached the last four. And deservedly so. I like it better than lots of the solos that went away. But the same can be said about SIASL.
And once a contestant reaches this far you hold it to a stricter standard.
My comments were all in the context of the pairing with Stranger, and yes, Stranger has more aim and direction as a whole. CSiT rocks my socks off but I hear awesome lick + pause + awesome lick + pause, etc. And with "adding nothing to the song" I do not mean it does not make the song better - it does - but it does not in my opinion take the song to another level in the way that Stranger does.
I know that an opinion is an opinion, but I have an idea that some people have problems with realizing how good and popular it is compared to 99 percent of all Maiden solos.
I really do not understand you. Even if I'm a newbie I read the entire thread, all 130+ pages of it. All through the game you have been advocating being honest to oneself, listening to the solos like it was the first time, forgetting the context... And now just because I don't praise one of your apparent pet choices I'm supposed to consider popular opinion? What the hell?
This is like slagging off Hallowed be Thy Name, Rime, Powerslave or Phantom of the Opera. Ridiculous. Of course one can prefer something over something else, but these comments are odd to say the least.
Or Run to the Hills. ;)
No, but seriously, I don't know how serious you were but the last thing I would imagine is that I would be made feel unwelcome in a game thread about an opinion (in a game context) about a solo in a song which is not even one of the Sacred Cows, or so I thought.

Back