Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't understand how any of that is possible
Well, I think SiT kind of loses spark in the second side (except for "Stranger") ans I'm not fond of the guitar sound in that album, besides the solos seem to be too wanky and directionless. My favourite solos from SiT are WY and SIASL. I'm not so enamoured of CSiT as others are - yes, they are dazzling displays of tricks but nothing more. Both Adrian and Dave have lots of better and more meaningful solos.

That's kind of how I feel about SIT. I do think it's cleverer than mere tricks and wankery, but I get tired of the guitar sound if I listen to more than one track, and yes, it is full of dazzle.

It is a fast solo over fast music. And it isn't a short solo. Some people can't take that. But there's plenty of melody left. And it doesn't start that fast even. There's a nice build-up, with increasing intensity.

There's still love, soul and feeling thrown into it. How would you imagine a solo over such music then?

Last edited:
I would expect a more fluid, organic solo.. Something like IOA or WTWWB Adrian Smith solo styles.

Technically CSit is awesome but...

soulless.

The songs you mention have slower tempo. Way slower.

I am afraid the wizardy Adrian serves us is just too much to process for some of us. Again I stress it isn't purely technique. There's build-up, the man uses melodic phrases, accents and a lot of rhythm in this solo and he covers lots of the possibilities.

Last edited:
It sure is less fluid sounding than Dave's preceding solo. And maybe it also doesn't sound fluid in some ears because it has a somewhat lineair, or straight approach. He chops up the backing chords into small solo pieces, often of the same length per chord. When the pieces are smaller, it gets faster. Often these pieces are in groups of 6 or 12 or even more per chord, Basically you can count along (1,2,3,1,2,3) all the time and hear how Adrian changes.

But check the notes he chooses (and the way he presses them of course). I like it how he builds up and alternates (sometimes he changes speed within one chord sequence).

Dave's preceding solo is bland. He doesn't deliver Adrian a perfect momento for him to begin his solo.

Maybe the fault is on the song itself. Not so rock, not so prog, not so heavy. Sounds dragged. Does not evolve.

All I'm saying is based on my own music taste and perceptions, of course.

I feel like there's a little bit of noodling in AtG, so Powerslave, as a solo with clearer direction, wins for me.

For me , the guitar sound on SIT makes the album, and I disagree that the solos are soulless and noodling. SIT is the consensus favorite album amongst Maiden fans for a reason.

Back