Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Careful now, I wasn't joking. I rather not tolerate (anti-)guitarist bias. Let's just compare the solos and cut the crap.

Last edited:
Within 24 hours 15 people had voted for Stranger and 1 for Rainmaker. I did not have faith in a comeback.

Last edited:
I never expected this amount of love for FOTD solo - I always thought Dave had at least ten better solos...
In this match up SW solo is vastly superior and it gets my vote.

After some thinking I have decided to go with Strange World. Both are fine examples of the style of soloing they represent, but Dave has better soli in the "fast and fluid" category. Thus I choose to honor a solo in the category that doesn't have so many representatives left - a slow, melodic one with much feeling and a great tone.

Ahh ... now I realize I was too late! Bugger.

Round 4 has ended. 8 solos are left.

Iron Maiden, Virtual XI, Brave New World & Dance of Death join the albums that were eliminated in round 3 (Killers, The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, A Matter of Life and Death & The Final Frontier) and round 2 (Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, No Prayer for the Dying & The X-Factor). All these albums have no active solos anymore.

All solos by Dennis Stratton and Janick Gers are eliminated.

Before we start with the Quarter Finals, we're going to decide which solos will become the #9 and #10 in the top 10 from this game.

Last edited:
It's weird that all these albums are gone but FotD is still in the game. I don't think any solo from that record stands out to me in the context of the whole discography.
I definitely find Dave's leads on Fear of the Dark significant: the album has many nice Dave Murray solos. I have 6 of them in my 23 favourite Murray solos and in my top 10 there's no other album with the same number of solos (3) as Fear of the Dark. These solos do not only sound very well but some of them also have more structure than usual and strong melodies, as if he had prepared himself more.
What are the 8 solos left?
I like to keep you in the dark a bit, but I'm sure several people can and may (of course!) tell you here.

Back