Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hands down. Hah, indeed. I find that the Different World solo sounds triumphant, but also a little too happy/"praise the lord"/gospellish/joyish for my taste.

It is indeed an exuberant solo, but not for a second obnoxious.
Uncluttered, utterly genuine unself-conscious, entirely justified joy is a rare thing and something with special appeal to me. Definitely among my favourite Maiden solos.

@Forostar - at the end of this game, are you going to run a mini game for the Book of Souls solos, or pit the winners of this game against the BOS solos?

Perhaps both! At the moment, I'm thinking about a BOS-solo game that generates the 16 (or 8) most popular solos (and of course we can finish it to the end as well with one winner). Then these solos could be in a game with the 16 (or 8) most popular solos from the current game.

I'd like to finish the current game as it is right now (without BOS-solos), and build-in a break of a couple of months or so, just to have a little breath for everybody. And then the above. But to be honest, we could do the BOS-solo game earlier.

TBoS only mini-game would be very cool. It would help becoming familiar with these solos, because - I'm not gonna lie - months have passed and I still remember just a few of them. On a side note - I had no such problem with TFF... It's much stronger in the solo department.

TBoS solos vs the best solos of this game makes no sense to me, because if they were in this game, they could have already be eliminated (even top solos).

I'm just running through the TBOS solos now for the Book of Souls Awards Thread and realised I haven't paid as much attention to solos throughout the album as I'd thought. There are good ones in there, but fewer genuinely stand-alone ones. You tend to get a run of two solos which work best in the context of being heard in succession. Works beautifully as a whole, but there are fewer of those soaring stand-alone solos that we're generally used to in Maiden albums.

TBoS only mini-game would be very cool. It would help becoming familiar with these solos, because - I'm not gonna lie - months have passed and I still remember just a few of them. On a side note - I had no such problem with TFF... It's much stronger in the solo department.
I am of the complete opposite opinion. Much, much, much more impressive solos on The Book of Souls.

(NOTE: If this game is new for you, and if you would like to participate, please check the opening post of this thread, before you vote)

Result of round 1, 8th battle: Dave Murray's Isle of Avalon solo (119) is eliminated. 103 advances to the 3rd round.

Round 2: 9th battle:

It's hard to vote against TETMD but I have to do it. Breeg is one of Dave's best solos. Or maybe even the best for me. Great feel, perfectly fitting into the atmosphere of the song. Such a classy solo.

Back