Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe my vote is coloured by the fact Rime is my favourite Maiden song. The solo is the best part of The Unbeliever, which otherwise is a song I don't rate that highly. It is, no doubt, a very nice solo. But i like the solo in Rime more.

Can't really prove it but it indeed feels as if solos in iconic songs have an advantage with some people. I have been doing my utmost best to present a different perspective (just focus on these sections and nothing else) but I can't eradicate it, I'm afraid.

To wipe out that effect completely is impossible. When dealing with songs (and solos) that people have heard hundreds of times, people will have certain emotions related to those solos (soli?).

The only criteria we can use that are independent of context, are technical ones, and not everyone has an interest in (or an opionion on) that aspect.

I think you are asking too much if you expect everyone to be able to detach every solo from every song and evaluate it solely on its own merits. Still, this tournament has already seen a lot of people stating things like "love the solo, despite not caring for the song" and reflecting on the issue of solo alone vs solo in the context of the song. With that, I think you have already achieved something with the tournament, if not necessarily exactly what you wanted.

And to end with your first sentence: No, you can't really prove it, because then you would have to read people's thoughts :)

I've definitely developed a greater appreciation for several individual solos by listening to them in isolation of the rest of the song during this game. Dave's solo in Weekend Warrior was one such example. It's not one of my go-to Maiden songs. Como Estais Amigos was another one where I'd hardly paid any attention to the solo.

Iconic songs are iconic for a reason, too. Maybe the solos in these songs are one aspect of what people genuinely think makes them great. Plus some solos really capture the feel of the overall song and complement them beautifully, making it near impossible to look at them in any other context - the Paschendale solos spring to mind, and also the Rime one above.

With this game I really came to appreciate The Unbeliever as a song. For me, that beginning note in Dave's solo is the best Iron Maiden moment ever. The guitar is literally crying.
Having said this, I can't believe TU solo only has 4 bloody votes so far. It's a real shame...

The only criteria we can use that are independent of context, are technical ones, and not everyone has an interest in (or an opionion on) that aspect.
Not really. I don't know how technical my comments have been (not at all I guess). I am not a guitar buff, but merely describe what I hear or feel.
Iconic songs are iconic for a reason, too. Maybe the solos in these songs are one aspect of what people genuinely think makes them great. Plus some solos really capture the feel of the overall song and complement them beautifully, making it near impossible to look at them in any other context - the Paschendale solos spring to mind, and also the Rime one above.
I see what you mean here. Still I hope that a reasonable percentage (not everybody, I know) can still forget that for a minute, or at least is as least as much busy with the opponent, rather than with further context of the song. In this particular battle, I find the difference in votes really big and it seemed a good moment to utter some words.

More important: thanks for all these considerate reactions. Good to see how people look differently at solos, or even at a complete song! To be honest, solos (and instrumental sections) have always had big impact on myself as a listener and it's cool to see how this somewhat can be transmitted onto others. It certainly helped me with appreciating material from e.g. the lesser successful era, the nineties.

Last edited:
(NOTE: If this game is new for you, and if you would like to participate, please check the opening post of this thread, before you vote)

Result of round 1, 7th battle: Dave Murray's The Unbeliever solo (074) is eliminated. 036 advances to the 3rd round.

Round 2: 8th battle:

Last edited:
Different World. Simply because it rocks. Well composed over a relatively simple rhythm section. I appreciate that it is harder to make a solo that flows well over an unusual (for Maiden) rhythm section like the one of IOA, but I think the DW solo has more to offer in a shorter time span.

Hands down. Hah, indeed. I find that the Different World solo sounds triumphant, but also a little too happy/"praise the lord"/gospellish/joyish for my taste.

The Isle of Avalon solo has more exciting sense of adventure in my ears. Not that impressive, but less flat (unchanging) in emotion than its opponent.

Back