Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Ghost of the Navigator solo gets my only vote this round. If I Had to vote for a 2nd one, it would be for the Gates of Tomorrow solo, which I was honestly surprised by as that's my least favorite song off DoD. All in all, I'm trying to stick to one vote per round unless I feel very strongly about a 2nd solo.

Beast only has as much votes as it does because of the whole "Beast is overplayed" argument that I disagree with. I think it should be beating Ghost to be honest.

Meh. We are supposed to consider the solos outside the context of the song so the "Beast is overplayed" argument should be irrelevant. That is also why I voted for it. Ghost, imo, fits the atmosphere of the song better but isn't all that great separately.

Song preference maybe comes into it a bit, but its not the overplayed argument affecting my decision. Ghost has a lovely, expansive solo, Beast sounds choppy and rushed to me.

Last edited:
Beast sounds way too "happy" to me. I get the same feeling from Dave's solo on The Clairvoyant. Not that happy sounding stuff is exclusively bad, but I tend to think it sounds odd with Dave's style.

I enjoyed 025 the most...it tells a story even when you aren't familiar with the context. I was thinking, this reminds me of going for a stroll with a picnic basket tucked under one arm, perhaps with a couple of hobbits for company..and then it hit me, it's really starting out on a....Quest for Fire! Suddenly I'm imaging a herd of dinosaurs tripping along to that rhythm.

My second choice was going to be 080, but then after listening for a second time, I couldn't decide between it and 098. So QFF will stand alone for me.

First time playing, thanks to Forostar. Tough choices but I went with Number of the Beast (classic) and Ghost of the Navigator (breathtaking).

Oh I love Ghost's solo too, I voted for it as well as Beast. I just feel it may have influenced some people's perception.

Quest for Fire and Ghost of the Navigator.

The former might be the silliest song Maiden ever did, but the solo is pretty damn cool. Regarding Ghost: I generally like Janick's more melodic solos, this one is in the "other" category of Gers solos. Frantic. But it is one of his best in that category. Some of his fast solos sound like he just plays some fast rough stuff that sort of fits the backing, but this one is really good.

Quest for Fire and Ghost of the Navigator.

The former might be the silliest song Maiden ever did, but the solo is pretty damn cool. Regarding Ghost: I generally like Janick's more melodic solos, this one is in the "other" category of Gers solos. Frantic. But it is one of his best in that category. Some of his fast solos sound like he just plays some fast rough stuff that sort of fits the backing, but this one is really good.

I find the little instrumental part/solos in QFF quite redeeming, although prefer Dave's short solo. I assume that'll be in this game later.

Back