Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My first choice is Adrian's Coming Home solo which is excellent and really contrasts well with Dave's that precedes it.
Second is The Talisman, one of the more unconventional Maiden solos. It works similar to the WED solo in creating tension and imagery for the disastrous storm being described in the lyrics.

Coming Home and Clansman. Both distinctive and uplifting.
I prefer Adrian's solo in Still Life. I do like Talisman, it ties in extremely well with the atmosphere of the song, but the two I've chosen have more to offer, I think, especially when listening to them in isolation.

"Coming Home" is one of my absolute favourite H solos, so that one is given. Up there with his absolute best ones on Somewhere in Time without a doubt. Especially love that bend/release/bend up to the root that he begins with (have totally nicked that one in my own playing).

In this group I don't really care enough for the others relative to "Coming Home", so it will have to be a single vote - I would hate to provide votes to a less than stellar solo that will beat out one of my favourites later... "The Talisman", for example, has a solo/breakdown section that works well in the song, but it's only the expectation of the upcoming verse that makes it worthwile - it does not really provide a satisfying resolution of its own, and it's therefore not really something that works in isolation.

Coming Home and The Clansman, for sure.

I love the drama of the Talisman solo within the context of the song, but it doesn't work as well when isolated.

Hey Forostar! I voted for a NON-Adrian solo lol. Can I give you some advice? If you want non-partisan voting, then group your solos in groups of 4 with the SAME artist. For example, next group of solos all Dave or all Janick etc, that way we all have no choice but to choose one from the same person. When you mix all 4 guitarists you run into trouble. Adrian is gonna win anyway but.........

Hey Forostar! I voted for a NON-Adrian solo lol. Can I give you some advice? If you want non-partisan voting, then group your solos in groups of 4 with the SAME artist. For example, next group of solos all Dave or all Janick etc, that way we all have no choice but to choose one from the same person. When you mix all 4 guitarists you run into trouble. Adrian is gonna win anyway but.........
Oops did I say all four guitarists? Lol. Maybe we can get Roy Z in the band HaHa

Cheers! Thanks for the advice but I couldn't do that (and I didn't want to per se as well). I estimated the most popular solos and tried to spread them evenly over the groups. When I am making combinations, the guitarists get more mixed. I have some groups with 3 solos of each but not 4 I believe.

And indeed, Dave and Janick have won rounds and I expect this can happen more often.

And don't forget: eventually 32 non-group winners will also advance to round 2 (via round 1B ).

Last edited:
The problem is with your voting mindset not Foro's game format. You've practically admitted (apart from this one exceptional time) that you're a partisan voter. What's the point in your participation in this game if your mind is already entirely made up?

Talisman and coming home, but clansman is really nice as well.
I just felt that talisman is the solo I would listen to most times on it's own, for some reason. And coming home is so beautifully melodic.

Back