Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You have a valid point.
Apologies, that was pretty snippy there.

Look, I'm a huge Davey fan; but I'm not uncritical of him as a guitarist &/or songwriter. And, head-to-head, Adrian can certainly whip his ass in a contest of solos; I've voted for H (over Dave) in several rounds, even when the Davey one was one I thought I quite liked. I have my favourites for both, or course; but both have leads that aren't particularly impressive. Ditto all this for Janick.

One thing that Foro didn't want voters to do in this game was to vote for songs (song-bias) &/or vote for guitarists (guitarist-bias); but to judge the solos/leads purely on their own merits. It was always going to be difficult; it's hard to ignore the player & the song context. Still, you've got to try; I think that's all he asks of you here.

The Talisman is a perfect example of a solo that doesn't work out of context. In context of the song, it's totally cinematic and perfect. One of the best moments of that song. By itself it's a bit of a mess of noises.

Also, this was by far the hardest round for me. I love that Still Life solo and it pains me to vote against it, but that Clansman solo is just too good.

Am I the only one who finds The Clansman solo clearly better than the others? Maybe I am the only one who wants it to survive and have it in the 2nd round (immediately), but most of you who like it seem to also vote for another (perhaps even lesser?) solo. Like this, we're playing a game with it, and can only hope we're getting it further people. (I am addressing people who find The Clansman solo the best, if there are any ;-)

Coming Home and The Talisman! Coming Home - beautiful solo, I'm just a big fan of Adrian's playing, so he usually wins for me in this tournament. The Talisman doesn't really feel like a solo, but to me it's an advantage. I like these atmospheric sounds. To me it kind of feels like being carried by waves, which fits the song perfectly. I would even choose The Talisman if one vote was allowed, because that solo is trying something new and is not just a guitarist's stunt, but a song-building device. Sorry, it's not fair to disregard context in this particular case, in my opinion.

Am I the only one who finds The Clansman solo clearly better than the others? Maybe I am the only one who wants it to survive and have it in the 2nd round (immediately), but most of you who like it seem to also vote for another (perhaps even lesser?) solo. Like this, we're playing a game with it, and can only hope we're getting it further people. (I am addressing people who find The Clansman solo the best, if there are any ;-)

The Clansman solo is the best in this group.

Still Life (knocks your socks right off) and The Talisman (the solo alone can take you there; that is, the solo itself has the emotion the song has) for me...

But I must admit that The Clansman comes very, very close and Coming Home would win some other round, some other place, as far as I'm concerned. So, this round has been the toughest for me so far, I think.

I don't hear anything particularly memorable in the Clansman solo. It sounds like a pretty average Janick solo to me. He's done much better ones.

Last edited:
Wow, I actually prefer Janick's solo in The Talisman when it stands alone from the song itself. It's very abstract...full of slow bends, sliding, use of the whammy bar and ending with a fairly somber melody.

It's my favourite in this round. I also voted for Coming Home because it deserves to advance too.

The Unbeliever and Blood Brothers! The Unbeliever is just fantastic, he played with that rhythm so well. Makes me wanna go and revisit Janick's work on TXF right now. Initially I wanted to vote for WED as my second choice, because of how crazy sounding mess it is (in the positive sense), but it would be so stupid to choose it over Blood Brothers... That one is a perfect display of Dave's skills. A very interesting and technically detailed solo.

By the way, are we allowed to vote for one solo if it's clearly our favourite and we don't want to support its rivals?

Back