Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SW hits a couple of beautiful notes, but overall it's not a sophisticated solo. I find RotAM more exciting.

Strange World is something special. This is probably the best solo from the first album, and a top 10 Dave solo for sure.

Regardless, how crazy/awesome would it be for a Stratton solo to win the tournament!

I'll still reinforce the fact that my original thoughts haven't changed; I still find this to be a very underrated solo, and I prefer it to Rime, no matter who performed it. :p

Last edited:
It is indeed the other way around. The second is by Dave. See also this discussion, you are not the only one who thought the first is by Dave.
Foro, I've seen some of the discussion on this & at no point do I see any mention of the fact that both solo sections (because this is what I hear) do not sound like one recording take on the remastered release. Additionally, & I know this has been discussed somewhere before (but I can't find it), but on the Soundhouse Tapes is the second solo definitely played by Dave? Officially he was the only guitarist on the recording, but (as I'm sure has been mentioned before) it's so uncharacteristic of his playing, even when you look past the cleaner tone (which I assume, so the story goes, was to differentiate it from the first solo in SW). To me this is important as it muddies the water a little in respect to what solo Dave had always played, or what one Adrian went on the play, etc.

Maybe not definitely indeed Cried. There was a second player present but I am not aware of any of his solos. It is pretty much accepted (even if never officially stated) that Paul Cairns has also recorded in the Soundhouse. Haven't heard it in a while. I'll check.

Yeah, it sounds somewhat different for Dave. I'd believe Paul Cairns if he said that he played it.

Last edited:
Back