Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The miss works for the song, but that's not a strong enough factor to allow a miss onto the record. I'd rather the notes be correct but played chaotically than the actual notes to be chaotic.

Blood Brothers. I generally prefer Janick's melodic side over his frantic, and when it fits the song like it does in BB, we have a great match.

Time for an epitaph, then.

I do not agree with the hype. In general I also like Janick's melodic side a lot. Although I see how his Blood Brothers solo fits the bombast and intensity of this particular part of the song (it enforces the intensity), I also see that it repeats a figure pretty often. On top of that, its main core is also a copy of a vocal melody.

I find it sad to see the Ghost solo gone. My one but favourite Gers solo of this century. Much more adventurous, without being less intense. It adds another layer of intensity. Its sharp and moving tones pierce straight through the heart. It is a rare combination of aggression and beauty. Often he did one of the two, but here it is a perfect combination.

Last edited:
Time for an epitaph, then.

I do not agree with the hype. In general I also like Janick's melodic side a lot. Although I see how his Blood Brothers solo fits the bombast and intensity of this particular part of the song (it enforces the intensity), I also see that it repeats a figure pretty often. On top of that, its main core is also a copy of a vocal melody.

I find it sad to see the Ghost solo gone. My one but favourite Gers solo of this century. Much more adventurous, without being less intense. It adds another layer of intensity. Its sharp and moving tones pierce straight through the heart. It is a rare combination of aggression and beauty. Often he did one of the two, but here it is a perfect combination.[/QUO

IMHO Janick's best guitar work is on Tattooed Millionaire, especially on Son of a Gun where he is CLEARLY channeling David Gilmore on the solo and the fills at the end of the song. Great tone from him on that whole album. He is clearly a great guitarist at his base. I dont understand why he became so "eccentric" and sloppy later on with Maiden.

Well, he just has different colours to throw out. Speaking of non-Maiden, not sure if you know them but check this wonderful work from the early eighties:

Last edited:
Forostar, Don't forget "Long Lost Wisdom" from the demo recorded in 1981! Propably his best solo ever. And it is not even on youtube...I have to upload it myself sometime.

I have to admit I had a bit of hard time telling Janick from Dave on early albums. Maybe he felt inclined to explore his chaotic side more, and moved on to that style, especially when H returned. In that sense, BB solo could be called "regressing" (although it's immaculately executed and I love it)

Forostar, Don't forget "Long Lost Wisdom" from the demo recorded in 1981! Propably his best solo ever. And it is not even on youtube...I have to upload it myself sometime.
Wow, you know, I've been thinking about doing the same for years! Also today even. I still can't believe no one has ever done it. Long Lost Wisdom feels like Fool for the Gods part II.

(NOTE: If this game is new for you, and if you would like to participate, please check the opening post of this thread, before you vote)

Result of round 3, 4th battle: Janick Gers' Ghost of the Navigator solo (080) is eliminated. 084 advances to the 4th round.

Round 3: 5th battle:

Back