Top 5 Metal Vocalists of all Time

Ah OK, read that wrong. My brain stops working right when it starts to get late. Like when I posted that.

Yes I agree, I would have no idea where to rank Steven Tyler.

I'm sure Steven Tyler and Freddie Mercury would sound awesome in a metal band.

Btw. CI you should come back to chat:cheers:

Top 5 metal vocalists:

1.Rob Halford
2.Bruce Dickinson
3.Ozzy Osbourne(peak years 1970-1976)
4.Dio
5.Ian Gillan

honorable mentions: Klaus Meine, Biff Byford , Guy Speranza(Riot), Jon Oliva(Savatage),

Top 5 metal frontmen:

1.Ozzy Osbourne
2.James Hetfield
3.Rob Halford
4.Bruce Dickinson
5.Lemmy

Last edited:
This is always a hard choice but here's my list:

1. Ronnie James Dio
2. Bruce Dickinson
3. Rob Halford
4. Ozzy Osbourne
5. Tom Araya

Honorable mentions to Peter Steele, Dave Mustaine, Klaus Meine, and James Hetfield

And as for me, I don't see any point in giving special prominence to metal vocalists/frontmen among all other rock singers.
The best male vocalists for me are Bruce and Gillan, and the best frontmen are Bruce (again) and the Page/Plant duo. All others don't hold a candle to them, imho.

1. Bruce Dickenson - One of the greatest heavy metal vocalists next to Rob Halford
2. Carl McCoy - An awesome goth rock singer
3. Ann Wilson - For me the all time greatest female rock singers next to Stevie Nicks, Lita Ford and Lee Aaron
4.Phil Lynott - One of De best heavy rock/metal bands from Ireland period
5. Nick Holmes - The voice of true Goth Metal along with Pete Steele

1. Bruce Dickinson
2. Ronnie James Dio
3. Rob Halford (Tim Owens and Ralf Scheepers were a good set of finalists to choose from to replace him by the way)

They cannot be dethroned I guess. Ozzy is in a category of his own, so is Lemmy Kilmister.

As far as better singers than these two are concerned, Whitfield Crane is worthy of the best, but logically underrated due to the short-lived success and lighter style of Ugly Kid Joe (which is seldom associated to "metal").

Andi Deris is great too but his style is polarizing (especially when compared to Kiske's) and he has known years when he was not so good live... still, try and sing like him for 1h30! ;)

If one considers how good a singer used to be -even if it lasted much too little- I would cite André Matos and one I am amazed not to have seen appearing in this thread so far: Sebastian Bach.

Doing Metal and Hard Rock in one list, no particular order:
Myles Kennedy
Dio
Bruce Dickinson
Klaus Meine
Axl Rose

Honourable Mentions
Robert Plant
Bon Scott
Freddie Mercury
Steven Tyler

Honestly all 9 of the above are unreal singers although I've only been able to see two of them live

The Big 4 of metal singers are definitely Bruce, Dio, Halford, and King Diamond.

Personal favorites? Bruce and Diamond, still, plus Chuck Schuldiner, Daniel Droste, and Joakim Broden. I think that's pretty satisfactory.

Remember, personal favorites. ;)

Geoff Tate when he could still sing is a good one too.

Bruce Dickenson is far better than Kennedy, who can't sing at all because he's been murdered.

Back