Top 5 Metal Vocalists of all Time

1. BRUCE DICKINSON

2. ZP Theart

3. Rob Halford and Dio, just can't seem to distance to two.

4. Biff Byford

5. Axl Rose

This list may not stay the same for long, but one thing's for sure, Dickinson ain't fucking moving :rocker:

1. BRUCE DICKINSON

2. ZP Theart

3. Rob Halford and Dio, just can't seem to distance to two.

4. Biff Byford

5. Axl Rose

This list may not stay the same for long, but one thing's for sure, Dickinson ain't fucking moving :rocker:

Axl Rose? Well, to each his own. I like G'n'R, but I don't think Axl Rose is a great vocalist. My top three are tied for first:

1. Halford
1. Bruce
1. Dio

Other vocalists I think are great include Tate, Kiske, Barlow, Åkerfeldt, but I don't feel qualified to rank them.

Outside what is normally considered metal, my vote would go to Ian Gillan.

What is really cool about Dio is he was a great singer in three genres. Rock 'n' Roll with Elf, Hard Rock with Rainbow and finally Metal with Black Sabbath and his solo work. Few, if any artist can say that.

Mwah I never thought there was a clear difference between hard rock and metal. His work with Sabbath could also be seen as hard rock. So, not a big deal imo. Just different labels for the same thing. Now if he could sing Jazz or Reggae, that would be something. :)

i agree about that on Axl Rose.

I would choose Bruce, Dio, Halford, Kiske... and i couldn't find a 5th place.

AH! got it:
right here:
:)

Maybe, but I don't really like his voice. I also don't see the diversity. I think he sounds pretty much the same in ballads (November Rain, Don't Cry) as in straight out hard rock songs like Paradise City, Sweet Child O'Mine and the likes.

If you want to hear diversity, listen to Victim of Changes. Halford goes through edgy rock'n'roll singing, high-pitched screams, calm and emotional singing (the "changes" part) and rough screaming. That's diversity.

To sum it up, I think Axl isn't even in the same division as Halford. I still enjoy listening to G'n'R and his voice fits their style, but I do definitely not rate him as one of the greatest.

To be honest, I think Halford, actually Judas Priest as a whole are a little overrated, they're one of the favourite bands don't get me wrong, but they do make a lot of crap music.

Anyway, Halford, in my opinion, isn't really special when it comes to singing softly or emotively and his live performances aren't up too par with some of his studio recordings, but boy oh boy can he rip a scream!

Mine:

Dio
Bruce = Halford
Blackie Lawless.
Klaus Meine

Bruce/Halford... They both have a lot of versatility, and both have a lot of power. There are many things that I just could not see Bruce singing that Halford has, and vice versa - Such as I could never hear Halford doing anything with the variation of Jerusalem, but Bruce doing Painkiller would be an equally unlikley thought for me. I don't think either is "better". Dio is the same in this regard but, maybe just because I'm on a Dio kick lately I don't know, there's something about his voice. All three are close and all are fantastic at 'brutal' metal aswell as some fantastically beautiful ballads.

Blackie, well he can do some really heartfelt and really heavy stuff, and is another one capable of great screams like Halford but I place him 4th on my list because I think he's a bit less diverse. Sure he has a great range of styles and I love them all but there are things I CAN imagine Bruce/Halford doing and not Blackie.

Klaus has a fantastic voice but doesn't suit the heavier stuff so well so he comes down the lower of the 5 for me.

Other notables imho include Alice Cooper, Tim Owens, Axl (As above posters have said, many different voices to him none of which I really deem metal or as strong as Dio/Bruce/Halford but I still love the voice) and in the same manner as Ozzy - Dave Mustaine and Lemmy. They may not be amazing 'singers', but their vocals sure fit the music.

In "General" vocalists, Freddie is ofc attached to the top of the list, and then I have a real shitstorm as I try to work out where I would place people like Steve Tyler.

Steven Tyler is hard rock. Aerosmith never really went into metal, although they are certainly pioneers of glam metal.

I also never saw Axl/GNR as metal. It's heavy but it always came off as a throwback to 70's hard rock, like Aerosmith.

I don't see either Queen, GnR or Aerosmith as Metal. Note I said "In General Vocalists" meaning, if we expand to best vocalists overall ;)

Damned forum sending me emails every time someone responds... gotta go change that... >.>

Right, but you also mentioned "having a shitstorm" on categorizing Steven Tyler, which makes sense, he's done some different stuff over the year, but yea Hard Rock.

Yea out of those 3 bands, Queen is by far the least metal. They've had a small brush with metal but overall it's not. Such a diverse band though.

Right, but you also mentioned "having a shitstorm" on categorizing Steven Tyler, which makes sense, he's done some different stuff over the year, but yea Hard Rock.

I meant in the way that if I was to try and list my top vocalists of ALL genres... what # would I put Steve Tyler at? Metal is my preference and so those vocalists would still rank at the top.. but Steven Tyler (and similar) deserve a decent place in my list and so I would have a hard time working out where [in my list] to place him. Not where as in Genre... if the list was 'General' vocalists, why would his genre placement matter ^^

I said placing, as in placing in list... it was even preceeded by stating Mercury would be at the top of my list... so I don't know why you think I mean how would I categorize him :/

Ah OK, read that wrong. My brain stops working right when it starts to get late. Like when I posted that.

Yes I agree, I would have no idea where to rank Steven Tyler.

Back