Top 5 Metal Vocalists of all Time

Dan

"Time Will Heal, Time Will Kill" MF
1) Freddie Mercury ( I know rock not metal in some opinions) Anything he sang was golden...Stone Cold Crazy There has never been a better front man period!

2) Bruce Dickenson Amazing stage presence and great vocals better than guys half is age

3) Dio Best power metal vocaslist of all time hands down

4) King Diamond a true pioneer with a range Halford has admitted he can't touch

5) Halford Painkiller anything else need to be said?

Best metal vocalist? Bruce Dickinson by some distance.

Mercury was never metal but he was a fantastic singer, probably the best ever.

I have just three, and those are Bruce, Dio and Rob. And even though Freddie is one of the bestest eva', he's no metal vocalist.

This list again? hmm, I'd like to spice things up a tad. From "the old guard" I'd say Bruce, Dio, Kiske, Halford and for the sake of uniqueness, Ozzy. We all know he can't sing worth for shit, but in Metal more often than not is not about being able to sing, but HOW you sing it (see Death Metal for reference).

Of more recent bands... I really like Jorn Lande of Masterplan, Edu Falaschi of Angra, Jonny Lindqvist from Nocturnal Rites and Mikael Åkerfeldt or Opeth.

freddie is debatable....Queen does have some crededentials for the metal community.....(few not many) as for the newer bands I do agree with Opeth great vocals. I like Phile Labonte from All That Remains. I can't put Bruce to far ahead of Dio .. A distance in front of Halford yes. But hell I think the King almost beats out Bruce.

That Queen has one or two "metal" songs does not make him a Metal singer. It makes him a versatile singer. Queen was clearly Rock 'n' Roll. You are asking for greatest "Metal" singers, not greatest singers. That excludes him. If you were to say rock/hard rock/metal, than yes. If that's what you meant that is not what you said.

I see your point ...on the flipside Priest did Turbo Pantera did glam rock and Metallica just did an album with Lou Reed. Are they not considered metal? Queen could have dominated metal instead dabbled in everything. I'm not a Queen fan but there few songs in metal were amazing. Rush is considered Prog rock I ask you to listen to Working Man and tell me there is no metal in that tune. I am just playing devils advocate here. Zepplin does not want the label of metal but you can't say there early catalauge did not help define metal, Queen and Rush are in that same boat.

The majority of the work of those three bands can be comfortably catagorized as metal, though. Inversely, Queen's great majority of work is rock. Great rock - the greatest rock, possibly - but irrevokably rock. Freddie was a rock vocalist who did a bit of metal, just like Geddy Lee is a prog vocalist who did a bit of metal - like Bruce Dickinson is a metal vocalist who did some hard rock...and some soft rock...and whatever the hell Skunkworks is.

...Zepplin does not want the label of metal but you can't say there early catalauge did not help define metal, Queen and Rush are in that same boat.

Very true, but a lot of genres helped shape metal, including Punk. Zep was Hard Rock, like Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, etc. People have retrospectively have called them "Metal," some have not given a shit, others, like Zep, reject it. I like where this discussion is going. I'm waiting for Perun's post of "Labeling crap is stupid for this very reason," post :p

You are absolutley correct liked the comment about skunkworks....I am still trying to figure out what the hell that was. Out of all Bruce's solo efforts which in your opinion is the the best? Thanks Dan

I would call Skunkworks alternative rock. Maybe even grunge in some places.

I will avoid the "metal" of the thread and answer it as though it is "Top 5 Vocalists of All Time" :

1. Bruce Dickinson
2. Rob Halford
3. Ronnie James Dio
4. Freddie Mercury
5. Michael Kiske

What Iron Maiden album do you think shown the best offering of Bruce's vocal style?

You are absolutley correct liked the comment about skunkworks....I am still trying to figure out what the hell that was. Out of all Bruce's solo efforts which in your opinion is the the best? Thanks Dan

The Chemical Wedding as an overall album is extremely good (perhaps one of the best metal albums of all time). However, for me, it has always required a bit of a special mood to get into properly. More easily accessible albums are Accident of Birth and Tyranny of Souls.

Back