Tool

I think I mentioned before in this thread how I was trying to get into Tool, sort of. I liked Undertow well enough when it was new because I was a teenager when it came out and it had some good stuff and I also liked Bill Hicks. However, whenever I try to listen to them now, I can't get over how samey everything is by them. This is a hard criticism for me to pin down, because I listen to plenty of bands where this complaint can be given, Iron Maiden among them. But something about Tool's sound is just so damn specific that I feel like once you've heard one or two of their better songs, that's kinda it. Mastodon is probably the most contemporary comparison I can make. I adore Mastodon, all of their albums. They all have the same ingredients, but they all sound so completely different from one another, and there's a lot of stuff going on. This is a little frustrating because I can clearly hear that Tool has an amazing pool of talent, but they also have such a damn narrow scope. I feel the same in general about Opeth, if it matters.

I think I mentioned before in this thread how I was trying to get into Tool, sort of. I liked Undertow well enough when it was new because I was a teenager when it came out and it had some good stuff and I also liked Bill Hicks. However, whenever I try to listen to them now, I can't get over how samey everything is by them. This is a hard criticism for me to pin down, because I listen to plenty of bands where this complaint can be given, Iron Maiden among them. But something about Tool's sound is just so damn specific that I feel like once you've heard one or two of their better songs, that's kinda it. Mastodon is probably the most contemporary comparison I can make. I adore Mastodon, all of their albums. They all have the same ingredients, but they all sound so completely different from one another, and there's a lot of stuff going on. This is a little frustrating because I can clearly hear that Tool has an amazing pool of talent, but they also have such a damn narrow scope. I feel the same in general about Opeth, if it matters.
I disagree quite a bit. I do understand the premise that they can sound the same. But through repeated listens I find that all of the albums differ greatly. You can hear it in the lyrical themes and even in the songs themselves. I find that each song has a unique purpose on each record and therefore when I listen to Tool I often find myself listening to one album at a time in full. Ex: Stinkfist could never have been on Lateralus, the albums are so different thematically that it doesn’t fit in the slightest.

I do agree with you about Mastodon though.

Caught the Chicago show last night- the new stage setup / production is incredible, the best they’ve ever had! A little disappointed in the relative lack of FI tunes- the set was almost identical to Chicago Open Air with a couple additions. However, it was great to hear Intolerance (first time for me!) even at the sacrifice of Descending.

EDIT: forgot to add that Pneuma live is a quasi-religious experience. Holy crap. I think it may have taken the top spot on new song rankings for me.

Danny Carey has also reaffirmed his the greatest living drummer on the planet. And this is coming from a die-hard Nicko fan!

@MrKnickerbocker and I also saw the Chicago show, and although we were off to the side (stage right) and some of the video show was lost on us, it was a great experience.

I mostly enjoyed their song choices, although I would have preferred them to drop Intolerance and maybe Jambi (a song that really never clicked with me) for Descending. Highlights for me were The Pot, Parabola, Pneuma, and Forty-Six & 2. Vicarious is one of my favorite Tool songs, although Maynard’s performance on it was quite weak (he sang through a filter the whole time). In general, while the musicians were on point (especially Danny), Maynard did not really impress me. The songs were very tight, however, which made up for it.

I was also a bit underwhelmed by the encores. The drum solo could have been replaced with an actual song (e.g. The Grudge, The Patient, Lateralus, etc.), and while I think Invincible is a solid track, it doesn’t hold a candle to Descending. I also understand why they played Stinkfist, but it’s one I could have lived without.

I had a few complaints, but overall it was a great show. I’d like to see them play more songs from Fear Inoculum when they return!

I completely agree about the encore - it was the low point of the night. First of all, they didn't do a traditional encore so much as have a full blown 10-15 minute intermission, only to come back and play 20-25 mins of music. Very silly.

I like Invincible quite a bit, but Stinkfist was/is pretty boring and the drum solo was incredibly stupid (after the gong part, anyway).

@MrKnickerbocker and I also saw the Chicago show, and although we were off to the side (stage right) and some of the video show was lost on us, it was a great experience.

I mostly enjoyed their song choices, although I would have preferred them to drop Intolerance and maybe Jambi (a song that really never clicked with me) for Descending. Highlights for me were The Pot, Parabola, Pneuma, and Forty-Six & 2. Vicarious is one of my favorite Tool songs, although Maynard’s performance on it was quite weak (he sang through a filter the whole time). In general, while the musicians were on point (especially Danny), Maynard did not really impress me. The songs were very tight, however, which made up for it.

I was also a bit underwhelmed by the encores. The drum solo could have been replaced with an actual song (e.g. The Grudge, The Patient, Lateralus, etc.), and while I think Invincible is a solid track, it doesn’t hold a candle to Descending. I also understand why they played Stinkfist, but it’s one I could have lived without.

I had a few complaints, but overall it was a great show. I’d like to see them play more songs from Fear Inoculum when they return!
Agreed on Stinkfist - I also think it's time they retire 46&2 as well, it's rapidly becoming the FOTD of their set. I'll never get bored watching Danny solo though! o_O

Agreed on Stinkfist - I also think it's time they retire 46&2 as well, it's rapidly becoming the FOTD of their set. I'll never get bored watching Danny solo though! o_O

I loved 46&2! This was my first Tool show, so I can't really complain about the "overplayed" songs.

Danny is an absolutely incredible drummer, but his skills last night were far more apparent during the actual songs than during Chocolate Chip Trip. After the gong part he just spent 3 minutes turning knobs on a sound board so that he could play along to a pre-recorded track. A massively boring waste of time.

I loved 46&2! This was my first Tool show, so I can't really complain about the "overplayed" songs.

Danny is an absolutely incredible drummer, but his skills last night were far more apparent during the actual songs than during Chocolate Chip Trip. After the gong part he just spent 3 minutes turning knobs on a sound board so that he could play along to a pre-recorded track. A massively boring waste of time.
It wasn't a pre-recorded track - he has a huge bank of modular synthesizers and generates a new sequence/loop every night during the solo before he sits down at the kit!

It wasn't a pre-recorded track - he has a huge bank of modular synthesizers and generates a new sequence/loop every night during the solo before he sits down at the kit!

Hmm. Impressive, but unentertaining. Honestly, I can say that about 50% of Tool’s show. I had a great time and they are powerhouse musicians (mostly drums) but they are neither engaging or interesting to watch (except for Danny).

Personally I would rather see them retire Schism and Vicarious for some new songs. Both songs aren’t as good as the rest live. I’m glad to hear that the new songs are meeting expectations live.

Lateralus needs to come back to the setlist. They haven’t played it in awhile.

Personally I would rather see them retire Schism and Vicarious for some new songs. Both songs aren’t as good as the rest live. I’m glad to hear that the new songs are meeting expectations live.

Lateralus needs to come back to the setlist. They haven’t played it in awhile.
Totally with you - Lateralus needs to be brought back. I love Schism, but there are way too many long-unplayed tunes that deserve another airing. I was super happy they threw The Grudge, Third Eye, and Sweat into the set at 2017 Chicago gig! They need to do more of that.

Totally with you - Lateralus needs to be brought back. I love Schism, but there are way too many long-unplayed tunes that deserve another airing. I was super happy they threw The Grudge, Third Eye, and Sweat into the set at 2017 Chicago gig! They need to do more of that.
I will agree with you. Those songs were awesome live. Third Eye was a masterpiece!

January 10 - San Diego, CA @ Viejas Arena
January 12 - San Diego, CA @ Viejas Arena
January 15 - Fresno, CA @ Save Mart Center
January 17 - Las Vegas, NV @ T-Mobile Arena
January 18 - Glendale, AZ @ Gila River Arena
January 21 - Austin, TX @ Frank Erwin Center
January 22 - Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Arena
January 28 - Atlanta, GA @ State Farm Arena
January 29 - Nashville, TN B@ ridgestone Arena
January 31 - Memphis, TN @ FedEx Forum
February 01 - New Orleans, LA @ Smoothie King Center

Good news for @Collin!

January 10 - San Diego, CA @ Viejas Arena
January 12 - San Diego, CA @ Viejas Arena
January 15 - Fresno, CA @ Save Mart Center
January 17 - Las Vegas, NV @ T-Mobile Arena
January 18 - Glendale, AZ @ Gila River Arena
January 21 - Austin, TX @ Frank Erwin Center
January 22 - Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Arena
January 28 - Atlanta, GA @ State Farm Arena
January 29 - Nashville, TN B@ ridgestone Arena
January 31 - Memphis, TN @ FedEx Forum
February 01 - New Orleans, LA @ Smoothie King Center

Good news for @Collin!
Collin will be going for sure.

Tool lameness level just went up an exponent.
I've seen them at an open air festival with standing general admission and it added absolutely nothing to the experience except being wayyyy to crowded for comfort. Their music is so trippy and complex it's not a mosh-along or fist pumping kind of vibe. At the indoor shows, everyone still stands but at least the seats allow you to relax and take in the whole visual+auditory spectacle without having your personal space invaded.

Back