Tool

Does anybody like them? They're one of my favorite bands and, until a few months ago, the only metal band I really liked apart from Metallica and Pantera. I like how they mix prog and metal with Middle Eastern atmospheres and psychedelic sounds (and a touch of electronica, too) My favorite album is 1996's Aenima, which is probably their angriest, darkest record. Musical qualities aside, I like their emotional, cryptic take on metal, and their lyrics are very poetic though also harsh. This is Pushit from Aenima:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UokTE-njLRA
 

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
Tool is one of those bands I loved as a teen. Then when I grew up... they didn't. The ONLY album I'll still touch is Lateralus, fucking epic. On occasion some tracks from Aenima, but their earlier stuff (Undertow and Opiate) I can't stand anymore except for exactly 3 tracks (Opiate, Sober and Prison Sex.)

10,000 days is still sinking in. I love them musically, but I can't stand Keenan's lyrics. He is the master of saying a lot and nothing all at once. Aside from their wonderful musical arrangements, I LOVE their videos. Talk about trippy...
 

Groteskfull

Supervillain
Funny... I've been into Tool for a number of years now but I never liked them growing up. Haven't listened to Opiate yet, but I enjoy all of their other albums, don't know if I can pick a favourite amongst those. Overall I find Tool to be a decent band and pretty creative at times with the interplay of instruments in their music, although some songs can be a bit droning/boring.

Never been too concerned about imagery and such, but I really dig how the band never/barely adorn their albums with any pictures of themselves.
 

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
Groteskfull said:
Never been too concerned about imagery and such, but I really dig how the band never/barely adorn their albums with any pictures of themselves.
I've liked that about them too as well as how their videos are CGI (I believe done by the bassist who does CGI animation for hollywood features). I don't think it is THAT important anymore as MTV doesn't seem to bother with music videos as much, but when they started it was quite the statement.
 
Onhell said:
I've liked that about them too as well as how their videos are CGI (I believe done by the bassist who does CGI animation for hollywood features). I don't think it is THAT important anymore as MTV doesn't seem to bother with music videos as much, but when they started it was quite the statement.
Actually Adam Jones, their guitar player, is the one who oversees both artworks and CGI animations. Videos have gotten crazier and weirder through the years, so you're right, it's not as "shocking" like it used to be.

Groteskfull said:
Funny... I've been into Tool for a number of years now but I never liked them growing up. Haven't listened to Opiate yet, but I enjoy all of their other albums, don't know if I can pick a favourite amongst those. Overall I find Tool to be a decent band and pretty creative at times with the interplay of instruments in their music, although some songs can be a bit droning/boring.

Never been too concerned about imagery and such, but I really dig how the band never/barely adorn their albums with any pictures of themselves.
Opiate is quite different from their later albums, much less prog-oriented, more clearly influenced by hard rock and speed metal (they're hardly Metallica, though, as far as speed and technical proficiency are concerned, even though they were already showing quite a bit of creativity and "weirdness", both musically and lyrically, not to mention the artwork)
 

Mosh

The years just pass like trains
Staff member
Saw that. So stupid, have Tool reached the point where it's big news if there's word of a single riff?
 

Edington

Let's Get Volatile
Innocent until proven guilty, I say. I don't mean to be skeptical about such a serious crime, but in this day and age there are too many stories coming out about sexual assault with no real evidence behind them. I won't just blindly take someone's word for it.

Now, if it is true, he deserves the punishment, but it seems a little fishy to me. She skips out the city where it occurred to "protect herself"...or, is it to prevent anyone else at the show contradicting this story?
 

Collin

New Tool is coming!
It's quite unlikely that this will go anywhere. It happened 17 years ago and from what it sounded like there were no witnesses and there is no physical evidence. As shitty as it sounds, it's her word against his.

I agree with Black Wizard, this stuff needs to be reported to the proper authorities, not twitter.
 

LooseCannon

Yorktown-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
Yeah....I don't know. Sexual assault is a tough thing for people to report under the best circumstances, and it's not like it ever occurs under the best circumstances. When I see someone accused of sexual assault like this, I wait for the pattern to emerge. If no pattern shows up, then I find it tough to believe the accusation to the point of discrediting the accused. But when a bunch of accusations come out of the woodwork (see Spacey, Kevin; Weinstein, Harvey), it's a pretty good sign.
 

Collin

New Tool is coming!
Tool has announced a 2019 European Tour for those interested... I don't think they've been to Europe in quite some time.

June 2 - Berlin, Germany
June 4 - Prague, Czech Republic
June 5 - Vienna, Austria
June 7 - Nurburg, Germany
June 9 - Nuremburg, Germany
June 11 - Krakow, Poland
June 13 - Florence, Italy
June 16 - Donington, UK
June 18 - Amsterdam, Netherlands
June 20 - Copenhagen, Denmark
June 25 - Zurich, Switzerland
June 30 - Madrid, Spain
July 2 - Lisbon, Portugal
 

Edington

Let's Get Volatile
I'll believe it when I've got the CD in my hands. First, I need to brush up on the rest of their albums...
 
Top