Tool

I bet they’ll end up playing all of them. They do alternate sets so it would make sense to assume that.
If I had to bet I would guess their typical setlist will be something similar to:
Fear Inoculum
Pneuma
Descending
7empest
Vicarious
Schism
Parabola
Lateralus
Stinkfist
AEnima

I think it's not the best of analogies.
DT's prog metal is more in the vein of what Fates Warning paved mixed with some early prog influences (Rush comes almost immediatly to my mind). of course unusual time signatures in rock are a trait in both in Tool and DT. But while DT are more into shredding/virtuoso and workshop like compositions where structures get lose into a myriad of solos and bridges just to converge again in a unissunous build, Tool are way tighter. Normally the structure remains way more static with a crapload of details and variations being added until finnaly the passage hits its zenith (a la Ravel's Bolero) and only then they move on.
As for Mastodon it's not that long of a stretch but the only blatant connection I see is Crack The Skye, where the guys (unfortunatelly IMO) changed a tad bit their sound from their first 3 albums (remain my favorites by far) to a lighter ssound and a more psychadelic /prog like structure. Those traits were kinda dropped in the following albums (with the exception of the more accessible sound)
Now Neurosis has that Ravel's Bolero like effect, but that's where simmilarities stops. While the majority of Tool's compositions always have at least a light at the end of the tunnel Neurosis is claustrophobic and neurotic (duh) as hell. There's no air to breathe and the ever growing repetitions instead of pulling you up are a spiral of adding layers to intoxicate you more and more. Besides that the time signatures are way more conventional. Neurosis adopted the Sludge genre created by bands such as Crowbar and EyeHateGod who had a Hard Core side into it (notice that the first two Neurosis albums are also hard core) and, in Souls At Zero, stripped it of that element, slowed down the tempo considerably and composed a sound even more oppressive, opening the doors of what many people call Post-Metal (don't like the label but it is what it is) and bands such as Cult Of Luna, Rosetta or Year Of No Light.

So here are the main bands/pivotal albums the band stated that influenced their sound. And if you mix it up together I think it's a fair portrait:
King Crimson (check Red)
Black Sabbath (but then again didn't these guys influenced everything that has heavy guitars?)
Faith No More (Blatant! That alterno-metal vibe... just check Angel Dust)
The Melvins (Although not being Sludge - way lighter - these guys paved the way to acts like Crowbar. If you want to trace a comparisson between The Melvins and Neurosis it's kinda like what the song Black Sabbath is to Cathedral's Forest Of Equilibrium in Doom Metal. Buzz is a massive influence to Adam).
Frederik Thornendal (time signatures and that stacatto touch Lateralus onwards)
Nine Inch Nails (Song crafting and ambiance)
Aphex Twin (Effects and shock factor)

And some state that the more psychadelic vein of early Pink Floyd also played a part (I can see a lot of interstellar Overdrive , Set The Controls To The Heart Of The Sun, Careful With That Axe Eugene, Astronomy Domine and Echoes among others on their compositions)
Crack the Skye is Mastodon’s best by far imo, apart from that great post!

I had to give Fear Inoculum a rest. I fall out of love with it a little more each time I listen to it. The songs are just too long and they don't really go anywhere. At least with the three long songs on Maiden's Book Of Souls there is some variety in there. Even the chorus of The Red And The Black isn't as monotonous as some of these Tool songs.

Complete opposite here. Each time I listen to it I find new details and the compositions seem to grow. BTW the chorus of TRATB and the chorus of the title track are both my favorite moments out of TBOS.
Agree with everything.

Crack the Skye is Mastodon’s best by far imo
Yeah... I know what you mean. In no way do I suggest that Crack The Skye is a bad album (Divinations and The Last Baron are absolutely gorgeous). But during their first 3 records these guys had such peculiar textures, energy and variety in their sound that when CTS came out it kinda turned me off seeing them turning into something more "normal", less unique.

Yeah... I know what you mean. In no way do I suggest that Crack The Skye is a bad album (Divinations and The Last Baron are absolutely gorgeous). But during their first 3 records these guys had such peculiar textures, energy and variety in their sound that when CTS came out it kinda turned me off seeing them turning into something more "normal", less unique.

I know that Leviathan and Blood Mountain are very good, but I never really got into them, probably my mistake.

I had to give Fear Inoculum a rest. I fall out of love with it a little more each time I listen to it. The songs are just too long and they don't really go anywhere. At least with the three long songs on Maiden's Book Of Souls there is some variety in there. Even the chorus of The Red And The Black isn't as monotonous as some of these Tool songs.
“Monotonous” can be great, especially for rhythmical stuff that you don’t understand immediately. And it’s just another form of music if you stay on one chord for a long time; it’s probably more about atmosphere than about “action”.

So now that Fear Inoculum has been out for almost a month, what's everyone's favorites?

I'm having a tough time deciding if I like Descending or 7empest better. The former has powerful, emotive vocals followed by that amazing second half, but the latter is insanely consistent throughout. I'd put Pneuma (probably the most straightforward track) at third.

It took a while for the title track to hit me, but now I love it. There's even a vocal part at the end that reminds me of Opeth. However, I also really dig Culling Voices. It takes a while to build, but it hits you like a sledgehammer when it does.

I suspect that most think Culling Voices is the weakest of the six actual songs, but the only one I can't really feel yet is Invincible. I like the tribal vibe and the chugga-chuggas, but the song never really takes off like the others do.

I really can't tell... All I know is that I loved it since the first audition and even though I listen to it on a daily basis it only gets better and better. Regarding favorite tracks I'm more or less on the same page. Title track, Pneuma, Descending and 7empest are absolute masterpieces (perhaps the one that I prefer the least fom these four is 7empest and that's a damn near perfect tune). Invincible is also a great song. Culling Voices is perhaps my least favorite but great nonetheless.
As far as I'm concerned these dudes made the unthinkable: an album that dethroned Lateralus from #1 at my Tool rank (by a thread but I think it's already safe to say it). Combine that with the fact that in the last days I've been also listening to the monument that is Cult Of Luna's last album (just another one on their catalogue) and it stresses even more how excelent Fear Inoculum sounds to my ears. A Dawn To Fear would be almost a certain winner regarding my album of the year... but this year - thanks to Tool - I seriously doubt it.

Btw this year is being amazing in music:

Judging by the advance tracks both Blut Aus Nord and Opeth new records are going to be something. Devin Townsend's Empath is really good, Mão Morta's latest is also great, Jambinai's Onda is top tier, but the two great records of the year so far IMO are Cult Of Luna's A Dawn To Fear and Tool's Fear Inoculum (with a slight edge to the later). And there are still 3 months and a half left in the year!

Last edited:
I checked out my local rock station's playlist and they played FI, but only 5 minutes later it says they played another song so that means it must be a shitty edited radio version. Considering they play Master Of Puppets at the full length, I thought maybe the same for FI.

I checked out my local rock station's playlist and they played FI, but only 5 minutes later it says they played another song so that means it must be a shitty edited radio version. Considering they play Master Of Puppets at the full length, I thought maybe the same for FI.
I heard the radio version in Spokane. It was like they cut all the instrumental bits out. Maynard is almost just constantly singing throughout the whole song.

Setlist to start the tour. This probably isn't the full set as it was a festival show. Also I'd expect them to probably alternate some songs.

Let’s hope they replace Invincible with Descending, as it is the centerpiece of the new album. I’d also love to hear 7empest and Vicarious, but I’m not holding my breath. Love to see Parabola though!

Holy crap! Drop Part Of Me, Jambi, 46 & 2 and The Pot and add Lateralus, The Grudge, Vicarious and 7empest. Nevertheless still a decent setlist.

Back