Things about Iron Maiden that annoy you

I was feeling the same from 1995 onwards. I was annoyed from his compositions, the way he was interfering to others' songwriting, his co-producing with Kevin, his lazy (imo) approach in songwriting /rehearsals, his reluctance of trying new breakthrough ideas /sounds, the fact that there would always be a composition of his in the set-list and other stuff of this nature. In short, I'd like him to be less boss and more equal with the rest and more daring with his art.

I don't feel annoyed anymore. I am very satisfied with what he delivered in Senjutsu and I'm giving the man a break.

About time if you have been annoyed with him for 25 years!

a thing that annoys me about Maiden is that the only Donington I saw them at in 2003 (and it took me quite a way from Germany to get there) was a really bad gig. honestly. I have seen Maiden now 37 times between 1990 and today, but Donington 2003 was by far the worst Maiden gig I ever witnessed. it suffered alone from a boring setlist itself. as a surprise they knocked out WIldest Dreams as a teaser for their upcoming Dance Of Dead album, and there was some kind of embarrassement to feel among people in the audience, at least among them ones with a lower drinking level at that point of the evening.
and I think I'm not completely alone with this opinion since it may not be a surprise that there is no official Donington 2003 release in any way. to me it seems even Maiden themselves would like to make Donington 2003 forgotten. there is an audio bootleg of poor quality and that's it.

is there anybody out there having seen Maiden more than two times would disagree with me that THIS setlist is stupid???:

a thing that annoys me about Maiden is that the only Donington I saw them at in 2003 (and it took me quite a way from Germany to get there) was a really bad gig. honestly. I have seen Maiden now 37 times between 1990 and today, but Donington 2003 was by far the worst Maiden gig I ever witnessed. it suffered alone from a boring setlist itself. as a surprise they knocked out WIldest Dreams as a teaser for their upcoming Dance Of Dead album, and there was some kind of embarrassement to feel among people in the audience, at least among them ones with a lower drinking level at that point of the evening.
and I think I'm not completely alone with this opinion since it may not be a surprise that there is no official Donington 2003 release in any way. to me it seems even Maiden themselves would like to make Donington 2003 forgotten. there is an audio bootleg of poor quality and that's it.

is there anybody out there having seen Maiden more than two times would disagree with me that THIS setlist is stupid???:

I think that's a pretty good setlist, but the running order could do with a couple of changes.

I saw this show in Paris in 2003. Out of the four times I saw Maiden (2003 GMETID + DoD, 2014, 2019), it is my favourite setlist. ;)

It’s quite decent, Boots, Revelations, Acacia, Wildest, Clairvoyant, Slaughter and all these in 2003.. I would be thrilled !!

Not to mention they started with a beast! :nuts:

For the year, no. They've given a good run for the 'play classics' audience, got some of their more catchy/popular appeal 90s songs in there, got two of their reunion relaunch biggies in there from BNW, and previewed their forthcoming album. That's a decent all-round setlist. These days we have the luxury of a big selection of high quality reunion era Maiden material to choose from.

The order is VERY weird. But there's quite a few songs that don't get played often there so it's good in my book.

Considering it was 2003 and DWYBO, 22AA, and Clairvoyant made their return for the 1st time since the reunion, no.

Also, a new song...

Don't really care about HCW and BYDTTS.

Also it's still the only time they played 22AA since Bruce and H came back.

I am likely in the minority here, but I actually hate it when they open with Aces High. I just feel the start they do with it is so dated. They've done it a thousand times and its stale. Since basically the entire opening is just one big BANG! and its over really fast, that's not something that should be done repetitively. (As a girl, I can attest this applies from a variety of situations ;) ) At least in TNOTB there is a progression that builds up the excitement in the crowd to a crescendo as the band members come in.

And, of course... the wasted Churchill sound byte we all have heard from everywhere all the time in history and school, for thousands of years. +insert long dreary face+ lol It's not the way I'd prefer to start a metal concert. It's not the way I'd prefer to start anything, if I'm honest. For years I've been hoping they would cut that sound byte from it live.

Why not instead have a quote from a squadron captain, and/or just the startup and roar of the Hawker Hurricane's Merlin XXV's? Far more electrifying in my opinion. Hell, they're Iron "§$%ing Maiden. They could probably ring up Rolls Royce, and they would gladly lend them one, or build one of new materials they could actually transport on tour without it costing as much as a small country to insure.

If I was ever in a band that big, I'd constantly be thinking 'ok, like, what can we do that will be a. new and super awesome and b. not going to injure, dismember, explode or spontaneous combust fans...or us for that matter :D

Last edited:
I am likely in the minority here, but I actually hate it when they open with Aces High. I just feel the start they do with it is so dated. They've done it a thousand times and its stale. Since basically the entire opening is just one big BANG! and its over really fast, that's not something that should be done repetitively. (As a girl, I can attest this applies from a variety of situations ;) ) At least in TNOTB there is a progression that builds up the excitement in the crowd to a crescendo as the band members come in.

And, of course... the wasted Churchill sound byte we all have heard from everywhere all the time in history and school, for thousands of years. +insert long dreary face+ lol It's not the way I'd prefer to start a metal concert. It's not the way I'd prefer to start anything, if I'm honest. For years I've been hoping they would cut that sound byte from it live.

Why not instead have a quote from a squadron captain, and/or just the startup and roar of the Hawker Hurricane's Merlin XXV's? Far more electrifying in my opinion. Hell, they're Iron "§$%ing Maiden. They could probably ring up Rolls Royce, and they would gladly lend them one, or build one of new materials they could actually transport on tour without it costing as much as a small country to insure.

If I was ever in a band that big, I'd constantly be thinking 'ok, like, what can we do that will be a. new and super awesome and b. not going to injure, dismember, explode or spontaneous combust fans...or us for that matter :D
Agree with this, Churchill speech is so overdone. Its also a hard song for Bruce to sing being fast and high, I think it would benefit from being a few songs in.

Reactions: Nyx

I’m actually a big fan of Aces High and think that, for a live set list, it’s one of the best openers they’ve got. That said, I wouldn’t mind some variety from time to time. I’d love to see them open with Be Quick or be Dead or Tailgunner. I’d especially love to hear Caught Somewhere in Time.

Reactions: Nyx
I’m actually a big fan of Aces High and think that, for a live set list, it’s one of the best openers they’ve got. That said, I wouldn’t mind some variety from time to time. I’d love to see them open with Be Quick or be Dead or Tailgunner. I’d especially love to hear Caught Somewhere in Time.
Ooh! Caught Somewhere In Time would be a great opener done right. Good thinking, dude. The intro and progression into Tailgunner would be dope as hell too.

Imagine if they used my previous idea for a plane, and upgrade to a bomber. Then put a few torso eddies in it hanging out the portholes with their machineguns, and have blanks shoot. With spark shower bangs and flashpots in the background once the song lit up into its full stride. :D If they did it right with the eddies, like what I saw from the Powerslave tour footage, (before the first torso was nicked) and scaled the size down a bit, that shit could be mad engaging with the crowd.

Sadly however, bombers, for very important reasons, have a very nasty public profile, especially with countries who were not part of the Allies. So the whole idea may be a bit insensitive to some history. If it wasn't though, and there was no negative connotation, or they could do the livery some way it would be acceptable, think about how cool the idea itself is. (Or I'm just crazy. Which is also a valid argument)

And, as the final perfect twist if you're going to go that far, have a padded cloth Eddie look confused and squished as all hell inside a ball turrent underneath, just spinning around helplessly when it inevitably malfunctions. Hanging on for dear life and praying for the best. lol

I give a bravery and badass rating of a million to anyone who did that during the war by the way on all sides. Crikey, what courage.

Back