Things about Iron Maiden that annoy you

I was seriously considering attending one of the Joe Bonamassa's shows at the Royal Albert Hall next year until I saw the ticket prices!! From £89.20 to £299.00!!!
Same as that.
Id maybe pay £90 to see him at home, same as Metallica, but no way Id travel and pay that price. Maiden and GnR are the only bands I would do that for.

Same as that.
Id maybe pay £90 to see him at home, same as Metallica, but no way Id travel and pay that price. Maiden and GnR are the only bands I would do that for.

He did play Hampton Court Palace festival earlier this summer and tickets were from £90 (with restricted visibility) to £149, but I thought it was as a result of the capacity of the venue. Boy was I wrong!

I guess those prices mean that I can save my money for other gigs. :D Every cloud has a silver lining.

This is laughable. Sure, there have been some exclusive dates in the UK on some tours (one date at Donington on the GMETID tour in 2003, one date at Twickenham on the SBIT tour in 2008), but they have played in their home country A LOT since 2000.
Actually, properly looking, you are probably right, it was just something i had in the back of my mind.

That said, apart from festivals, UK was missed in 1999, on GMETID, in 2005, and apart from the second leg of TFF tour, had 3 shows in total from 2007-2017, all in London.

Actually, properly looking, you are probably right, it was just something i had in the back of my mind.

That said, apart from festivals, UK was missed in 1999, on GMETID, in 2005, and apart from the second leg of TFF tour, had 3 shows in total from 2007-2017, all in London.

Not entirely correct. The did play a Clive Burr MS trust charity show in London in 2005 and did their most successful UK tour ever in 2017.

Bottom line is they have played a significant number of shows in their home country since the reunion.

Not entirely correct. The did play a Clive Burr MS trust charity show in London in 2005 and did their most successful UK tour ever in 2017.

Bottom line is they have played a significant number of shows in their home country since the reunion.
The 2017 tour was their most successfull UK tour ever? Having seen it in Birmingham i can see why, although that could change on the 7th.

I was lucky enough to be at one of those three shows. Can't remember which one.

Thing that annoys me the most? Their lack of play for SIT songs along with giving no reason behind why.... 2nd would be playing the same, played to death songs every tour that just need to go already

Thing that annoys me the most? Their lack of play for SIT songs along with giving no reason behind why.... 2nd would be playing the same, played to death songs every tour that just need to go already
It’s pretty well documented that Bruce was not happy with SIT. Combine that with a lot of those songs being very difficult to sing and it makes a lot of sense.

Here's a thing: What's up with their obsession with E -> G -> C -> D? Or E -> C -> A -> D? Or any other combination of those chords?
I mean I get that the melodies and beat make the songs distinct, but lay off those chords guys! Give me some more riffs!

Most annoying thing ever....not leaking the new album. Far worse that the choruses on BNW/VXI

Here's a thing: What's up with their obsession with E -> G -> C -> D? Or E -> C -> A -> D? Or any other combination of those chords?
I mean I get that the melodies and beat make the songs distinct, but lay off those chords guys! Give me some more riffs!

Riffs as in what? Most metal songs follow the same patterns. Either root over 6th or 5th string (E/A) or a full step ahead (F#/B ), minor scale 95% of the time. I don't care if some band downtunes and now it's D sharp minor, that's not the point.

Riffs as in what? Most metal songs follow the same patterns. Either root over 6th or 5th string (E/A) or a full step ahead (F#/B ), minor scale 95% of the time. I don't care if some band downtunes and now it's D sharp minor, that's not the point.
For example, the song "When the River Runs Deep". What Adrian plays during the intro and verse are what I call riffs. Then someone plays power chords behind that, but at least the riff exists at all.
And about minor key 95%, absolutely, but it doesn't have to be. Maiden themselves used Phrygian dominant in Powerslave, Fear is the Key and right now, with Stratego. They used Lydian (I think) in Isle of Avalon and Starblind, I suspect Adrian is the reason for that.
At least give me different time signatures, like Brighter than a Thousand Suns, or the cool instrumental sections of Alexander the Great or Empire of the Clouds.

I love when Maiden break the mold a bit, and they definitely do, but I wish they'd do it more.

And about minor key 95%, absolutely, but it doesn't have to be. Maiden themselves used Phrygian dominant in Powerslave...

That's a mode, not a key. The last single's first three notes reveal a mode that's not a natural minor because of the tritone. In any case these three notes are identical to one of the Doom's original songs. There's a song called "Hell on Earth" on this album. Coincidence? I think not.

That's a mode, not a key. The last single's first three notes reveal a mode that's not a natural minor because of the tritone. In any case these three notes are identical to one of the Doom's original songs. There's a song called "Hell on Earth" on this album. Coincidence? I think not.
You're right, I meant the minor scale, AKA Aeolian mode.
And for Stratego, I was wrong, it's not Phrygian dominant, but another mode of the harmonic minor scale. Not familiar with their names, but it's definitely interesting. Exactly what I want from music.

EDIT: According to this, it's called Dorian #11! I think.

Back