Things about Iron Maiden that annoy you

It's not that selling Maiden Football shirts is any different from selling Trooper beer or vhs cassettes of their videos. The logic is the same.

Ehhh, yes.... They are using an OUTSIDE event (The World Cup), that has absolutely NOTHING to do with Maiden to sell Maiden shirts? Is that cool?

We can compare Maiden with Kiss as far as merchandise goes. Not music (except maybe earlier Kiss). I don't see a problem with that. Most bands are also brands.
Many writers are brands. Many other artists are also brands.

The problem of that is the balance music-merchandise sometimes is mess up. A band or any artist should protect the integrity of their work from any form of merchandise related to them.

Meh. They've been doing the football shirts for years, might as well take advantage of a chance to promote them.

Perun's Law: As a discussion about Maiden grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Kiss approaches 1.
I don't understand the comparison really. Kiss is a brand, Maiden is a band. Simple as that.

I guess this isn't a good time to mention I actually enjoy certain Kiss albums...
Haven't got my Kiss Kondoms or Kiss Koffin yet, but I'd like to bury Gene in one, if I ever get the chance:innocent:

Ehhh, yes.... They are using an OUTSIDE event (The World Cup), that has absolutely NOTHING to do with Maiden to sell Maiden shirts? Is that cool?

Listen, i didn't make any kind of moral judgment of that.

Promotional videos has absolutely nothing to do with music. A band plays music, not videos. If they are making videos, they're making something else besides music.

So in a marketing sense, it's the same thing. If we judge them, probably world cup shirts are a little bit too much.

I guess this isn't a good time to mention I actually enjoy certain Kiss albums...
Haven't got my Kiss Kondoms or Kiss Koffin yet, but I'd like to bury Gene in one, if I ever get the chance:innocent:

Kiss was one of the first bands I ever heard, so they still have nostalgic value for me. I think they have some good songs (and even a few good albums) sprinkled in their catalog.

Meh. They've been doing the football shirts for years, might as well take advantage of a chance to promote them.

I don't understand the comparison really. Kiss is a brand, Maiden is a band. Simple as that.

Maiden is both a band and a brand.

Not in the same way as Kiss though. Any band of their magnitude is going to have a strong merchandising aspect. It never overtakes the music though. Kiss has stated themselves many times that the band itself is just one small part of a larger brand. They're like the mascots of their own company. With Iron Maiden, the band comes first, everything else is of way less importance.

I guess that unavoidably any band that "breaks through" becomes a business. It is impossible to stay innocent and just concentrate on music, when you know it's not just about your own pay, but the band also "feeds" tour personnel, managers, etc.
Also the longer the career, the more pressure from the fans' expectations on what you should sound like. This being said, Kiss (especially Gene) is often VERY cynical about musical values and says they just want to have as much money as possible. I think Maiden has managed to maintain certain "beliefs" and really stick to them... Even if it has made them occasionally a bit old-fashioned in the eyes of certain people.:)

@ Mosh Yep, you said basically all I had to say.:lol:

Not in the same way as Kiss though. Any band of their magnitude is going to have a strong merchandising aspect. It never overtakes the music though. Kiss has stated themselves many times that the band itself is just one small part of a larger brand. They're like the mascots of their own company. With Iron Maiden, the band comes first, everything else is of way less importance.

In a way, i've said that before. The only thing i don't agree is that Maiden's merchandise is less important. It is important as music. Maiden has one important element that many bands never had, and it's called Eddie. In a way, Maiden's merchandise was far more cleverly done that most bands around.

The difference is that Maiden's merchandise don't interfere with their music.

We cannot say that Maiden was never in front of merchandise! They were.

Why Ariana?

Maybe one of the most contemporary topics to discuss! Or did you just buy that FIFA-MAIDEN shirt you always wanted??!? ;) Tell us why!

Why is that any different from buying shoes, beer, miniature airplanes, necklaces, toys, mugs, coffee cups, jerseys, keychains...?

You don't really think that a kid in East Timor with an Eddie's shirt is in any way related to music?!

If you condemn one item, why don't you condemn any item? I can't understand.

Besides, Maiden cannot use FIFA's logo in their shirts without (expensive) permission. Are you really sure it's FIFA related?

What? Ehhh, yes.... They are using an OUTSIDE event (The World Cup), that has absolutely NOTHING to do with Maiden to sell Maiden shirts? Is that cool?

All of that other stuff is Maiden marketing themselves, Just go look up Iron Maiden Facebook.

Because it has nothing to do with Maiden and everything to do with the World Cup? You understand the difference now Rotam?

I have that fb page open. You don't need to "shut up" me.

Like i said, they're selling football shirts, not related to FIFA in any way.

You should opened also this http://ironmaiden.globalmerchstores.com/

and discover the wonderful joy of having one SSOSS "Basketball jersey". I didn't realized until know that Edward the Head has a couple of NBA rings in the fingers. lol

Merchandise stuff is merchandise stuff.

Back