Things about Iron Maiden that annoy you

I think the decision not to master AMOLAD is one of the reasons why the production is so great. Because of the ridiculous "loudness race", records have been getting steadily louder and having less and less dynamic range as time goes on. AMOLAD being unmastered simply means it has more space, more breathing room in the mix. The louds are louder, and more punchy, and the softs are much softer. In a ways, it's a return to the days of vinyl when the physics of using an analog medium prevented albums from being as compressed and jacked up as they are in the digital age. I think it certainly sports some of the best Maiden production, maybe even overall production, I've ever heard.

I actually like the AMOLAD production. The drum sound is nice, vocals and guitars sound rather raw and to the point, and the bass is more distinguishable than on the previous few albums.

Dance of Death on the other hand ... ouch. I simply can't turn it up loud.
Dance of Death gives me horrible ear fatigue as well. That's what you get when you use a super-crunched rough CD mix as a master disc...

Dance of Death gives me horrible ear fatigue as well. That's what you get when you use a super-crunched rough CD mix as a master disc...
But Lego, DoD sounds perfect played in the CD player of my car as loud as it can go. Which, I understand, is how Steve played it (except his car probably cost a bit more than mine!).
And I agree with you regarding AMOLAD. That's an album that deserves to be played in it's entirety on it's own. It sounds great (it IS great) when you're not putting the tracks up against others on an iTunes shuffle.

But Lego, DoD sounds perfect played in the CD player of my car as loud as it can go. Which, I understand, is how Steve played it (except his car probably cost a bit more than mine!).
And I agree with you regarding AMOLAD. That's an album that deserves to be played in it's entirety on it's own. It sounds great (it IS great) when you're not putting the tracks up against others on an iTunes shuffle.
Well yeah, when you have wind/road/engine noise to contend with, sure ;) But AMOLAD sounds just as great, you just have to turn the volume knob up a bit!

I think the decision not to master AMOLAD is one of the reasons why the production is so great. Because of the ridiculous "loudness race", records have been getting steadily louder and having less and less dynamic range as time goes on. AMOLAD being unmastered simply means it has more space, more breathing room in the mix. The louds are louder, and more punchy, and the softs are much softer. In a ways, it's a return to the days of vinyl when the physics of using an analog medium prevented albums from being as compressed and jacked up as they are in the digital age. I think it certainly sports some of the best Maiden production, maybe even overall production, I've ever heard.

I agree. To me it sounds the closest to a "live" performance. I like that little "imperfections" like Steve's string noise come through on AMOLAD and the lows of the drums are incredible. I wish Martin Birch could have a stab at it with all the modern recording technology. I love the tight punchy sound his records had, but the big drum sound of Shirley.

Most annoying for me is that the band hasn't returned to New Orleans since 1988 7th son tour. I had to drive all the way to Houston to see them only for the second time in my life in 2012! A 24 year drought! ROD SMALLWOOD and Maiden.... Please come play New Orleans VooDoo fest in October. It happens around the weekend near every Hallloween! KISS, Ozzy, and Metallica have all played it. Please get added to that list soon! :)

Things that annoy me about Iron Maiden?
The nineties;)

@ Night Prowler You mentioned there is no dvd release from Early Days tour. But, having seen the Ullevi Show on tv, doesn't Bruce deliberately hint that the show should be distributed via Internet to all Maiden fans free of charge? I always thought that was a nice gesture, not to "rip off fans" as many people often complain if every tour is released on dvd. Of course this is open to interpretation, but surely Maiden has released quite a few live dvds in their latter years, so maybe they wanted to try a different approach?

Last edited:
as many people often complain if every tour is released on dvd.
I don't understand this line of thinking. It's very easy to not buy a DVD if you don't want it. Personally I think every tour should be represented on DVD. Every Iron Maiden DVD I've bought has been well worth it and I've watched them all many times. The only DVD I didn't find worthy of a purchase was Visions of the Beast, so I didn't buy it! So I don't understand why someone would complain about releasing every tour. Just don't buy the DVD! I made my own disc for Ullevi but if they released that I'd gladly buy it.

I don't understand this line of thinking. It's very easy to not buy a DVD if you don't want it. Personally I think every tour should be represented on DVD. Every Iron Maiden DVD I've bought has been well worth it and I've watched them all many times. The only DVD I didn't find worthy of a purchase was Visions of the Beast, so I didn't buy it! So I don't understand why someone would complain about releasing every tour. Just don't buy the DVD! I made my own disc for Ullevi but if they released that I'd gladly buy it.
This. (Although I plan on buying Visions Of The Beast.)

I just don't understand why people always complain about new compilations/DVD's/remasters etc. No one's making you buy anything.

I'd understand the criticism if they, say, released the new album only in a 2CD+DVD edition and it costs 3x the regular price. Otherwise, no.

I might buy Visions at some point for completion sake if I ever find that in a bargain bin, but besides that no.

Also, it's not like they're rehashing the same product. Even if you don't like the setlist or performance or whatever, they usually pack these DVDs with awesome bonus features.

You make a good point. There's lots of stuff from Maiden, Priest, etc. that I'll never have the money to buy, but at least if there is a large library of dvds available I can choose the ones I like best (=better value for money). But still, I thought it was a nice gesture from the band. I also thought it was no accident they decided to televise the show in Sweden after the Pirate Bay publicity. I think that takes balls. Many other musician and Gene Simmons just seem to whine about the Internet.:p

Note: Musicians AND Gene Simmons...

I like that Maiden encourage fans to download stuff, I have absolutely no problem with that. This shouldn't stop them from releasing a DVD though (I'm sure this wasn't the reason they didn't do a DVD from that tour anyway).

@ Mosh Point taken. If you start some kind of an internet petition for the official release of Ullevi (or some other gig on that tour), I will sign it. However, in that case I also want them to release Montreal 83 and Paris 86 for me, no matter how crappy the quality would be;)

I like that Maiden encourage fans to download stuff, I have absolutely no problem with that. This shouldn't stop them from releasing a DVD though (I'm sure this wasn't the reason they didn't do a DVD from that tour anyway).

I recall reading an article that a huge chunk of Maiden's sales comes from merchandise as opposed to musical products. If you take a look at websites selling heavy metal products, Maiden often have more products than anyone else, even Metallica. It's a smart marketing strategy that both keeps fans on your side and generates a profit for the band. This encourages more people to support the band, who will in turn, buy more Maiden products, including musical products.

Don't care if it would be "selling out" or not, but Maiden should definitely take advantage of their rich live history and put out more old live shows from time to time. Like they did with Beast Over Hammersmith.

Have a sort of series of archive releases, that let's them throw out obscure or memorable 80's, 90', 00's shows. And then put albums out in that archive series every other year. Would be amazing. So it could be like..I don't know Dallas, 1983 one release and the next Budokan Tokyo 87 then some Blaze show from Virtual tour etc etc, you get my drift ;)

Last edited:
Don't care if it would be "selling out" or not, but Maiden should definitely take advantage of their rich live history and put out more old live shows from time to time. Like they did with Beast Over Hammersmith.

Well, technically, that's what they've been doing with the history DVDs.

Yeah, they've been re-releasing all of those old VHS tapes because they're outdated etc but read my next paragraph. A series of archive releases of live shows. Would be amazing. Like the double CD of Hammersmith 82. Just a different rarity each time :)

I know what you mean, and I agree. But they also released archive material on their DVDs. It's not the same as Beast Over Hammersmith, of course. My dream is an official, high quality standalone live album from every tour, but I doubt that will happen.

Yeah they did, which was cool. Those black and white band showcase documentaries were all new as was that Alamo, Texas special on the Live After Death installment.

But yeah, exactly, FULL high quality live shows (again like Hammersmith) is what I'm after here also...Polish up those reel-to-reel tapes and put some classic shows out there! The booklets could even contain some tour stuff from Rod or a little bit from the band if they remember anything about a particular show...But I'm getting carried away now I guess.

More Eddies's Archive stuff is basically what I'm asking.

Back