Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 05/10/08)

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 03/06/07)

The best idea is to us a download manager that can be configured to, for example, pick out all .mp3 files and nothing else. I have used ReGet in the past and it can do exactly that.

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 07/06/07)

The delay effect on the percussion intro for black bart's most interesting to listen to with headphones, I must say.

Hey Thingfish

I have not heard your renditions in quite some time due to a lousy laptop that supports Vista.  I actually could log on now that no one is here.  I really like 'Flight of Icarus'.  Have you had some voice training?  Honestly, it seems like you've got more volume and you could carry a note longer.  I liked it even though I'm not too crazy about the speed or poppiness of the original.  The guitars are great, but I did not care for the clapping.  Sorry, one can't like everything.  A great job!  :ok: 

Thanks, guys!

GK: No, I've not had any voice training apart from the natural training I've undergone in attempting to make my voice sound better on these acoustic renditions over the last 15 months. That said, Flight Of Icarus is in the unusual key (for Maiden, at least) of F# minor which is likely a key that fits to my vocal range more easily. I can only think of one other Maiden song in the same key which is 'Sun And Steel'.

There isn't any clapping in this song, but rather me hitting my knees with my hands :)

Always has been a special song for me and a pity that I never saw it live at a Maiden concert. It’s a shame that Maiden didn’t play it for over 20 years! Last time was at the beginning of Somewhere on Tour, to be precize in Graz, Austria, 15 September 1986. I hoped that the song would return for a last time at the summerfestivals in 2005, but alas!

Back on topic:
I really enjoyed it, Thingfish !

Great backing vocals in the chorus, I especially like the higher one in my left ear. And what a touch again in the solos! Rock on!

:--)

Many thanks, Forostar! I have a number of Brucie solo bootlegs from the past 14 years where his band plays Flight Of Icarus, but indeed it was surprising Maiden didn't play it on the Early Days tour in 2005  :(

I also particularly like the voice in the left ear in the chorus, especially on the longer 'Flyyyy' in the chorus after the solo. I added that harmony in myself as it's not in the original, but I thought it was great and it was very empowering to sing that at the top of my voice :)

I noticed it! Nice addition indeed. :)

Well, this is not my favourite Maiden song, but of course you've done a good job with your version again, Thingfish :) But now my playlist reached your version of The Edge of Darkness which I like a bit more :)

Thanks, Belenor, it took a lot of time and money to hire and fly those helicopters so the recordings for the intro and outro came out just perfectly, but it seemed to work ok  :D

I love your version of this song! Your vocals seemed to either have improved or as you said the key is better suited for your voice, but either way your vocals are great on this song! :ok:

Great stuff, mate. I'm really impressed. You've got a great voice and guitar-playing talent. :ok:

Very kind of you to say so, Kalev, glad to have you listening!  :yey:

Well, I have not realized before how great and helpful your work can be, Thingfish :) Where I work, our local shared harddisk with lots of mp3s become a bit unreachable, but what a luck, I have a free source of great music on the Internet - Thingfish's covers! Now, almost thirty of these tracks are in the playlist of my XMMS making my workday a bit brigter. I even have not switched to other mp3s after the HDD have started to work. Hehe, more likely, I will download some more covers I think :) (Now playing: Thingfish - Face In The Sand - Acoustic Version - really atmospheric piece!)

That's great to hear, Belenor, spread the word to all your work colleagues too, maybe these songs will get them into Maiden? :D
I've got the conch!!! Just don't dare call me Piggy!!!  :mad: :mad:

'Lord Of The Flies'!!!!

:yey: :yey: :yey:

http://www.putfile.com/thingfishy

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 17/06/07)

I started listening to the chipmunk version and wondered why it was so fast.

You are getting better and better.  I love the emphasis when that bass strikes.  It is powerfully done, especially your voice and the solo.

Excellent job, Thingfish! Really one of my favourites from all your recordings! I like all the singing from the beginning til' the end!

On a sidenote:
Did you realize that perhaps most Maiden songs are created on acoustic instruments? They never recorded demos, but because of your stuff we can have an idea how they created their work. :)

Great stuff as always. What struck me about this version is the powerful sound of the guitar (maybe I was just listening to it louder?), and how much your vocals have improved in such a short space of new songs (then again your vocals are always strongest on Blaze tracks). Here's a final compliment: your version motivated me to go back and revisit that particular song, so many thanks! :ok:

Back