Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 05/10/08)

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 02/07/07)

It sounds good - I'm listening to it right now.  I like your epics  :)

Sweeeeeet. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns sounds all eerie and ominous, even in acoustic. Your cover of the song is effectively played, though in here the vocals need a little work compared with some of your other works, though the effort is great.

( Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 02/07/07) )

Change the date Thingfish :)

greets
Aad

Mmm...Donuts said:
Sweeeeeet. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns sounds all eerie and ominous, even in acoustic. Your cover of the song is effectively played, though in here the vocals need a little work compared with some of your other works, though the effort is great.

Thanks, MD, this songs is rather more difficult vocally than most of Maiden's other tracks so I'm sure I can be forgiven a little :)

Forostar : Changed it :D

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 20/07/07)

Catch up time.

Sea of Madness and Caught Somewhere in Time - very good. I just wonder what album sounds best done acoustically - as Somewhere in Time is a front runner - but most tracks by Maiden sound good done in other ways rather than just a plain metal sound. That is testament to good song-writing.

Judgement day - this track I don't listen to that often, be it by Maiden or anyone else. One of the few Maiden tracks I don't care much for (I really don't know why). I have listened, but don't really know how to judge it (if you see what I mean).

Brighter Than a Thousand Suns - brilliant. Great song and done nicely by yourself. Nice little touches like the lead in to each verse and some good passion in your voice.

Great to have you back, albie, it's been a while! :D I would probably say that The X Factor is up there in terms of the best done acoustically, simply because a lot of it sounds like it was probably written on an acoustic guitar or bass. SIT is great too, though...heck, they're all great! :)

Great stuff, very impressive. Your voice has a real Joe Strummer-thing going on, and I love Joe Strummer, so :p Your arrangements are probably the best I've heard, very "full", a lot of acoustic covers lose the dimensions since many are done on just one guitar, but this is great stuff.

I love how Maiden sounds acoustic. I think an unplugged album would be awesome down the road, but it'd never happen. Wouldn't be "Maiden" I guess.

Quick question, I was thinking of posting some other acoustic maiden-covers and I wondered if I should start a new "Maiden-covers"-thread or simply hijack yours? I can see the point in having this dedicated, but I don't want to riddle the board with more cover-threads if it isn't necessary. It's up to you.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, Shrike :)

I'd rather keep this one dedicated to my project. I couldn't change the name of the thread anyway  :bigsmile:

No worries, I just figured I'd get it from the horse's mouth (if you'll pardon the metaphor), so I wouldn't get any "why make a cover-thread when there's already one on page 1"-comments :p

Please feel free to make your own general covers thread :) Just don't try and do the full Maiden back catalogue in acoustic versions, that's all I ask!  :bigsmile:

Hehe, should have mentioned that before I posted three acoustic covers :p But they're hardly anything like yours anyway. So I hope you'll let it slide ;)

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 26/07/07)

For some reason I can't find it, the upload might not have worked properly I guess. But I have an entirely unrelated question. Are there three quitar-tracks on Strange World? :p

I always thought I could hear three different ones on the album-version, but I was unsure, seeing as how you made a cover I figured you'd know :p And I thought I heard the same on yours.

You were clearly too quick, Shrike. It was uploading as I posted here :D

No, I don't believe there were three guitar tracks on Strange World, unless you count the solo being overdubbed or something. On all my versions I use tons of guitars, so I don't follow Maiden exactly  :blush:

Thingfish, your Man On The Edge cover was great! Your unique vocal style really is effective in the magic of this song, I admit, you sound like a higher pitched Blaze here! Kudos to ya! My only complaint is that Janick's solo, though sounds nice, lacks the manic pace. But otherwise I love it.

I doubt I sound like a high-pitched Blaze here, MD, since Blaze sings it an octave above me :) :) I'll make a note to add in more manicness on the next Janick solo!  :D

Love the solos! :)

The vocals on this track must have been the lowest you've ever recorded! (Again these remind me of Midnight Oil's Peter Garrett!) ;)

Thanks, Forostar! :) Yes, the background vocals on the pre-chorus are rather low indeed, a low 'E' which is only two tones above the lowest note I can hit  :innocent:

Thingfish said:
You were clearly too quick, Shrike. It was uploading as I posted here :D

No, I don't believe there were three guitar tracks on Strange World, unless you count the solo being overdubbed or something. On all my versions I use tons of guitars, so I don't follow Maiden exactly  :blush:

I actually do think I mean the solos :p If there are two long solos before and after the first verse. Either that or my ears don't realise that the picking is from the same guitar. Either way the song is awesome, one of my all-time favourite Maiden-songs, and I so wished they'd play it on the last history-tour. I love the way the guitars weave back and forth and that it isn't really riff-based. Out Of The Shadows really gave me some Strange World-vibes.

Back