Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 05/10/08)

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 08/05/07)

Ah, Virus is another well done song. Some time ago, I tried to learn it myself, but I never reached the quality that you have achieved.

Well, I sometimes try to learn the songs by ear, but I'm usually not very sure that I am correct :) Maybe with a greater knowledge of music theory, I would be more sure. But I think that would not help me to discover that for example The Legacy is played on downtuned guitars.

I will probably only downtune the bottom E string to a D for The Legacy, we'll see. I'll certainly be using the mandolin a lot in it! :)

Up to track 90 now, and with it comes yet another all-time classic that has never been played live! Now they have three guitarists and an upcoming tour covering Powerslave, Maiden have no excuse whatsoever not to play this most wonderfully brilliant song...

'The Duellists'!!!

:yey:

http://www.putfile.com/thingfishy

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 14/05/07)

Extremely authentic sound you got there! I really loved The Duellists, and you did a good job with the song!  :ok:

The most underrated Maiden song ever.

No one talks about it but it has a phenominal mid-piece. The rest of the song is also very good imo. Only good parts! It's in my top 10!

I really like your delivery Thingfishy! Excellent rhythm playing and nice vocals.
One of the best songs for listening with headphones !

3.16 --> I heard the softer stuff in the middle, great addition !
The stuff from 4.14 and further is perhaps my favourite part. What a harmony, just made for acoustics !  :)

Many thanks, you two, this one was really fun to play and to get these excellent parts down accurately.

Forostar : The part at 3.16 is just a wee addition using my mandolin that I thought was required as the lead guitars alone, without the sustain of being electric, sounded a bit bare. Seemed to work fine :)

Yeah, adding a mandolin is a good idea, fits nicely :) Maybe a slight detail with higher notes of the chorus. You apparently had to put more power to your voice to sound good, but the notes are probably too loud with this, maybe putting a microphone a bit farther from your mouth when singing these notes would have helped? But good anyway :)

I find that some notes occasionally come out a little too loud when heard on more powerful speakers but come out perfectly through good headphones where the sound is better controlled. The main vocal in the chorus has this issue but I felt it just made it. It's not necessarily a case of holding the microphone further away but also how much volume I add to parts in the mix. I manually assign volume levels to every section of the song and what sounds right to my ears unfortunately won't sound right to everyone's :(

Yeah, that is possible, you know, my headphones are of the cheap sort :)

Back with another Maiden track based on a classic movie. This one took ages to record as I had to go up in a helicopter to get all the effects for the intro and outro...Bloody expensive business, I can tell you, but it's all in the name of art!  :innocent:

'The Edge Of Darkness'!!!

Thingfish said:
Back with another Maiden track based on a classic movie. This one took ages to record as I had to go up in a helicopter to get all the effects for the intro and outro...Bloody expensive business, I can tell you, but it's all in the name of art!  :innocent:

'The Edge Of Darkness'!!!

How come I see your new updates just when I'm about to go to bed and am not in the mood for listening to anything :(?  Damn,  I'll try as soon as possible Thingfish! :blush:

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 22/05/07)

I am happy you have done this one, Thingfish. And I'm happy you've done it excelently, nice solos and the singing fits well to this dark track. And of course, a perfect helicopter :)

Your singing fits really well to this track...and of course as usual, great solos! To be entirely honest I almost like the middle part better than the middle part of the original, the acoustic guitar works really well there.

I am honoured you would say so, Natalie :) Glad you all liked it!  :yey:

I have yet to listen to Edge of Darkness, but The Duellists and Virus are very good - I like Virus better. :D

You like Virus better than The Duellists, or you like Virus better now after hearing my version?  :innocent:

Thingfish said:
You like Virus better than The Duellists, or you like Virus better now after hearing my version?  :innocent:
Your version of Virus is better than your version of Duellists. I must admit, Virus is a very good song and I love the original.

Ahha. I guess it's down to me sound more like Blaze than like Bruce again :( Unfortunately, I can't solve that problem  :S I prefer my version of The Duellists, though  :bigsmile:

It's true...your voice fits better to the songs from the Blaze-era. But thats ok, your version of the Duellists is good too! :)

Back