The Wicker Man

How good is The Wicker Man on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
OMG. Any idea what's the source of this? As far as I know The Wicker Man was not in Rock Band and only DoD had the 5.1 mix (or whatever that was).

No idea really, maybe we should ask the uploader "Joh Ph", he has lots of stuff like this on his channel by different artists. But maybe the song was available as a download to a Guitar Hero game?

What a messy noise Adrian makes at the end of (or rather after) the solo @3:14. Yaaiks. Glad that isn't audible or present in the song.
Sounds like a standard lick by Kirk Hammett :D.

Hmm... I played it along the album version and it seems that the mistake at the end of the solo is only in the isolated track.

I exported that moment, check this out: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9eYthpfX-u5a2ozNFN5REVDNkU/view

For the majority of time the tracks are identical (hence the slight 'chorus effect') but in this clip (at 0:20) you can hear the solo takes are different.

So it's either re-recorded by someone (sounds so real though...) or someone has access to unused takes - which is VERY interesting.

Awesome song that functions both as a powerful opener and a short rocker that lives up to the 80s standard of quality. This one comes to life on stage, but the studio version works a lot better than the studio versions of other live favorites. Bruce sounds older but his voice is more powerful. One of my all time favorite H solos, bookended by a solid riff.

The song ends in grand Maiden style with the classic "woah oh oh". I love how this doesn't lose any of its power in the studio version.

What a spectacular way to return to business. Bruce is brilliant on this but Adrian's influence is probably even more important. Amazing riffing all the way through and the chorus is so emphatic. I think the RiR version has probably elevated it in my eyes mind you.

Maybe a bit too simple and straight-forward for me to give out a 10, and a little minus for the fact that the opening riff sounds exactly like Running Wild from Judas Priest.

Not only that, but the prechorus is very similar to the prechorus to Queensryche's "Spreading The Disease."

It's a fun tune live, but a bit simple to be up there in 9-10 territory with Maiden's more musically sophisticated songs like "Hallowed" or "Phantom." Deducting another point or two for the (perhaps-unintentional, but still ...) derivativeness of the main riff and prechorus.

Really good opener. Must have been really special to hear this one back in 2000, a great way to say we're back (not that Maiden were gone). Adrian's solo rocks.

8/10 (close to 9).

10/10

From the opening chords of The Wicker Man it is clear that this record is something special. Adrian Smith pounds out some power chords before the full band joins in and Bruce Dickinson takes the mic for a rousing, anthemic opener. Easily their best opening track since Aces High, The Wicker Man is a simple and effective rocker with Adrian Smith’s most well-composed guitar solo ever. I could spend ten pages just talking about the solo, which goes through a catchy and repetitive melodic phrase, a bluesy jam lick, a neoclassical legato section, and ends with a classic Maiden flurry of triplet notes. It is a song built for the stage, with a sing-a-long chorus and and ending full of “whoa-oh” chants. The band still uses this song as their opener quite often because it is a perfect introduction: fast, melodic, fun, and catchy. The return of Bruce and Adrian injects new life into the band and it can be heard in every second of The Wicker Man.

Hey, I actually went through every single song on BNW and survived! I went purposefully out of order so as to not let the album drag the individual songs down, and I think that's helped. Finishing up, the opening track. One of Maiden's finest. The one song on the album that can actually be considered great. The Wicker Man. As its own song, it'd be a 9/10, but it's a track off of BNW, so the fact that it can really stand up and hold its own against the rest of Maiden's discography propels it to a 10/10. Finally, after a whole afternoon and evening of listening, I've actually given something a 10/10. Sing ho!

I can't seem to decide which one is Maiden's best opener, but this is a strong contender. Very energetic track, and a breath of fresh air after Virtual XI (it's not a bad album, by any means, but it is pretty difficult to get into). Marvelous choice for a lead single, even better when it was also an announcement for Bruce and Adrian's return. A very strong 9.

Back to the best Maiden. Very energetic and catchy track, and we finally get Bruce on the vocals again doing the business. A strong 9

OMG. Any idea what's the source of this? As far as I know The Wicker Man was not in Rock Band and only DoD had the 5.1 mix (or whatever that was).
Rock Band Blitz had "The Wicker Man" as one of the playable tracks, and it was exportable into the main Rock Band game. It might have come from there.

10/10 Solid and no way to change my mind. I’ve been a Maidenite, or an EdHead since the beginning. I’ve been to several concerts even Monsters of Rock when I was stationed in Germany during their SSOSS era(was lovin the hell outta that one too). All I can say is what i’ve Always said “Maiden is Rock” This one solid opener proves that while there will always be a Maiden, Bruce and Adrian make Maiden my way!
:censored:
:bigsurprise:

Punchy opening riff from Adrian Smith, clear production -- our long international nightmare is finally over!

Great verse. Nicko feels a little off the beat in places. Strong pre-chorus and chorus. The chorus does feel a little sparse, and I might prefer the single version for that reason.

Great solos. Love the whole journey through that part. Awesome "whoah-oh-oh-oh" section made even better by the harmonized backing guitars. Nice finish.

Somehow greater than the sum of its parts. I'll round this up to a 9/10.

Classic song. Bruce sounds great and Adrian plays one of his best solos. No weaknesses at all. 10

Back