The Wicker Man

How good is The Wicker Man on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: The Wicker Man

9. It was pretty different, but also felt like that good old jeans the first time I heard this song. It's a modern Iron Maiden, 3 guitars in their precise spots, Adrian and Bruce comin' back with new experiences, new influences and new approaches to the music, in general, which they applied to Maiden, both technically and musically. It's said to be a proposital Priest rip off the intro, but it's a coincidence, for sure. Bruce soars on this song, bringing back the power and the carachter Maiden had lost, Adrian's guitar work was still splendid, but different from the Adrian we knew from the 80's, as he showcased on the wonderful solo he plays in this song. Lyrically, it's a call to army to celebrate Maiden's second coming, which in many aspects, is much better than it was in the first. :edmetal:

9/10. I can't think of many openers better than this (Moonchild is one) but this one (to coin a phrase) rocks - big time.

9/10 from me.  Wicker Man is such a great song.  Clever lyrics, the return of Adrian's riffing (even if it is slightly borrowed) and solos all wrapped up with a decent production and a soaring Bruce vocal.  I nearly wept from excitement when I first heard this in 2000.  It's the best album opener since Moonchild, and the despite the catalog of great songs that followed, probably the most classic of all newer Maiden songs.  Great stuff. 

I still slightly prefer the radio edit with the added vocals but I'm not sure if it's because it really is better or if I'm just not as used to it.

10/10

This is the best reunion era opener and it is pretty high up there overall. I love Bruce's singing and the guitar work is tremendous. And seeing it live in 2010 was awesome! Couldn't have asked for a better way to start such a good concert.

9 out of 10... This is as high as a 9 can go without being a 10. My favorite opener, and one of my favorite Maiden rockers. Great start to one of my favorite albums. With Bruce back behind the mic and Adrian's guitar added to the magic, I concluded almost immediately that reunion Maiden was the strongest the band had ever been. Seeing it last summer on the TFF Canadian tour was a highlight of the show for me.  :rocker:

LooseCannon said:
Best fast opener since Moonchild drops here.

You forgot Futureal :innocent:

When I first heard this song, I didn't think it was that great, and though that the sound was kind of cluttered with the 3 guitars. Now however, I like how the 3 guitars work together with Adrian and Bruce back in the helm. Great vocal performance and great lyrics also help lift the song. This song is definitely the best opener in the reunion period, but it seems that I don't like it as much as everyone else. 8/10.

Unknown One said:
You forgot Futureal :innocent:

Well put! Futureal was at least as good, and Maiden indeed never made such a good opener (fast or not) afterwards.

10/10

This song was the first 21st century maiden song i heard. The power, the passion, that godly solo, its all there

Hehe, it was first for a lot of us. Simply because it's the first 21st century Maiden release.

Foro, didn't you see what that Zare post was a reply to?

Babo 91 said:
10/10

This song was the first 21st century maiden song i heard. The power, the passion, that godly solo, its all there

The first 21st century Maiden song. Zare just points out that The Wicker Man is a quite obivous first, since it was indeed the first Maiden song in this century.

:)

A great rocker, classic from start to finish. Also one of the first Maiden songs I ever heard (after the complete Number of the Beast album), and everybody around me denouncing this particular song as "evil" and "noise" made me love it even more. Now it's mostly nostalgic to me. Although it's a hard-rocking tune with great lyrics, it's never been more than an opener to me. 8/10.

Stallion Duck said:
10/10

This is the best reunion era opener and it is pretty high up there overall. I love Bruce's singing and the guitar work is tremendous. And seeing it live in 2010 was awesome! Couldn't have asked for a better way to start such a good concert.

Yes, yes, yes.  This is a perfect Maiden song.

10/10, my favorite Maiden opener, kicks the shit out of Aces High if you ask me, and is my favorite song from this album.

By far the best 2000's opener, great energetic song. I was going to give it a 9 but I accidentally gave 10. But I'm not upset it's a 10. :yey:

maidenhead1996 said:
By far the best 2000's opener, great energetic song. I was going to give it a 9 but I accidentally gave 10. But I'm not upset it's a 10. :yey:

Agreed, Best opener of the reunion era and a great way to kick off the "reunion." 9

Best album opener since Caught Somewhere In Time. Fantastic riffing and vocals. 10/10.

P.S. I don't like that radio version with expanded chorus...

Back