The Trooper

How good is The Trooper on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Ok, the legendary classic. I'm going to give it a 7. Why? Because i heard it like a million times in million live versions. When you hear three same riffs a million times, the enthusiasm for the song drops. Yes it's brilliant moment live, i've jumped around and ripped off my own vocal cords at chorus, however i also behaved like that when they played "Iron Maiden" - and you can check that topic to see what kind of score i gave to that song. I'm bit sick and tired of this track. But there is no chance that it'll ever get lower than 7 out of 10 in my book, it's an excellent heavy metal classic, ruined by overplaying.

9... one of those great and yes i voted 8 but im more liberal nowadays. and i recognise how great this song is (so i bumped it 1 place  :lol:)

10/10

An iconic Maiden track which condenses many of their trademarks into four minutes. I've always liked their history songs which encourage you to dig deeper and find out more. Two great solos with the highlight for me being Adrian's repeated licks from 2:17 on. Those quick bends are awesome!

Like a lot of the other "overplayed" songs, I haven't got tired of this one.

:D Thats pretty bad.

I fell in love with this one on the first listen.
The first time heard it on The Best of the Beast I was hooked and listened to it at least 15 times in a row!  :D I hold this song responsible for me falling in love with this band. 10.

This is among the first Maiden songs that really caught me. The song is absolutely iconic and a live staple, and for good reason. Excellent solos, a very literally galloping bass, the dueling double (And now triple) axe attack, a powerful performance from Bruce, and simple but thrilling lyrics. This song takes your mind's eye right into the Charge of the Light Brigade. How could it be anything but 10/10?

It's the Trooper. It's probably the second most recognizable IM track to a non-fan outside of Number of the Beast. It's a classic. Classics get 10/10.

This, aswell as Run To The Hills, is hard to rate because I have heard it a zillion times. But this one is better, that's for sure!

This one pumps out energy and attitude and everyone in the band delivers. It's a great livesong and the lyrics are cool, one of many war-lyrics to come.

What bothers me is that the vocals in this one is very similar to the ones in Hallowed Be Thy Name. Both songs in Em with a melody focusing round the 5:th (B4 in this case for all nerds out there). Both songs have a start-stop section with the vocals for it self on the first verse aswell. Maybe I'm over analysing, but for me there are to many similarities at the same time which drags the score down a little bit for The Trooper.

8/10

10/10. I truly never get tired of this song. A classic in all the best possible senses of the word. This song gallops your mind's eye straight into the Charge of the Light Brigade.

I used to think this song was overrated when I first listened to it, but now, I recognize its position as a Maiden classic. It has furious energy, fantastic riffs, memorable lyrics and an outstanding performance by Bruce. Best listened to after mixing a Trooper beer with an energy drink for that adrenaline pumping rush.

9/10.

RTC's Maiden Ranking:
1: Hallowed Be Thy Name: 10/10
2: Revelations: 10/10
3: Phantom Of The Opera: 9/10
4: The Trooper: 9/10
5: Killers: 9/10
6: Children Of The Damned: 8/10
7: Remember Tomorrow: 8/10
8: The Number Of The Beast: 8/10
9: Murders In The Rue Morgue: 8/10
10: Flight Of Icarus: 7/10
11: Run To The Hills: 7/10
12: Where Eagles Dare: 7/10
13: Purgatory: 7/10
14: 22 Acacia Avenue: 7/10
15: Wrathchild: 7/10
16: Transylvania: 7/10
17: Prodigal Son: 6/10
18: Strange World: 6/10
19: Die With Your Boots On: 6/10
20: Sanctuary: 6/10
21: Another Life: 6/10
22: The Prisoner: 6/10
23: Prowler: 6/10
24: Gangland: 5/10
25: Genghis Khan: 5/10
26: Iron Maiden: 5/10
27: Charlotte The Harlot: 5/10
28: Twilight Zone: 5/10
29: Drifter: 4/10
30: Running Free: 4/10
31: Innocent Exile: 4/10
32: Invaders: 3/10
33: Total Eclipse: 3/10
34: The Ides Of March: 2/10

A famous commentator used to say, when things suddenly got intense, "Business just picked up!" That's how this opening riff sounds.

This is a song that has gotten better with age. As the band has matured the playing of this song has gotten faster, and with a third guitar, far more in depth. To the point that I hear the lack of Janick now.

Steve drives this song on hard. Nicko pounds out note after strong note. The guitars attack and Bruce hits it on the nose. There's a reason this is one of the most famous Iron Maiden songs. Because it's one of their best.

10/10

Back