The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

How good is The Thin Line Between Love and Hate on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'the Thin Line Between Love And Hate'

I've always wondered - does Dave do all the solos on this song? Also, is he in the right channel or is that H? Cause the rhythm there is REALLY tight and crunchy. I know Janick's in the left cause it sounds like a wall of noise.

I also must add that the lead riff at about 6:43 is probably my favorite Maiden lead ever. Such emotion!

Everybody says that the solos are of the Dave! But the first one I finish and it are of the Adrian

Edu_Smith said:
Everybody says that the solos are of the Dave! But the first one I finish and it are of the Adrian

I can't tell! The tone sounds more like Dave's, but the solo seems composed, like Adrian's! I'm split on the second one, too - it has those high bendy Dave notes but the random noodling we expect from Janick. The big solo in the middle of the song (before the quiet part) sounds like Dave, but like the first, it also doesn't sound improvised.

I assume that Dave plays the riff during the quiet part that mirrors the vocal line, but I suppose it could be Adrian...

The fourth solo (before the awesome riff) sounds like Dave, and so does the fifth.

What makes a man decide, take the wrong or righteous road?

Exactly. I've been wondering about that myself. Think about state-sponsored torturers, killers for hire, amoral characters of any sort. What moves you to become like that? It's a subject that interests me and puzzles me at the same time.

Daily Song: The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I have never absolutely loved this song. I like it enough; it served as the introduction for a video I made back in high school. But I don't love it, either. It never grasped me very hard. As an average song, it gets an average score: 6/10.

Re: Daily Song: The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

The instrumental part is one of the greatest moments in heavy metal history. I never get tired of it, and it is simply beautiful. The lyrics are great as well. I'm not sure I am overly fond of the verses being completely done with harmonics, but once Bruce sings the chorus for the first time, this song has won. 10/10.

An atypical closer and unique song in the catalogue.  It starts like a straight-ahead hard rock song, but mixes in all kinds of curveballs. Love the melodies on both the pre-chorus and the chorus, love Nicko’s rhythms on both too. Bruce has a different thing going on here that works nicely as well. Not an obvious song, but very, very strong. Eight.

Atypical closer, yeah. Atypical lyrics and atypical theme. Doesn't click, but it isn't a fail either. Great instrumental section. 7

Great piece! Instrumental is really good. Good closer for a really good album. 9/10

'The Thin Line Between Love And Hate' is in my top ten Maiden songs list. Therefore I rate it as 10/10. Together with 'The Nomad', this is another song I wish they would play live. This song is so different from anything the band has written.

Zare said:
Atypical closer, yeah. Atypical lyrics and atypical theme. Doesn't click, but it isn't a fail either. Great instrumental section. 7

For me, it does. Two distinctly different halves, the atypical layering of vocals in the verse, the damn fine solos, all contribute in making this a very good closer to a rock solid album. 9/10.

PS: Holy cow, I just calculated the average I've given this album, and it ends on 8.8 - the same as Seventh Son!

Eddies Wingman said:
PS: Holy cow, I just calculated the average I've given this album, and it ends on 8.8 - the same as Seventh Son!

'Brave New World' is still my favourite album ever.

The song is over at 5:26, I'm not sure why they drag it out almost 3 more minutes.

OK, the instrumental part is pretty good and saves the song from a lower mark. The song is good, overall, but like Zare said - it doesn't click. 7/10.

I like this one quite a bit, the instumental section is great and I think it is a really good albume closer.  I give it a 9.

One of the best endings in Maiden history, but, I dunno, the lyrics are kinda wierd.

Out of Maiden's 15 studio albums this closer belongs to the 4 least good album closers they did (together with the Di'Anno-era closers and Journeyman). Possibly also the least good song of this album, though The Fallen Angel is also a candidate. (I gave a 7 for The Fallen Angel, but I am already doubting that).

This song has a remarkable cool chorus (where Bruce goes high with superb control), and a few nice riffs. However, in total, the song is too lengthy to get a "good" grade. It feels too lengthy because in the second half some parts are dragging and monotone.

I particularly do not like the slow parts. And there are too many Dave solos, there could be more variation if all the guys had a chance to show their stuff. But the main problem for me is that a big part of the song feels like it's in the same vein. I miss some changes in atmosphere, and I miss surprises, which are necessary to make a long song epic. Instead it's rather a predictable sounding effort. The beforementioned awesome chorus drags it up to a high 6, but the rest of the song fails to reach the same level. The Unbeliever is a song with a comparable chorus, with a way better instrumental part, with more interesting couplets (maybe more awkward or difficult couplets, but certainly less simple), with a less predictable build-up and with a superior atmosphere.

I'm starting to think that Steve Harris is unfamiliar with the phrase, "leave them wanting more" when it comes to song writting. So many songs (and especially so after Martin Birch left) seem to have many repetitive parts and interesting hooks or riffs get replayed until you are tired of them before the song is half over. I am not saying there wasn't repetition of both riffs (Where Eagles Dare comes to mind), and especially not lyrics (Heaven Can Wait, Caught Somewhere in Time, etc), but I remember when a 7 minute song was an epic. Now it's shorter than average.

I give this a 5. Some good parts, but I have to subtract some points for the bloated ending.

10 of 10

Lovely guitar playing, and Bruce's and one best vocals since the reunion era

THE THIN LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-IIIIIIIIIIINE BEEEETWEEEEN LOOOOVE AND HAAAAAAAAAA-AAAAAAAAATE

Back