The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

How good is The Thin Line Between Love and Hate on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters

The_7th_one

Ancient Mariner
I always thought that it's one of the best songs of the album, 10/10
I don't think Murray was inspired in 'Ordinary World' by Duran Duran (but shit, it has something of it), but…maybe it was his wife that she's been listened that song at that moment and whitsling trough the house everyday and burning Murray's ears and mind? :lol

Edington

Let's Get Volatile
I don't know if I'd go as far as to say he was inspired by it (or maybe he was, given "The Nomad"... :ninja:), but there's definitely a similarity. Who knows, OW's a well known song, maybe he had it somewhere in the back of his mind as he wrote that melody, or maybe it's just complete coincidence.

Whatever, this is still one of Dave's greatest compositions and a fantastic way to end my favourite album. Dave and Bruce (for the most part) really shine on this song. The verses could've done without the weird vocal doubling and the melody isn't all that, but the final section is one of the most beautiful and uplifting parts Maiden have ever come out with. Solid 8.

TheTalisman

Fågel
Really liked Murray's idea of putting a clean guitar together with distorted guitars in this song in the final section. When Two Worlds Collide uses this as well together with Brave New World. However in Brave New World, Murray doesn't switch to overdrive until the first chorus.

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
Heavy start to the song. The riff is good, the verses & the pre-chorus too. The actual chorus is one of the best things in the song. The middle part (similar to the one in ''The Nomad'') is so effective. Bruce's high pitched singing during this part is trademark for him. Good solos from Dave and great triple-lead guitar harmonies. The song is full of melodies and it's one of those Dave songs that are underrated. 8/10

TheTalisman

Fågel
General CommentI've not long Finished reading Brave new World, and what RainbowDemon is saying really fits the song well.
"At what age begin to learn
of which way out we will turn"
This Seems to be talking about the 'conditioning' that every child in Brave new world have to go through. At what age do they begin their path? As soon as they are decanted, they have their social class specified and have no way to change that.
This seems to follow John's Final bleak outlook on life and society very well, about how he feels everything is much too complicated, not just a good and bad, or love and hate. The thin Line between love and Hate, for John, seems to be crossed when Lenina trys moving on John, who Loved her, but snaps at the sight of her (last chapter) and whips her almost. if not, to death.
Well, thats how i see the song anyway. Great song. Ikkieon July 30, 2006 Link

General CommentThis song is the concluding song about Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It generalises the theories put forth in the book and analyzes them. It is from the point of view of John the Savage, because he understands in the end that he will escape the world that he is from and will go on to eternity where he will be free and live forever. the_apparition has some good points, if you throw that in with what I'm talking about from the book then it all makes sense. John realises that the world is so much more complex than had ever realised.

GhostofCain

Ancient Mariner
Nice interpretations @TheTalisman, but I bet the meaning of the song has nothing to do with Brave New World. The latter was one of Bruce's lyrical contributions and not the overarching theme for the album or any other song off it. :)

That being said, it is time to re-read Brave New World again. The other day I was driving on the Hog's Back!