The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

How good is The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

• Total voters
Re: 'The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg'

I think this song is really good. That's all I can say about it. I like it, and for me, it's not worst song on album.
I always have doubts about lyrics. Is BB just fictious character or is he a symbol of some sort? I think he's Seventh son of Seventh son himself.
In SSOSS album we have watched Seveth son's life, as if he choosed good side. But I think this song is about evil version of him.

What did I do to deserve all this guilt
      Pay for my sins with the sale of my soul
      Demons are trapped all inside of my head

What did he done? Choose the evil path. He really sold his souls. Demons in his head... It reminds me of Clairvoyant, and his visions:

Is this a dream or is it now? Is this a vision or normality I see before my eyes?

I'm able to see things, things I don't want to see

And he's able to see things he don't want to see just as clairvoyant.

The lives of a thousand souls weigh heavy down on me

When he chooses good path, the whole village has been destroyed. And what if he choose bad path, won't it be worse?

ROBB:                    Reincarnate, still in me live again
Infinite dreams:      And to return and live again,  reincarnate, play the game

Could it be that Benjamin Breeg is not Seventh son? In my opinion, no.

Apart from our "theories" in commentary, it's viable to say that Harris had some weird dreams and inner demons throughout the years, which influenced his songwriting greatly. Dave Murray had a cool riff, Harris just scrambled the lyrics in his dark style, with his typical themes of "haunting me", "save me from myself", etc.

Just a thought here. I highly doubt that this is the case, at least intentionally on the part of the band, but could Benjamin Breeg be the seer from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son? That album does make reference to reincarnation, and there's a possible guilt factor - maybe related to the village?

I think that band forgot about Seventh Son right after the tour ended. To revisit the concept, mount an encrypted message into a song 18 years after, on an album that has nothing to do with Seventh Son...damn!  :D

Maverick has in fact raised the same question in his commentary for the song, but unfortunately did not go in-depth about it.

Daily Song: The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I quite like it, but it is a little bland. 7/10.

Re: Daily Song: The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

I like it very much, especially the intro, but the melody seems to repeat over and over again...

Fantastic song. By-the book reunion era epic song. 10/10!

I found this to be a disappointing introduction to AMOLAD. The disappointment was forgotten when I discovered how great the rest of the album was, and as the years have passed this one has slowly crept up my list. I love the intro, the heavy, relentless main riff and the instrumental section. The rhythms seem so precise and Bruce’s performance is outstanding. Strong eight.

Heavy. Heavy. Heavy. The mid-tempo main riff has ground itself into my skull, as have the incredibly heavy power chords that lurk beneath the harmonic mid-section. The repeating riffs add to the impact of the heaviness..quite relentless. I love the pink floyd "sorrow" sounding opening and Dave proves once again that shredding is not necessary when composing great metal solos. I love how Nicko accentuates the first heavy vocal line with two simple beats on his snare. Bruce delivers big time.

I love this song. That riff is super heavy, great lyrics, and Bruce is giving his all! Not to mention the beautiful solo by Dave! 10/10

9/10. Really heavy... everything about this tune is great, but Dave should have at least doubled the length of the solo. Even better live...

Probably my least favourite from the album, but good nontheless. 7

A good album when you rate your least favorite song a 7!

Yeah, its one of my faves! Very consistent all the way through. :)

Yup It's one of my favs too. 

It's a very unusual song for Maiden. What I really don't like about it is the vocal melody line, it sounds so awkward.(7/10).

A ten, this was the highlight of the show last summer.  Just killed.

That was another thing I forgot to mention! Loved the pause before the outro. Just silence for about 3 seconds. Definitely the coolest part.

I quite like this track. The driving beat, the torturous soul that is the subject of the song, Bruce's vocals towards the end. It was, as with most of us, my intro to A Matter of Life and Death and it was the first track that got me (that was until Brighter than a Thousand Suns came along). 8/10

Back