The philosophy behind Maidens music.

I don't see the point here, but yes I have it.

Guess you speak for AMOLAD...
Yes I have all but one Maiden albums, in many formats : LP, cassettes, CD
I have many singles, all the 10 first years etc etc... so what?
If I hadn't I wouldn't be able to talk ??

Do you have the limited edition (which wasn't that limited when the album came out)?
edit: I ask this in order to see if you can see this DVD yourself

I don't think so, it's not written somewhere 'limited edition' nor it has any bonus thing.
Only the usual : Songs, some photos & the lyrics

I see. No, I don't like limited editions, I usually buy the normal ones.

Yet I don't recall to see it in Fnac, the very first day that it was out, but even if I would
again I'd had purchased the normal edition...

Well, your own opinion about the lyrics is your own opinion, and that wasn't a mistake. You can always disagree with lyrics. E.g., I can imagine some people might not agree with the lyrics written by McBrain in "The New Frontier".

The thing is: You said your view is Steve's view. That's not a terrible sin or something, but it wasn't correct.

By the way: limited editions rule, you get to know the band (and the songs) a bit better.  :D

But Foro, don't forget that each song is by itself an independent being -or it should be.
Knowing the maker's opinion that's fine, but yet each song or piece of art has its own life,
once it's delivered from the hand of the Artist.

Yet it does interest me to know what Harris said  ;)

Quetzalcoatlus said:
But Foro, don't forget that each song is by itself an independent being -or it should be.
Knowing the maker's opinion that's fine, but yet each song or piece of art has its own life,
once it's delivered from the hand of the Artist.

That's true. And that's why the Commentary came to existence. ;)

Quetzalcoatlus said:

I am not sure if I have time to transcribe it but some of it might be in the FTGGOG topic of this forum?

Why don't you
convert it into mp3 and PM it to me ?  :devil:
For exchange,
I'll introduce you to a very nice album (I'm DL it right now, for your eyes only  B))

Meanwhile I'll search it to IMC, I've just bookmarked the new URL

Fuck, what a topic, that time was a golden era for the forum, you saw all those (long) posts ?? Great(er) one  :ok:

I liked this quote
*of course Jesus is not a prophet in Judaism, but I agree with Mav's approach regarding Abrahamic religions.
And as I mentioned, usually we, the western world, mean those religions when we say 'religion'

Maverick said:
You can see it like this, but keep in mind that Jesus is a prophet in all of the "big three" (Judaism, Christianism, and Islam), so we can simply consider that the lyrics deal with abrahamic religions, which anyway constitute the beliefs of the majority of the population on the planet.

Oh, and Jesus's message was one of love and tolerance, and he died died for it. He'd be quite cheesed off to see what atrocities have been committed in his name since he ended up on the cross...  -_-

No Harris' quote but a fucking awesome reading. If you noticed, all the conversation was Jewish-Christians-Muslims.
Is what I was telling you about how a western see the religion. He'll never think of a Buddhist or an Hindu.

Here something that you should like : Dickinson says that they speak for any religion
gor said:
A blabbermouth news article brought up a link to an audio Dickinson interview for some American Radio station. During this interview, Bruce says that the song was inspired by the "conflict in the Middle East", although it does reffer to all religion-based conflict

http://www.wrif.com/media/2006_10ironmaiden.asx

No they don't really, I agree.

Still they give us the image of the cross. Plus, in the end of the song: Rather a clever lyric -trick
The contradictory is the highest when using Christ, so he put the cross in the end,
to make the impression more touching.
Also this is his culture and his main audience culture.

Well
The good news are that after all this reading, conversation and internal research, I start to like the lyrics more...

Forostar said:
Alright, maybe someone can make a transcription of what Steve said.

Quetzalcoatlus said:

Maybe I didn't put it in shiny enough letters but this (The last post I made in this thread) is actually the transcript of what Harris said on "A making of AMOLAD" about FTGGOG:

Jonszat said:
"There's a line in the song that says "Religion has a lot to answer for" and it's kinda an argument. I'm not anti-religious in anyway really but I'm not pro-religion either, so we had a few debates about it, kinda thing, and I think it's quite relevant to whats going at the moment. It just ask the question really" Steve Harris from the making of A Matter of Life and Death.

Reumeren said:
I'm not trying to be an asshole

You better not be. That's my job around here. :bigsmile:
Quetzalcoatlus said:
He gave his life for us, he fell upon the cross
To die for all of those who never mourn his loss

Forostar said:
I don't think Judaism and Islam deny that "event".

Judaism and Islam don't deny Jesus was crucified. They do deny the second part, about Jesus dying for other's sins. So this is most definitely a reference to Xianity, not all religions.
Now that I've read the rest of the thread ...

The song itself may be about religion in general, but that specific lyric above I have always heard as a Xian reference.
So it's talking about all religions, but pointing one out for more specific attention.

Kind of like how you could write a song about Nazis, but point out Hitler as being worse than the rest.

HELL YES I JUST GODWINNED THE THREAD :yey:

I want to see that, and more of interviews with the songwriters.

Hey, remember these are songs and alexander the great is a good example of how they tend to be focused on history, And like Flight of Icarus
  As the sun breaks, above the ground,
An old man stands on the hill.
As the ground warms, to the first rays of light,
A birdsong shatters the still.

His eyes are ablaze,
See the madman in his gaze.

Fly, on your way, like an eagle,
Fly as high as the sun.
On your way, like an eagle,
Fly touch the sun.

Now the crowd breaks and a young boy appears,
Looks the old man in the eye
As he spreads his wings and shouts at the crowd,
"In the name of God my father I'll fly!"

His eyes seem so glazed
As he flies on the wings of a dream,
Now he knows his father betrayed
Now his wings turn to ashes, to ashes his grave.

Fly as high as the sun.
On your way, like an eagle,
Fly touch the sun.

Fly as high as the sun,
On your way, like an eagle.
Fly as high as the sun,
Fly touch the sun,
Flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Fly as high as the sun!
Aaaaaa!
tend to focus on lore, we have to remember, it may be just music. :ok: What a great debate, I never expected this thread to do what it did.

Back