The philosophy behind Maidens music.

79transam

Prowler
Hey Fans, Just a topic designed to have a look at the philosophy that goes into Maidens stuff. I really have to say, the songs really hit home sometimes with the comparison between them and some observations I have made of the world today. From historical events to the now, Maiden has been the leading band in my cd player that actually manages to hold my eyes open. So pick up your foolish pride, no going back, no place, no place to hide.  :ok:
Been listening to the "Matter of Life and Death" cd all morning. For the greater good of God. Wicked song. What are your thoughts on it? What are they trying to say? I'd like to hear your opinions on it.

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but you should really correct your nick. It says: ''he said your blind'', when it should say ''he said you're blind''. I usally don't correct people's grammas as mine is probobly worse, but this was on your nick.  :)

What I like about Maiden is that the range of topics are so great, like you said. But on philosophical matters I have to say that life after death is a central theme.

Reumeren said:
I usally don't correct people's grammas as mine is probobly worse, but this was on your nick.  :)

usually
grammar
probably

:innocent:

*runs for the wrath of Reumeren*

Forostar said:
usually
grammar
probably

:innocent:

:lol:

@Reumeren : Use Mozilla Firefox, it has automatic orthography correcter integrated  ;)

-----------
Back on topic :
Been listening to the "Matter of Life and Death" cd all morning. For the greater good of God. Wicked song. What are your thoughts on it? What are they trying to say? I'd like to hear your opinions on it.

For the Greater Good, is a huge song musically, yet lyrically I find it very banal. The theme is common:
Christianity the religion of love which killed so many people.
So I would have expected some more original lyrical approach, to make it more interesting, than
Please tell me now what life is
Please tell me now what love is
Well tell me now what war is
Again tell me what life is

or
For the greater good of God x 8

There's a very nice thread about the song -->here
And there is a whole board for songs commentary -->here ...Just in case you didn't know  ;)

By the way : Welcome!  :welcome:

I am 100% sure this song isn't about Christianity only. 'Arry never picks out one religion specifically.

He gave his life for us, he fell upon the cross
To die for all of those who never mourn his loss

I don't think Judaism and Islam deny that "event".

Anyway, the song shouldn't be interpreted too literally (neither should the bible), it's a bigger vision, not narrowed to Christianity only. I rather say it's about people using religion as reason for their actions.

Surely the lyric "Religion has a lot to answer for" shows it's about Religion as a whole, as opposed to just Christianity?

Judaism? Forget about it, Jesus is not accepted.
In Islam Jesus is accepted, but only as prophet and not as a son of God.*

Anyway, the song shouldn't be interpreted too literally (neither should the bible), it's a bigger vision, not narrowed to Christianity only.

I don't think that any other religion made such crimes to the name of God except those three.
Killing in the name of God is originated mainly from the Book religions.

So no, I can not see this song like it is written for all the people, generally.
It's clearly written by someone that he's Christian, and focuses to the AC era
Pagan people they never mixed religion in their wars.

-----
*EDIT: Also keep in mind that Muslims they don't even accept that Jesus was crucified, they believe
that somebody else was crucified in his place

I don't think that sentence is the core of the text. Harris isn't blind for atrocities done by people in name of any religion. I am afraid your view on his text is as fundamentalist as how literally some people interpret holy books.

Quetzalcoatlus said:
@Reumeren : Use Mozilla Firefox, it has automatic orthography correcter integrated  ;)

I might follow up on that. Ever since I rebooted my computer I've used ie.

About For the Greater Good of God, I've always felt that this song is about Islam. Islam is a self-proclaimed Religion of Peace, yet they are clearly the religion that breeds the most hate in the world, so they go to holy war. I just get this feeling when I'm reading the first line of the song:

''Are you a man of peace, or man holy war?''

But the general theme is religious fundamentalism, which appear in every religion.
Forostar said:
*runs for the wrath of Reumeren*

Just wait to see what my followers will do for the greater good of Reumeren...

Quetzalcoatlus said:
I don't think that any other religion made such crimes to the name of God except those three.
Killing in the name of God is originated mainly from the Book religions.

What makes you think that? And how does that support the thesis that this song can only be about Christianity and not about Islam?

Forostar said:
I don't think that sentence is the core of the text. Harris isn't blind for atrocities done by people in name of any religion. I am afraid your view on his text is as fundamentalist as how literally some people interpret holy books.

I don't think that either, but I'm not aware of any other religion than the mentioned three, that people made crimes in its name.

no1. I can't see the text for religion generally, it would have been an insult for some other religions
like African religions, Hinduism, Shamanism etc etc

no2. From where it comes that my view is fundamentalist?  

Perun said:
Leave it to no5 to come up with zany ideas that never cease to make me lost for words. What makes you think that? And how does that support the thesis that this song can only be about Christianity and not about Islam?

Read more carefully what I said, and the answer is there : I spoke about three religions
the religions of the Book : Judaism, Christianity, Islam. The song can perfectly apply to any of those three.

Reumeren said:
And people killed eachother over religious matters before the abrahamic religions as well.

I'd be glad to know an example...

Quetzalcoatlus said:
Read more carefully what I said, and the answer is there : I spoke about three religions
the religions of the Book : Judaism, Christianity, Islam. The song can perfectly apply to any of those three.

Quetzalcoatlus said:
For the Greater Good, is a huge song musically, yet lyrically I find it very banal. The theme is common:

I really love it when you twist your own arguments afterward.

Quetzalcoatlus said:
Not at all, as I said the song is written by a Christian... I don't see any contradictory

Quetzalcoatlus said:

Do you even read your own posts?  :huh:

He speaks from the Christian's point of view, so I mentioned this first.
After -and well before you ask- I said that it could apply to Judaism and Islam as well.
I don't see the problem.

Back