The "Ozzfest Incident"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, a friend of mine told me this yesterday and today I came and read all the news in various sites and almost every comment people have done.

Well, Sabbath is a great, no, A GOD BAND ! None of us would be here if they hadn't done what they did (along with Zepellin and Purple).

But, for all I know, besides the Ozzfest festival, the Sabbath camp is idle, no records have been done for ages I think (Am I right ? I'm not a fan of them).

I really don't like "The Osbournes" reallity show, as I don't like any other reallity show. Although The Osbournes can be fun sometimes (seldom if you ask me) its a shame to let the personal life of your family be exposed for all the world to see.

Bruce: Well, he isn't a perfect one. If you force your memory you will remember that a few years ago has was ranting about MTV and Metallica. I can agree with SOME of his opinions, but to have the same speech all the nights is just boring. It was said that he was "bitching the festival" in backstage interviews and so. Well, this is not advisable, but one person can have his own opinions or not ? As far as I know Bruce haven't taken these "opinions" to the stage (until last show at least).

And now we go to Sharon. I don't know her and for the little I know of her I don't like. The three dozen eggs thing, the Ozzy chanting on the PA, the sound system going out, and at least, her statement at the end of the show, all of this is childish. EVIL CHIDILSH if you ask me.

The press reviews on the previous weeks were all for Maiden. I haven't heard a word of Ozzy and band...

This was a silly reaction of someone who can't afford not being the center of the attention (Sharon). I'm pretty, PRETTY glad that Maiden carried on with their set and did the whole show. When all the things were going out of hands they calmed down and did what they know with respect and profissionalism. They are the F***ING BEST. The fact that lots of people left the venue before the Sabbath show was even better.

All in all, all of the situation is quite funny. To me sounds like a dying band trying to get some extra life by bitching others.... Surely Sabbath and Ozzy doesn't need it (Maybe Kelly....... [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--])

Before Samsom there was Sabbath. That's right Sharon !
And before Sharon there was SABBATH TOO !!!

P.S.: Good to see that Duke fixed the statement about the Union Jack in Brazil. Our capital IS NOT Buenos Aires [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]P.S.: Good to see that Duke fixed the statement about the Union Jack in Brazil. Our capital IS NOT Buenos Aires[/quote]

That's what I get for posting when I'm only semi-awake. I apologise!

[!--QuoteBegin-MaidenTennessee+Aug 22 2005, 12:12 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(MaidenTennessee @ Aug 22 2005, 12:12 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Sharon is trying to play on America's patriotic sensibilities. [/quote]

And not only that. She also tries to set up Steve (and the rest of band) against Bruce. Let's hope this also won't work!

[!--QuoteBegin-Forostar+Aug 22 2005, 04:26 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Forostar @ Aug 22 2005, 04:26 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]And not only that. She also tries to set up Steve (and the rest of band) against Bruce. Let's hope this also won't work!
[snapback]116167[/snapback]​
[/quote]
This is the impression I got from the Bruce - Steve exchange. Again, I just don't get it why Sharon would want to do that.
In any case, I'm quite disgusted by this. These are unworthy methods, considering that Maiden and especially Bruce could get a bad label after this. I hope not.

[!--QuoteBegin-IronDuke+Aug 22 2005, 11:59 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Aug 22 2005, 11:59 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Waving an American flag during 'The Trooper' would be like waving a Swiss flag during "The Clansman". [/quote]

I don't understand this, can you elaborate ?

Spillsome, your extreme nationalism gets the better of you. Or should you have chosen Christof_Blocher as a nickname? [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] good one mav

From [a href=\'http://www.ironmaiden.com\' target=\'_blank\']Iron Maiden[/a] :

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]22/08/2005San Bernardino

IRON MAIDEN wish to thank all the 45,000 Metal fans at Ozzfest in San Bernardino on Saturday night for sticking with us and giving us such a great response at the end of a difficult set. It was obvious to all there that we had a 'series of unfortunate events' throughout! These made it difficult for us to keep our momentum but your incredible support certainly helped us get through it. We guess it all adds up to a pretty memorable gig though!!!

This is, however, a Metal Festival. It is supposed to be fun for all. You fans pay very good money to be there and deserve to get a full and unhindered performance from all the bands. This was not the case last night.

So with this rather bizarre end to a good tour we are returning to the UK today for the Leeds and Reading Festivals and once again thanks to all of you who came out to see us these last few weeks.

FROM IRON MAIDEN

More later[/quote]

now compare this statement to this:

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]August 21, 2005
LAST SHOW FOR MAIDEN

Iron Maiden were chosen for the Ozzfest tour because the Ozzfest committee felt they were a good band, plus the fact that they had not done shows in the U.S. for some time. From day one, Bruce Dickinson started berating Ozzy and belittling the Ozzfest audience. He stated he"didn’t need a reality show to give him credibility"; "we're not just some f*cking reunion band"; and continuously complained about the sound system, saying that when he comes back to America he’ll have a better one. I understand he hasn’t toured in the U.S.in these size venues in a while and no longer understands the political structure of things. Out of 200-plus bands over the last 10 years, he has been the only person who hasn’t had the Ozzfest spirit. He thought he was at a battle of the bands, always making other comments about the other artists.

Might I say, the rest of the band are gentlemen and have a great professional attitude. The crew are absolutely great. But how sad it was, after 10 years, that this little man tried to ruin it for everyone. The bands of Ozzfest don’t even look at Ozzfest as touring, but as its heavy metal summer camp. Bruce is in fact a jealous prick and very envious. None of his tirades were directed at Sabbath, only Ozzy. Steve Harris [Iron Maiden's bassist] personally came to Ozzy in San Bernardino and apologized for Bruce’s behavior this summer, stating that he and the rest of the band were "embarrassed" by their own singer.
It also offended me every night how he took out the English flag in America. There are American boys going to war alongside the English boys every day. How dare he forget the American troops on their home turf. He has had no respect for the American audience he has been playing for, stating in an interview, "When you do the 'hits' tour here [in the U.S.], the audience is smug, and there's a sense of self-satisfaction, like, 'We got what we wanted…I'm looking at an audience that is self-satisfied and happy and fat, and getting what it wants and isn't prepared to get off its ass.."

Before there was Samson there was SABBATH!

Ozzfest 2005 continues on with our summer of fun with the addition of Velvet Revolver. This is where the fun begins….. [/quote]

(from [a href=\'http://www.ozzfest.com\' target=\'_blank\']Ozzfest[/a] )

I think the second is "a bit" poor... Iron Maidens is much more professional

p.s. I know that both were posted before [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Aug 22 2005, 02:03 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Aug 22 2005, 02:03 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Spillsome, your extreme nationalism gets the better of you. Or should you have chosen Christof_Blocher as a nickname?  [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]116177[/snapback]​
[/quote]

No, Maverick, I don't like Blocher at all.

It is just that my english is not that good and I wanted to know what IronDuke wanted to say about the swiss flag, because I don't understand...

that is all

The Duke mentioned the Swiss flag probably because he thought of me (he loves me you know, but it's all very platonic [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ). He could have mentioned the Australian flag or any other that his thoughts would have been the same: if any flag has to be waved during 'The Clansman', it has to be the Scottish one, and no other. The same applied to 'The Trooper': the Union Jack is the only one.

Got it? [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

And if you really wanted to piss people off, you could always wave the Russian flag during the Trooper.

[!--QuoteBegin-spillsome+Aug 22 2005, 11:24 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(spillsome @ Aug 22 2005, 11:24 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]No, Maverick, I don't like Blocher at all.

It is just that my english is not that good and I wanted to know what IronDuke wanted to say about the swiss flag, because I don't understand...

that is all
[snapback]116180[/snapback]​
[/quote]

My point was that the American flag is completely irrelevant to the events being described in The Trooper. The Crimean War was a conflict involving the French, British, and Turks on one side and the Russians on the other.

The analogy that the Swiss flag is irrelevant to the The Clansman is that the song describes a conflict between Scotland and England.

/feels the joke has lost its value

according to a post by Shawn Meuse, singer of american tribute-band Run To The Hills on the knac.com message board, Black Sabbath's soundman had been playing with Maiden's front of house sound and particularly Bruce's microphone-channel at the Hartford show.

read at: [a href=\'http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=3814&StartTime=8%2F21%2F2005+12%3A14%3A26+PM#rants\' target=\'_blank\']Knac.com[/a]

Maidenfans,

This is my account to what occured at Ozzest on Sat. Aug. 20.
This is my 7th time attending an Iron Maiden concert. I arrived at 700pm and sat down. The place was full and to my best estimate the place had 50000 to 55000 people. As always Maiden put on a great effort despite the following problems:

1. Eggs/Objects being thrown at them esp. during Murders and The Trooper.

2. A person carrying a large American flag ran across the arena and on the side of the stage during The Trooper.

3. The speakers/sound system were disconnected four times during Phantom, Hallowed and on two other occasions.

4. At the end of the show when Maiden were waving farewell, a recording was played on the loudspeaker praising Ozzy.

5. Sharon Osbourne came out and told the crowd that Maiden were an excellent band but then called Bruce Dickinson a prick.

Of course to any Maiden fan the above occurences were upsetting. Iron Maiden did not quit and did not lose their cool. Iron Maiden had the majority of the crowd on their side. I can safely say that they had 65% of the audience. The crowd was shocked and surprised.
Sharon Osbourne was upset at Bruce apparently over their playing time of 55 minutes and Sharon was the one behind the egging, the flag, the sound/speaker problems, etc.
I hope that Maiden in the future would play their own headlining tour so none of this happens again. I am very upset to see what Maiden went through.
I stayed to witness Black Sabbath for the first time and Maiden were just better than Black Sabbath. They were better because they had more response than Sabbath. Ozzy was almost pleading for the fans to react and sounded frustated at times.
In conclusion, I had never witnessed what happened to Maiden that day. Hopefully, the Maiden boys remain strong and only time will tell whether playing at Ozzfest was beneficial or not.

Up the Irons Forever!!!
Pico-Union

Whole ozzfest is just business, like most of events in US. I'm not blaming you American people, it's just your way to make money. Good example is WWE: Sport-business wich isn't even sport. It's just drama.

Almost whole world is runned by popular-culture. The US. has become "polluted" by popular-culture. My point is that ozzfest isn't right place for such bands as Iron Maiden. It's for popular shit....

US. is great place, but I just can't stand that overflowing pop-culture...

That's the way I feel this "tragedy"...

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I just can't belive the official statement from the "sabbath-camp". Not professional at all, more like small children blaming eatchother...[/quote]

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The ozzy camp just embarassed themselves basically.[/quote]

its not the Sabbath-Camp... Sabbath has nothing to do with this! Its the Ozzfest camp!

[!--QuoteBegin-ScreamForMeZurich+Aug 22 2005, 11:28 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ScreamForMeZurich @ Aug 22 2005, 11:28 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]its not the Sabbath-Camp... Sabbath has nothing to do with this! Its the Ozzfest camp!
[snapback]116267[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I totally agree!

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]OZZFEST, Hang Your Head In Shame: The Backstage Perspective - Aug. 22, 2005
The manager of a well-known heavy metal band (*NOT* IRON MAIDEN) who attended this past weekend's Ozzfest show at the Hyundai Pavillion in Devore, California has submitted the following first-hand account of the evening that will surely go down as one of the most shameful moments in recent rock history (NOTE: at his request, the author's identity is being protected by BLABBERMOUTH.NET):

"Saturday night's Ozzfest at the Hyundai Pavillion near Los Angeles was a debacle on so many levels, I am still in shock as I write this. As a fan of many of the bands [Saturday] night, one can only hope this was an isolated incident, but sadly, it most likely wasn't. As many of you have heard already, co-headliners and metal legends IRON MAIDEN were pelted with eggs, bottle caps, beer cups, spit on, had people from the Ozzfest camp talking over the PA during their set, had 'Eddie' delayed from his onstage entrance, had members of the [BLACK LABEL SOCIETY] entourage rush the stage with American flags, and had the PA intentionally turned off over 6 times, all by the OSBOURNE CAMP.

"While it's still unclear as to the exact reasons why the terrorizing started (rumors abounded as to why, with everything from Bruce calling out Ozzy in the U.K. rock magazine Kerrang! on the widely known fact that Ozzy uses a teleprompter, to various vague references said on stage about a 'reality show' at an Ozzfest stop in Detroit), one thing was very clear: The whole thing stunk, and left me, and nearly all of the 40,000+ heavy metal fans in attendance angered and disappointed. Not that behind the scenes bickering or magazine trash talking is anything new to rock fans, but the shocking lack of professionalism at one of the largest stops in North America in front of 40,000 + spectators, at the hand of the Osbournes was nothing short of disgusting.

"It all began early in the afternoon, when many side stage bands were openly approached in clear view of everyone backstage by Sharon and Kelly Osbourne to 'join them in throwing eggs at IRON MAIDEN this evening.' All the bands were encouraged to rally the other side stage bands to do so. Members and/or friends of the hardcore band BURY YOUR DEAD were seen actively trying to encourage other side stage bands to 'join in the fun.' Thankfully, many side stage bands angrily declined.

"Later that evening, as IRON MAIDEN came on stage, their intro was interrupted by [BLACK LABEL SOCIETY] hanger-on and biker wannabe Big Dave, who was at the soundboard loudly chanting 'Ozzy, Ozzy' over the PA. MAIDEN opened their set and the entire band was pelted from the front row with eggs, beer, beer cups, spit, and various other objects by an Ozzfest-credentialed, bandana-wearing, Osbourne entourage. IRON MAIDEN, ever the professionals, continued through their set, and by the time they launched into their second song, 'The Trooper', Bruce changed into a civil war-era, red coat and began waving a Union Jack — British flag. Then, someone in, or associated with, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY tried to rush the stage waving and American Flag with the words 'Don't fuck with Ozzy' scrawled across his bare chest. He was tackled and beaten by MAIDEN crew and promptly thrown off stage.

"As 'The Trooper' ended, frontman Bruce Dickinson, with characteristic spunk, launched into a scathing attack on the people terrorizing his band, calling them 'a sorry excuse for an Ozzy Osbourne fan,' and wondering aloud how, 'three dozen eggs could get snuck into the front row of Ozzfest by people with Ozzfest laminates?' Though he never named names, all in attendance could understand who he was referring to. Nicko McBrain ran up to the front asking Bruce to hold on while he cleaned egg off his drums. He then stated the the next song wouldn't be heard on 'Your local cocksucking corporate radio station, wouldn't be seen on MTV anymore, and sure as hell wouldn't be played on a fucking reality TV show,' met by a huge roar from the crowd.

"During the song 'Hallowed Be Thy Name', Bruce, after only the first two lines, stopped singing and ran to the front row, firing back at his terrorizers, saying 'That asswipe right there, with the curly hair, the fucking glasses, and Ozzfest laminate throw his fucking ass out of here right now. It's gonna take more than eggs to stop IRON MAIDEN, and if it wasn't for a lawsuit, I'd rip your fucking head off right now, you piece of shit!!!!' He had the various attackers ejected and continued with a blistering version of the song until right before the big sing long at the end, the PA was INTENTIONALLY cut off. When it came back, Bruce launched into another scathing attack saying that they were supposed to play a shorter set than normal today, and only play 55 minutes, but IRON MAIDEN can't drive 55, or play 55, and were going to play our whole fucking set tonight.

"The band endured six more 'PA cuts,' including having the power to their amps turned off at one point. When the PA would come back on, they would simply launch into the next IRON MAIDEN classic, never missing a beat. Frankly, with every PA cut, the band just got meaner and meaner, playing each new song with an anger and a fire that was at times, simply astonishing to watch. Bruce began the introduction to IRON MAIDEN with a speech about 'Your constitution has something about 'We The People.' Well let me tell you, the only reason we are up here tolerating this bullshit, is because of you people. You have been amazing Glen Helen, and there are A LOT of IRON MAIDEN fans here tonight,' eliciting a huge roar from the crowd. He continued, 'It's gonna take more than eggs to stop IRON MAIDEN, NOTHING is going to come between us and our fans, and it will be death before dishonor, this is 'Iron fucking Maiden',' which was greeted by a thunderous applause. During 'Iron Maiden', longtime MAIDEN mascot Eddie was purposely delayed from making his entrance, making a brief appearance at the end, and one could only wonder as to how. As the band closed there set with a furious version of 'Sanctuary', the PA was again cut only to have Big Dave repeatedly chant 'Ozzy' over the PA, while the band tried to say goodbye to their fans. The now-furious crowd angrily drowned him out with chants of 'MAIDEN, MAIDEN.'

"Then, not 10 seconds after MAIDEN left the stage, Sharon Osbourne walked on stage and predictably, tried to give MAIDEN some fake, half-hearted praise about how they'd like to 'thank IRON MAIDEN,' and what a wonderful band IRON MAIDEN are, and how their crew were 'fantastic,' then sneering, 'But Bruce Dickinson is a prick.' The entire crowd, now fed up with the entire affair, began loudly booing her, pelting her with beer cups, and yelling 'bitch.' She tried to carry on, adding that 'Bruce had disrespected Ozzfest,' only to be drowned out by an ocean of boos, and soaked with beer. She slammed the microphone down and stormed off stage. Many in the crowd, fed up with what they had just witnessed, especially considering that many had come solely for MAIDEN, and paid upwards of $150 to do so, left in droves. SABBATH played to maybe half the audience that was there prior, and seemed stagnate compared to the band preceding them. As a huge fan of SABBATH, I honestly couldn't stand to watch them.

"I've seen IRON MAIDEN probably 10 times in my life, and frankly this was the very best IRON MAIDEN show I've had the pleasure of witnessing. You DON'T want to fuck with IRON MAIDEN. The more the Osbournes tried to fuck with them, the better they got! IRON MAIDEN was on fucking overdrive! Considering the amount of terrorizing and intimidation that IRON MAIDEN had to deal with at the hands of the Osbournes and the other side stage and main stage bands participating, they were the consummate professionals. They had the crowd in the palms of their hands, and IRON MAIDEN and Bruce Dickinson proved beyond a shadow of a doubt why they are the greatest metal band on earth right now, and quite possibly, the classiest, too.

"The Osbournes are drunk with power. Shame on them, and shame on ANY of the bands that participated in the terrorizing and intimidation. It was disgusting display, that NO BAND should have had to endure, but especially a legend like IRON MAIDEN. That fact that it happened in front of 40,000+ people, at a Clear Channel-sponsored event, while Hyundai Pavilion Security turned a blind eye and let the Osbourne camp pelt one of the main headlining bands with eggs, beer, and spit, was simply inexcusable.

"I will proudly be attending next year's MAIDEN fest, and as much as I hate to say it, I can't bring myself to spend another dime on the Osbournes.

"Ozzfest, hang your head in shame."[/quote]

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] A photo of IRON MAIDEN bassist Steve Harris performing at this past weekend's Ozzfest in Devore, California with egg shell on his shoulder and falling off his elbow has been posted online at [a href=\'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/metalsteph/082005_harris_egg.jpg\' target=\'_blank\']this[/a] location (photo credit: Neil Lim Sang). Also available is a [a href=\'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/metalsteph/082005_janick_egg.jpg\' target=\'_blank\']photo[/a] of MAIDEN guitarist Janick Gers performing with his left foot placed on a stage monitor that is covered in egg slime.

As previously reported, IRON MAIDEN were pelted with eggs, interrupted by chants for Ozzy Osbourne, and inexplicably had their power cut several times during its final Ozzfest performance in Devore on Saturday night (August 20). In addition, Osbourne's wife and manager, Sharon Osbourne, came onstage following MAIDEN's set to call MAIDEN singer Bruce Dickinson a "prick," while offering thanks to the rest of MAIDEN and their crew.

Ozzfest continues tomorrow (Tuesday, August 23) in Albuquerque, New Mexico, with VELVET REVOLVER replacing MAIDEN on the tour's last seven shows.[/quote]

Source: [a href=\'http://www.blabbermouth.net\' target=\'_blank\']Blabbermouth[/a]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back