The "Ozzfest Incident"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephellim

Ancient Mariner
Some people have stated that they cannot download the mp3 rants by Bruce and Sharon at the notorious Ozzfest show which was earlier posted on Blabbermouth. Apparently the files have been removed.

Luckily I downloaded them earlier and have zipped the 3 files. For those of you who do not have it, you can download the rants [a href=\'http://rapidshare.de/files/4233948/rants.zip.html\' target=\'_blank\']at the following location.[/a]

[!--emo&:duckie:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/duckie.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'duckie.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Thanks for posting these, mate [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Since the news thread on this is closed (wankers!), I'll post what I have to say here.

I'm disgusted. I used to have some respect for Ozzy, but not anymore. This crossed the goddamned line. No band, whether it be as big as Iron Maiden or as small as the guys in the garage down the street, deserves to be treated like that when they're trying to entertain the fans.

I think alot of this can be traced to one thing, plain and simple jealousy. Ozzy's SINGING career was over about 10 years ago. If it weren't for gimmicks like Ozzfest and that retarded tv show, I doubt anyone but a small clique of die-hard metal fans would even know the guy's name.
Maiden, on the other hand, has kept their intensity and actually gotten BETTER and MORE POPULAR with time on the merits of their ability to ENTERTAIN people.

Does Ozzy's music suck? No, of course not. I liked it before, and I will like it tomorrow. Will I ever buy another Ozzy CD or other merchandise? No. Sharon (and by extension Ozzy himself) obviously don't need/want the support of the fans if they think ruining such an awesome act as Maiden for them is ok. All because Bruce apparently said their TV show was crap.

My respect for Bruce has skyrocketed to even greater heights. He couuld have walked out after the first eggs were thrown. Did he? No. He had an obligation to the thousands of fans who came to see their favourite band play. Iron Maiden is, in the most genuine sense of the term, a class act. I'm going to buy another t-shit this week in support.

Ozzy can have his little festival. Maybe he'd be happier with Metallica there now.

EDIT: Mav, I see you're closing threads on this topic. Feel free to delete my post if you want. I just needed to vent.

AWESOME! I hope Bruce's quote about breaking the egg-throwers arm is in there somewhere....

Before this thread gets into pure hate-talk, I would like to say that I understand the indignation of the fans. We know about Bruce's temper and the fact that he wears his heart on his sleeve. Hearing his anger is infectuous.

Having said that, and in spite of a very strange Ozzfest or even stranger TV shows, I still respect Ozzy. Although I feel sorry for him and have no intention of sabotaging him.

Let's not be like those idiots and throw eggs back now.

I don't intend to let this thread turn into pure hate-talk. Sharon Osbourne may be a money-thirsty businesswoman who turned her husband and her whole family into a circus attraction in order to earn a living, but statements like "Sharon is a bitch" or "fuck Sharon" won't be tolerated.

Let's show that we are more intelligent than them over at the IMBB and express our feelings in a decent and argumented manner. Thanks in advance.

Sharon Osbourne has issued the following statement via the official Ozzfest web site, Ozzfest.com:

"IRON MAIDEN were chosen for the Ozzfest tour because the Ozzfest committee felt they were a good band, plus the fact that they had not done shows in the U.S. for some time. From day one, Bruce Dickinson started berating Ozzy and belittling the Ozzfest audience. He stated he 'didn’t need a reality show to give him credibility'; 'We're not just some f*cking reunion band'; and continuously complained about the sound system, saying that when he comes back to America he'll have a better one. I understand he hasn't toured in the U.S.in these size venues in a while and no longer understands the political structure of things. Out of 200-plus bands over the last 10 years, he has been the only person who hasn't had the Ozzfest spirit. He thought he was at a battle of the bands, always making other comments about the other artists.

"Might I say, the rest of the band are gentlemen and have a great professional attitude. The crew are absolutely great. But how sad it was, after 10 years, that this little man tried to ruin it for everyone. The bands of Ozzfest don't even look at Ozzfest as touring, but as its heavy metal summer camp. Bruce is in fact a jealous prick and very envious. None of his tirades were directed at SABBATH, only Ozzy. Steve Harris [IRON MAIDEN's bassist] personally came to Ozzy in San Bernardino and apologized for Bruce's behavior this summer, stating that he and the rest of the band were 'embarrassed' by their own singer. It also offended me every night how he took out the English flag in America. There are American boys going to war alongside the English boys every day. How dare he forget the American troops on their home turf? He has had no respect for the American audience he has been playing for, stating in an interview, 'When you do the 'hits' tour here [in the U.S.], the audience is smug, and there's a sense of self-satisfaction, like, 'We got what we wanted…I'm looking at an audience that is self-satisfied and happy and fat, and getting what it wants and isn't prepared to get off its ass..'

"Before there was SAMSON there was SABBATH!"

"Ozzfest 2005 continues on with our summer of fun with the addition of VELVET REVOLVER. This is where the fun begins….."

Source: [a href=\'http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=40717\' target=\'_blank\']Blabbermouth[/a]

Sharon obviously didn't understand the meaning of the Union Jack being waved during 'The Trooper'. I didn't expect any less from her.

I wonder if Steve Harris really apologized for "Bruce's behavior". If true, this is an important (significant) information. I'm afraid we never know the truth!

[!--QuoteBegin-JackKnife+Aug 22 2005, 12:10 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(JackKnife @ Aug 22 2005, 12:10 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]If true, this is an important (significant) information.
[snapback]116126[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Exactly. This has happened before. We had a chance to read Steve's apologetic [topic=9641]comments[/topic] on Bruce's criticism of the American audiences.

The question is: What does it tell us?

You know, Ozzy may have had nothing to do with this, and in fact Sharon did this behind his back... We shoudln't assume he ordered the attaack on maiden so even though i'm not big into sabbath, or the osbournes, sharon is the nly one to be blamed for all that has happened untill further proof.

It offended her that he took the 'English' flag out?

Firstly love, its the British flag.

Secondly, Bruce has been waving that flag for 22 years in all countries around the world. Including America. Why should they be any different, its part of the show.

Bruce says what he wants, fair play to him.

I cant actually download that zip file, not sure how to do it, it does say apparantly it cant be downloaded today at the bottom of the screen... thats probably it [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-The_7th_Son+Aug 22 2005, 01:50 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The_7th_Son @ Aug 22 2005, 01:50 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I cant actually download that zip file, not sure how to do it...
[snapback]116144[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Scroll down, choose dowload type "free", wait 30 secs or so (there's a countdown at the bottom of the screen) till rants.zip appears.

All I do is hope for the following: Sharon Osbourne finds a huge co-headliner for the shadow of Black Sabbath (such as Metallica), finds her sales breaking in so the Ozzfest next year will be a big flop. That will damage her ego so much that she will creep back into wherever she came from and leave her fingers from the music business. Hopefully, she will persuade Ozzy to quit Black Sabbath, so the band can find a real singer and do some original music again.

However, I doubt it will happen. I suppose she will get enough support from the US Army for her to continue Ozzfest.

But I think she will notice that Iron Maiden are way more popular than she or her wrecked puppet is.

It's just pure jealousy.

Bruce had some critical comments but he never ruined the festival.
The band never deserved such a treatment.

I admire them for playing their full set in these circumstances. You need a tank to get them off the stage!

Respect!

edit: A Maiden message:

A Message From Iron Maiden

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IRON MAIDEN wish to thank all the 45,000 Metal fans at Ozzfest in San Bernardino last night for sticking with us and giving us such a great response at the end of a difficult set. It was obvious to all there that we had a "series of unfortunate events" throughout! These made it difficult for us to keep our momentum but your incredible support certainly helped us get through it. We guess it all adds up to a pretty memorable gig though!!!

This is,however, a Metal Festival. It is supposed to be fun for all. You fans pay very good money to be there and deserve to get a full and unhindered performance from all the bands. This was not the case last night.

So with this rather bizarre end to a good tour we are returning to the UK today for the Leeds and Reading Festivals and once again thanks to all of you who came out to see us these last few weeks.

FROM IRON MAIDEN

More later

[!--QuoteBegin-charlotte+Aug 22 2005, 07:11 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(charlotte @ Aug 22 2005, 07:11 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Exactly. This has happened before. We had a chance to read Steve's apologetic [topic=9641]comments[/topic] on Bruce's criticism of the American audiences.

The question is: What does it tell us?
[snapback]116134[/snapback]​
[/quote]

It tells us that Steve is a bit more diplomatic than Bruce, and grasps 'the bigger picture' whereas bruce, as you yourself said, wears his heart upon his sleeve. It's not a sign of disunity in the band; it's a sign of one trying to look out for the other.

As for the flag thing: I'm sure the Scots and Northern Irish will be glad to know they're no longer part of the United Kingdom. It's called the "UNION JACK" for a reason.
From what I understand, Maiden has waved it in every country they've played. Hell, I think I remember seeing it being waved in Argentina - a country with which Great Britain was at war with only a few years beforehand! Did the fans care? I don't bloody well think so.

Waving an American flag during 'The Trooper' would be like waving a Swiss flag during "The Clansman". I doubt Americans are so insecure in their own patriotism that they'll take it as a sign of disrespect to see another nation's flag once in a while. Methinks that comment is just pandering on the part of Ozzfest's organizers, in the hope of turning American fans against Maiden. I doubt many will buy it.

[!--QuoteBegin-IronDuke+Aug 22 2005, 02:59 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Aug 22 2005, 02:59 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Methinks that comment is just pandering on the part of Ozzfest's organizers, in the hope of turning American fans against Maiden.
[snapback]116154[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Any theory why they would want to do that? I seriously doubt these people are driven by much else but profit. Jealousy? I don't know...

The only time I heard fans getting annoyed seeing the Union Jack was when they played Dublin on the Death on the Road tour... and they didn't boo them off the stage or anything like that, they were just not that into the trooper because of it...

The Union Jack was waved in Argentina (not Brasil) and caused some uproar with a minority in the crowd at the time. Most people do not seem to understand the meaning of it (Mrs. Osbourne certainly doesn't!). As 'The Trooper' is a song about the Crimean War in the mid-19th century, and about a British soldier chargeing at Balaclava, it'd be difficult to wave any other flag, wouldn't it? If you don't believe me, re-read the commentary.

And leave the Swiss flag out of this, Dukey! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I am an American who is also a Maiden fan. I am as patriotic as anybody else in the U.S. I love this country.

That being said, taking offense at Bruce waving the Union Jack / Bristish flag / Whatever you call it, doesn't even cross my mind. Why would he wave an American flag when he is singing a song about a battle that didn't involve Americans?

The poster above is correct. Sharon is trying to play on America's patriotic sensibilities. It's not going to work, in my opinion.

Did we get offended when Def Leppard was wearing the Union Jack anywhere they could stick it? No. Despite what you guys may read in the press, American's are not ignorant and we aren't that close minded. If anything, we admire people who are proud of where they are from.

Done.

[!--QuoteBegin-charlotte+Aug 22 2005, 09:05 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(charlotte @ Aug 22 2005, 09:05 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Any theory why they would want to do that? I seriously doubt these people are driven by much else but profit. Jealousy? I don't know...
[snapback]116155[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I'm not sure, but they might be hoping to hurt Maiden's album sales and increase their own. Who knows?

I noticed above someone posted a statement from Maiden - if it is indeed from the band, I think it's kinda cool that it echos what I said in my first post on this issue. Great minds think alike, I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back