The Official LGBTQ Thread

That's the first I've heard about it, the story has all but vanished. Maybe there'll be more publicity when the act gets royal assent.

There was a mention in the HuffPost and even in the BBC but no real big hoopla. Maybe its drowning in the wave of gay marriage legalizing going on right now.

Probably been overshadowed by the weather warnings! Maybe they lost interest when they realised it wasn't as controversial as they'd expected, too.

There was a mention in the HuffPost and even in the BBC but no real big hoopla. Maybe its drowning in the wave of gay marriage legalizing going on right now.

It's had stories in all the main news outlets in the UK now, but still seems to be getting more attention in the US press than in the media over here.

That's cause you guys take everything with a grain of salt.

We love to obsess over this stuff here in the States and make a big deal out of it to make ourselves feel involved and important.

"Well, I've never met a gay person in my life, but if they can get married why don't we just allow seahorses to marry chickens, too?! Huh?! HUH?! Now I have to explain to my daughter why seahorses and chickens have the same last name!!! UGH. I'm gonna go eat at a McDonald's inside of a WalMart so I can rant with other people who feel the same way!"

I would like to see a half seahorse/half chicken .. so we should let them marry (in fact encourage it)

That's cause you guys take everything with a grain of salt.

We love to obsess over this stuff here in the States and make a big deal out of it to make ourselves feel involved and important.

"Well, I've never met a gay person in my life, but if they can get married why don't we just allow seahorses to marry chickens, too?! Huh?! HUH?! Now I have to explain to my daughter why seahorses and chickens have the same last name!!! UGH. I'm gonna go eat at a McDonald's inside of a WalMart so I can rant with other people who feel the same way!"

If only they cared half as much about politics :(

We're confused by politics. It's easier to blindly make statements about people than it is to make such statements about laws, policies, and history.

'Murica!

Thinking about gay marriage in the US, realistically the chances of every state performing gay marriage in the near future is zero, I think the chance of the Supreme Court forcing them to is also near zero.

The key, and there are some cases working their way up the food chain on the premise that Full Faith and Credit should apply.

This is in the Constitution

Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereo

This has been used in marriage before, for example divorce laws in some states (especially in the NorthEast) were incredibly strict in the 1950s. You would find many couples going to Nevada for a quickie divorce to get around that. Vegas made a ton of money based on that and quickie marriages, there are still things like drive thru weddings there. But once you were married or divorced in Nevada (or any other state), you were married or divorced everywhere.

Each state has different requirements for marriage amongst heterosexual couples ... examples include the need for blood tests, how closely related the couple can be, how old they must be (and possible varying exceptions around age). For example one state may allow a 16 year old to marry, another might require 18 years. If the 16 year old couple is married in a state that allows it, the 18 year old state must honor the marriage.

How this affects gay marriage is DOMA excludes gay marriage from Full Faith and Credit .. and some states preclude themselves from recognizing gay marriage.

The best bet for universal gay marriage in the US is to override DOMA and states from not recognizing same sex marriages. In short order, you will see gays from states that do not permit gay marriage going to states that do and coming back home legally married in the home state.

Is it right that they need to travel to get married, not really. But it was not right that a couple in New York had to go to Nevada to get divorced in the 50s. The main difference is now people are a relatively cheap plane ticket away or possibly a long drive depending on where they are. If this happens, just live divorces states will start allowing them more quickly when the majority of people see gay couples being married and realize the Earth has not stopped spinning.

This is what I see happening and it may only be a few years away. I think it is the most probable and in the end the best way for it to happen. A court or national decree forcing all states to permit gay marriages right now will be very controversial to too many people and will cause much strife. The Full Faith and Credit way I think has a better chance of changing minds rather than ramming it down people's throats and is more in line with the Constitution and States Rights.

I dunno. A lot of legal scholars I read think it'll probably be the law of the land within 10 years, once a critical mass of states has gay marriage. It's going to keep going on ballots and before long pretty much every state that voted Obama will have it.

Well, some states do not allow ballot measures and though I am sure the vote would be different today, in 2008 California voted against gay marriage the same time they were voting for Obama. I am not really seeing Ohio, for example, voting for gay marriage in the next 10 years.

I think at some point it will be legal everywhere, but the fastest path for people in every state to be married would be Full Faith and Credit.

Here is a handy map of who allows initiatives

http://www.iandrinstitute.org/statewide_i&r.htm

They are missing one category, states that require a vote for Constitutional changes. I am not sure of the full list, but Texas has that. If the legislature proposes a state Constitutional change, the people must vote on it. Not sure what other states require that.

My bad, I did not read the footer

"Every state allows the legislature to place a measure on the ballot. Every state except Delaware requires a popular vote to approve constitutional amendments."

I think at some point it will be legal everywhere, but the fastest path for people in every state to be married would be Full Faith and Credit.

Oh, it's one path. There's a lot of people who think Kennedy wrote an Equal Protection argument into the decision for the Prop 8 case too, which would need another lawsuit. I dunno. SCOTUS can make it legal, and probably will, sooner rather than later.

I will bet you, bearfan, that by the end of this decade, Ohio will have legalized gay marriage.

The only way I see it happening by 2020 in Ohio is via courts. I do not see the legislature or a popular initiative passing

Thinking about gay marriage in the US, realistically the chances of every state performing gay marriage in the near future is zero, I think the chance of the Supreme Court forcing them to is also near zero.

The key, and there are some cases working their way up the food chain on the premise that Full Faith and Credit should apply.

This is in the Constitution...
That is how it works in Mexico. Currently it is only legal in Mexico City, specifically the Federal District (D.F), but it is recognized by all states. So They can go there, get married, go back to their home states and have it recognized.

Back